Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 25

Thread: Camp Ukulele

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Catskill Mountains, NY
    Posts
    1,578

    Default Camp Ukulele

    Why are round ukes called camp ukuleles? Barry reviewed the one below, but he thought the sound was too weak, probably because the bridge is down so low.

    https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0748761...v_ov_lig_dp_it
    Last edited by Jerryc41; 05-15-2018 at 05:00 AM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    7,338

    Default

    Several manufacturers, including Gretsch and Lyon & Healy, produced cheap, simply made ukuleles in the 1920's, when ukuleles were incredibly popular. They were dubbed Camp Ukuleles, because they were cheap and sturdy and you could take one anywhere without worry. Now any uke made in that style is usually referred to as a Camp Ukulele.



  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,081

    Default

    I have heard that the Lyon and Healy version is actually a fun uke and decent player when set up well.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    7,338

    Default

    Some of the Lyon & Healys have really nice fit and finish. I've never played one, but they sure are pretty. I have played some vintage Gretsch camp ukes... and let's just say that they were probably good for keeping the fire going.



  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    I can hear Disneyland fireworks...
    Posts
    270

    Default

    I had read that the Lyon and Healy’s were called the "camp uke" because of the "fireside chats" that FDR had over the radio during the depression. Camping in the outdoors had also become popular.
    The round blue and green ukuleles by Gretsch are called "army ukes" because they were sent with the GIs during WW2. I have one with a case that has Fort Dix stamped on it.
    If life seems jolly rotten,
    There's something you've forgotten,
    And that's to laugh and smile and dance and sing! - Eric Idle

  6. #6

    Default

    What I want to know is.....why is an Irish new age music artist endorsing ukuleles? (Enya)
    It takes a gentleman to suffer ignorance and smile.
    Tenor Lanikai LKP-T
    Tenor Kala KA-ATP5-CTG (Thank you Mrs. Hatchet Chuck)
    Soprano Watermen, (black)

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xtradust View Post
    I had read that the Lyon and Healy’s were called the "camp uke" because of the "fireside chats" that FDR had over the radio during the depression. Camping in the outdoors had also become popular.
    The round blue and green ukuleles by Gretsch are called "army ukes" because they were sent with the GIs during WW2. I have one with a case that has Fort Dix stamped on it.
    I'd like to see a picture of that green uke.
    It takes a gentleman to suffer ignorance and smile.
    Tenor Lanikai LKP-T
    Tenor Kala KA-ATP5-CTG (Thank you Mrs. Hatchet Chuck)
    Soprano Watermen, (black)

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,081

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xtradust View Post
    I had read that the Lyon and Healy’s were called the "camp uke" because of the "fireside chats" that FDR had over the radio during the depression.
    I thought that the L and H instruments were made prior to that time.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Catskill Mountains, NY
    Posts
    1,578

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RichM View Post
    Several manufacturers, including Gretsch and Lyon & Healy, produced cheap, simply made ukuleles in the 1920's, when ukuleles were incredibly popular. They were dubbed Camp Ukuleles, because they were cheap and sturdy and you could take one anywhere without worry. Now any uke made in that style is usually referred to as a Camp Ukulele.
    That makes sense, but why does round equal camp?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Catskill Mountains, NY
    Posts
    1,578

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HatchetChuck View Post
    What I want to know is.....why is an Irish new age music artist endorsing ukuleles? (Enya)
    Is there any connection besides the name?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •