Camp Ukulele

Jerry, not to hijack the thread, but your query reminds me of an unrelated one, pertaining often to baseball, that has had me baffled for many years:
Often, in the context of a 3-game series, when each team has won a game thus far, you'll hear the broadcaster refer to the third (tie-breaking) game as "the rubber game of the series". I cannot figure out how that expression might have been born, what the concept is behind it... any thoughts?

As lifted from the Oxford English Dictionary ( https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/rubber )

‘A contest consisting of a series of successive matches (typically three or five) between the same sides or people in cricket, tennis, and other games.
‘the opening rubber of Britain's Davis Cup tie against Argentina’

A deciding game in a rubber of cricket, tennis, etc.’

I hope that that confirms Lee’s clarification of a word that has several different meanings.

I’ve long been interested in Camp (round body) type Ukes. It’s a very different body shape and I assume that it was considered simpler (cheaper) to make and more robust than the traditional figure eight shape. To my mind the design must compromise sound quality but for its intended use that could be an acceptable trade-off against cost and durability.
[Edit. I guess that the alternative easy build ‘Cigar Box’ shape isn’t so easy to pack and is more likely to ‘catch’ its corners on other things, maybe the round shape is deliberately Banjo like to.]

Last edited:
I’ve long been interested in Camp (round body) type Ukes. It’s a very different body shape and I assume that it was considered simpler (cheaper) to make and more robust than the traditional figure eight shape. To my mind the design must compromise sound quality but for its intended use that could be an acceptable trade-off against cost and durability.

Good point. A circle is a very easy shape to make.

Top Bottom