Baritone Ukulele’s - but not Pono – what are good mid-range baritone choices?

Strumaround

Reaction score
Recently bought a baritone uke and I’m loving it. It’s at the lower spectrum of the all-solid type (Kala), but I’m loving playing it anyway. Can’t believe how much I like the warm ‘almost, but not quite’ guitar sound. A step away from the punchy tenor sound, but still a uke. I also love the low string tension and wide neck.

However, I can see that sometime over the next few months, to a year, I’m going to want to start looking at higher end baritones (OK, I admit, I’m already looking). Especially mahogany, or a similarly warm tonewood (what other woods should I consider?)

I won’t be able to afford thousands of dollars, so perhaps (to pick a random range) somewhere between $600-$1,200. However, there seems to be a dearth of baritones to choose from, apart from Pono, which I never really liked when I’ve played around with them in shops. I find the neck too thick and the fretboard too narrow at the nut (I’ve got big fingers). I also find their sound a bit too 'bright', even the mahogany ones.

(I was also considering the Romero Grand Tenor, but I wonder if that would still be too close to a normal tenor in sound and ‘feel’? Has anyone got any experience with both?)

Anyway, thoughts, discussions and recommendations would be very much appreciated.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Yep, Kanilea checks all the boxes, especially with what you said about wanting a wider nut.

There's another thread about baritones right now positively mentioning Larrivée that might be worth having a look as well. Apparently, the nut width is 1-13/32".

The Romero Creations Grand Tenor will still feel and sound much like any other tenor, so not really an option for a "mini baritone", in my opinion.

Despite your exclusion of Pono, I have to say that I love the ones I have played, especially their lines of Baritones and their Nui as well as their ULN models. Here is the all Mahogany ULN:

https://www.theukulelesite.com/pono-deluxe-mahogany-ul-nylon-baritone-ul4n-2.html

LoPrinzi is in your price range.
I've never had the pleasure, but they have many ardent fans.
The make baritones out of solid mahogany and cherry your choice.
I've read that they have a wide fret board too.
http://www.augustinoloprinzi.com/

Brian Griffin of Griffin ukuleles, is building a baritone with 1 1/2" nut. He also does his tenors with the same width unless asked to do otherwise. Great sounding ukes.

To be honest, if you currently play an all-solid mahogany Baritone, you will probably have to upgrade to a premium quality instrument (like a K brand) to notice a difference in quality.

Kala's all-solid mahogany is probably as good as it "noticeably" gets at the under $1000 price range.
Kala comes with truss rods too nowadays, which is a plus.

I don't understand the mid-range philosophy. You buy a middling baritone, and later you sell it at its depreciated price to finance getting a top shelf ukulele. I say cut out the middle man and go straight for dream baritone--something like a koolau. Here's how I finance such projects: I just take a bit from every paycheck and set it aside for ukulele. It doesn't take long to build up. In a year, e.g., you would have more than enough money to get a piece of awesomeness--unless your dream is to get one of those Jay Lichty $5000 creations.

LoPrinzi is in your price range.
I've never had the pleasure, but they have many ardent fans.
The make baritones out of solid mahogany and cherry your choice.
I've read that they have a wide fret board too.
http://www.augustinoloprinzi.com/

I have a spruce/koa LoPrinzi and it is the nicest baritone I have played. LoPrinzi are also makers of classical guitars, so they bring that experience to their ukuleles. With the sprce top, mine has a very guitar-like quality to the tone. The neck has a 1.5" width (same as my Kala had) and has a rather shallow depth. Like you, I tried several Ponos and could not get used to the neck. A solid mahogany one will come in near the bottom of your budget and play like one at the top. My search for the perfect baritone ended when I got my LoPrinzi.

If you are looking at solid mahogany, the other option would be to look for a vintage Favilla. I just got one for around $400 and there is some intangible quality that accompanies vintage mahogany.

To be honest, if you currently play an all-solid mahogany Baritone, you will probably have to upgrade to a premium quality instrument (like a K brand) to notice a difference in quality.

Kala's all-solid mahogany is probably as good as it "noticeably" gets at the under $1000 price range.
Kala comes with truss rods too nowadays, which is a plus.

Thanks. Yes, it has a very nice sound. Quiet but deep, if that makes sense.

However if, as it seems, I'm going to be happiest on Baritones as my main instrument, then it would be nice to have one that has a somewhat better build quality. The Kala is fine, but is noticeably mass produced. Nothing wrong with that in itself, of course, but if I'm going to treat myself…

The LoPrinzi looks interesting. I'll keep that in mind.

The Kala Doghair Mahogany baritone looks interesting, although it's a bit shorter, so I'd be concerned about how deep the sound would be.

I don't understand the mid-range philosophy. You buy a middling baritone, and later you sell it at its depreciated price to finance getting a top shelf ukulele. I say cut out the middle man and go straight for dream baritone--something like a koolau.

Before you can buy your dream ukulele, you have to know what it is. It's easier to refine and define preferences if you have first hand experience with instruments. If you buy a $500 baritone and you don't like the size or how baritones generally sound, you'll be out $150-200. If you buy a $2000+ baritone and it's not your thing, you will probably lose more and likely have a harder time selling it (and it's too expensive to keep around, at least for many people). Also, if it took me 20 months to save up for a $2000 instrument, and five months to get a $500 instrument, I'd get the cheaper one first and then play it for 20 months.

The best approach is probably to buy the mid-range instrument used, then you lose even less. Case in point, I sold my Pono baritone (the PC model, so probably a bit above mid range) to someone, and then, almost two years later, I bought it back from him at the same price (it was in pristine condition and the rosewood model had been discontinued). He essentially got to play it for free for two years. I feel this is a great strategy. It does limit one's choice a little, though, at least outside of North America.

I know you are thinking of holding a more expensive bari, but, the Kala cedar top with (Living Water) fluorocarbon strings sounds really good - (& I like my solid mahogany ukes too).

Another thing that surprised me was a solid acacia uke, I didn't think I'd like it as people seemed to say it was a 'bright' sound, but I would term it as 'clear' & not quite so rounded as my mahogany/cedar top, (again fitted with fluorocarbon strings).

Listen to all the sound samples you can, then narrow down what it is that you like when you hear it, that's the one to get, (whether it cost $1000s or not). :)

Did you make a decision yet? You might want to consider a Kimo. It's slightly more than the budget you mentioned, but for $1500 you have a custom handmade one-of-a-kind instrument, which includes your choice of woods from the luthier's stock and a nice case.

I had been planning on something like a Pono, trying to stay under a grand. Then I had the opportunity play several Kimos, and I just loved the sound, much more than production-model K brands costing twice as much. I picked up my Kimo bari the other day. Custom crafted sound and beauty at this price might soon be a thing of the past. I chose an ancient piece of sinker redwood for the top and claro walnut for the back and sides (not upgrades).

Since you've settled on bari as your main instrument and mentioned budgeting up to $1,200, I thought I'd mention a Kimo as worth considering for just a little more. I only had to wait five months!

Thanks Cat

I've never heard of Kimo, so will do some research.

Cheers.

Top Bottom