Season 327 - keep a little marc in your heart

bird's eye view of my ukelele

Reaction score

please bring me...

1. any songs written by marc bolan - this could be t rex songs, tyrannosaurus rex songs, john's children songs that marc wrote, solo marc songs, or any of the million trillion gazillion songs by him not released in his lifetime but available now in the form of demos and home recordings

2. i would prefer to hear your uke covers of marc songs, however if you really feel very powerfully compelled to bring an original song, please bring me a homemade marc-style song. that could be...
a supersexy love song
a folk-y song about wizards and wotnot
a song that plays with names (telegram sam, debora looking like a zebra, that sort of thing)
a song that references cars or guitars
a song that refers to space and planets or the sun or the moon
you could also bring a song about, or that refers to, marc or t rex

no song limit

season runs from the start of this sunday, to the end of next sunday, hawaii time https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/usa/hawaii

prize - the bringer of my fave performance* of the week will win this marc season t-shirt (in the t-shirt colour of your choice)...

marc tee - for upload.jpg marc tee.jpg

* i am not necessarily looking for a marc-style performance - trent (recovering bassist) recently brought a bluegrass style cover of a marc song and i loved every moment of it! bring me marc, bring him your way

useful links...

chords
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/artist/t_rex_8863

released songs
https://www.azlyrics.com/t/trex.html

the tracklist on this page shows many of the songs unreleased in marc's lifetime
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Unchained-...=1460094498&sr=8-13&keywords=marc+bolan+t+rex

for those less well known songs with no chords online, you can try running a youtube vid through the chordify website, the site will suggest chords, marc often used bluesy or other simple chord progressions, which can help you to spot the chord patterns he used and work chords out this way
https://chordify.net/

for those not super familiar with the fabulousness that is marc, here's a little taster vid that someone put together of their top 10 t rex songs...

and here's some gratuitous pan's-people-dancing-to-t-rex footage, just for luck

have fun, i love marc's music, i hope you'll find some songs to love too

PLAYLIST

Last edited:
I would never have thought in a million years that you would have chosen Marc Bolan songs, Lynda!!!!!

I'm Bolan'd over by this! Hey, it might be cool Lynda if you put up a list of songs Marc Bolan songs you've covered.

What a surprise!

I think I'll just go by title and see what turns up. There's lots of interesting titles there.

BBC Documentary Final word on Marc Bolan... to get you in the mood for the week.

I think I am more suprised by harry112 only getting half of the prediction right!

Yeah Baby,
Marc Bolan!

from the archives, one of my favorite collabs:
thank you so much for posting that! it's sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo good!!!!! i hope this shows the fun you can have with a marc song, a uke, and a good friend!!

I would never have thought in a million years that you would have chosen Marc Bolan songs, Lynda!!!!!
i know, i wanted to be unpredictable and surprise everyone, i think i succeeded................... NOT!!!!!!!

I'm Bolan'd over by this! Hey, it might be cool Lynda if you put up a list of songs Marc Bolan songs you've covered.
lol! oh but i've only done a few ;)

MY YOUTUBE MARC AND T REX COVERS PLAYLIST

just a hundred and eight vids there, i clearly haven't really been trying!

Yeah that choice just blew me away... I never would have expected it... completely out of the blue.
yup, apologies for the shock factor tonight, i hope everyone is ok :rolleyes:

Steady, we've only got a week!
lol!!!!

What a surprise!

I think I'll just go by title and see what turns up. There's lots of interesting titles there.
yes, i know no one was expecting this! and going by titles is a great idea, marc came up some truly great ones!!

Yes, this is my shocked face ;)
i can imagine!!!

BBC Documentary Final word on Marc Bolan... to get you in the mood for the week.

thanks for that link, loads of great marc clips there!

You've totally felled me with this theme !
i know, it's just so radical!!!!!! i hope you'll recover from the surprise in time to maybe bring us something! :rock:

I think I am more suprised by harry112 only getting half of the prediction right!

Yeah Baby,
Marc Bolan!
i think he went as close as he dared, without psychically pre-announcing the whole season for me!

i can't do notes or solos or any of that fancy stuff, but it's a great week for anyone who can, also, if anyone has bongos, or a cajon, or a couple of suitable cardboard boxes, or an upside down plastic bucket, and the inclination/energy, do bring along some t-rexy percussion!

I would be willing to bet I am the only seasonista to have a pet named for a Tyrannosaurus Rex song. This is gonna be so fun. So really really fun.

I remember we had a discussion about a certain T-Rex riff a while back and decided that it's much harder on a GCEA-tuned uke than a DGBE-tuned uke. Moving that E chord up and down the neck is a killer. Well, here goes. Let's see if I can master it by the end of the week. (And don't tell me to transpose it. The original key is perfect for my voice)

A recently discovered Marc Bolan demo where he was experimenting
with his Larry the Lamb vibrato vocals. It is tinged with Psychodelic
finnish Ukulele and a a fine tempered harmonica. It is believed that
Marc wrote it for a fan of his Lynda Poole and at a later stage it
metamorphosed into his hit tune "Get it on"

Well if Rob's kicked us off here goes:

RAB11 said:
I hope Lynda gives me chance to rock out this week!

Electric uke? Check
Distortion? Check
Open A? Check
Slide? Check

5th or 6th take though as my pickups were misbehaving. Turned the volume up so I could hear, then halfway through the song they'd suddenly wake up and end up being too loud.

I do notes.

Top Bottom