Season 327 - keep a little marc in your heart

Another stab at a great collection of songs. I cannot imagine what he would have done had he lived longer.

Lynda Poole... we may have two long lost musical cousins as my name is John Poole..!!
uke-in' cousins! i know the seasons feels like a family, but i didn't expect to maybe literally share some DNA with anyone!! :rock:

Nope. I haven't wanted one until right now.
this season already feels like a wonderful gift to me, all these great covers and a super marc-loving vibe, i hope everyone will take something from the week....................... a pressing desire to buy a baritone uke asap, sounds like a good thing to take, in my book!!!!! ;)

Lynda, I hope we make you happy this week
i'm already delighted, and it's only the first day!!!!!!! :rock:

Good grief!!

I'm away from my computer for just one day......& look what happens.......I miss my chance to ask "Who's he"..... :smileybounce:

Like the rest of you........I would never have guessed........
lol!!!!!!!!!!!

well i've caught up on some songs, and i can see a load more absolute gems for me to watch a bit later, thank you all for these fantastic vids!!!!!!!!!

I'm having way more fun than I expected, and I'm not sure how much time I'll have the rest of the week. So I'm squeezing in as many as I can early.

Tried this on the Ohana soprano in G, then on the Bari, regular and capo'd at the 2nd. Still didn't work. So I went to the Martin, did it in C (as Steve says, never neglect C), and it came out OK. At least I enjoyed it. Just wish I could whistle better. Whistling would have been more better. :music:

I knew about Marc's more popular works, but it has been a lot of fun exploring some of his less known works! ... Thanks for hosting and really looking forward to hearing different takes and styles of Marc's song this week ~
i feel the same! i think i know marc's songs, and then i trip over yet another new-to-me gem of his over on youtube! it's a never-ending journey of musical discovery!!!!

and yes indeed, not only is it a delight to be listening to so many wonderful covers of marc songs, but where we're having multiple versions of a song, there is the extra pleasure of hearing different people's different takes on it - i'm having SUCH A GREAT TIME! i hope you guys are too! you're certainly making this old marc fan very very happy! thank you! :rock:

wow, i think i am up to date - 23 wonderful vids, and it's still only the first day! friends say it's fine, friends say it's good, everybody says oh wow what a fantastic start to the season!!!!!!!!! :rock:

thoughts going out to everyone continuing to be affected by the brute force of nature over in hawaii. geetee sent me a link to this youtube live feed of what's happening

So, an admission of guilt and a story I have likely recounted before. When I was a kid we had this restaurant in town called “Ken’s House Of Pancakes”, and they had those tiny jukeboxes on the table. We would go there because my parents never learn and I would HOWL for a quarter to play Soft Cell’s version of Tainted Love. Being nine, and this being in the days that preceded Ritalin...I would play the song and dance in the aisles while the waitresses laughed.
Fast forward about five years, and I am sneaking out to go to dances being held in abandoned buildings (as one does), and gobbling up all the early reggae and Northern Soul I can get my hands on.
There was one DJ who always started his set with the Gloria Jones “Tainted Love.” Something about the intro, the tempo. I would risk everything in those days before YouTube to hear that record. It is still my favorite one, though now it is much easier to find than it was then...in California, at a Northern Soul All-nighter in an abandoned firehouse (none of this should have ever happened.)
Fast forward to 1994 (I am 22 now) and I was logging on to this thing called “the internet” for school. It was not long before I realized that information was here- and lots of it. Sought out the Gloria Jones 45, and information.
Bought the record...and then huh. Marc Bolan...T-Rex (the bang a gong guy?), car crash. I had heard the name, but never really engaged. I figured I ought to investigate and man am I glad I did. Turns out the best song on the Bauhaus record the goth girls were ALWAYS playing was by his hand...and my goodness, a treasure trove of other tunes as well!
So yeah. I am just young enough (and far enough removed being in the US- though that seems silly) to not have made the connection with Mr. Bolan until pretty late in the game. Strong favorite for many years since, and this week is certainly a fitting tribute to him. I wish we had more than a week so I could play all his songs. I promise to play many. Thanks for the reason, and reading this really long description of why I cannot spin my Bolan records without spinning Tainted Love as well.

Last edited:
I liked the feel of this one, so I tried it. The lyrics of these songs are something else! lol

I've sped the tempo up quite a bit on this one...…….I figured if I whizz through it very, very quickly no one will notice that I can't sing Lol

Season 327. Submission 1. "Change" (Written by Marc Bolan and recorded by T.Rex, 1974)

Thank you so much for hosting, Lynda, and for this ASTONISHINGLY SURPRISING AND YET BRILLIANT theme!

This is a brand new recording and vid, just finished this morning. I LOVE this song .... couldn't help myself returning to the well. :)

And speaking of that well, both times I've sung this song before, it's been in honor of your connection to His Royal Marcness. As you can see, a new recording each time: 2015, 2017, and now 2018. Love love love this song! Thank you, BEV, for introducing me to Marc's music. :)

Back in 2015: here I am singing with you:

And in 2017, celebrating your 25(x2) birthday:

And speaking of that well, both times I've sung this song before, it's been in honor of your connection to His Royal Marcness. As you can see, a new recording each time: 2015, 2017, and now 2018. Love love love this song! Thank you, BEV, for introducing me to Marc's music. :)

Back in 2015: here I am singing with you:

And in 2017, celebrating your 25(x2) birthday:

Such dedication from one Linda to another (with a "y")! That is really sweet ... and Lynda, you're NEVER 25 (twice), surely!

Obviously I know all the big singles and intend to do a couple more, but thought I'd go digging for some unknown (to me at least) gems and listened to some T.Rex on Spotify on the way to work. Stumbled across this and fell in love with it instantly.

If ever there's a song which sparked Lynda's song writing streak it's this one. (My life's a shapeless horse, if I can't get across....). But I'm pretty sure it also directly influenced the Black Keys because it's the same chord progression as Everlasting Light. So I couldn't help but shoehorn in a verse at the end.

This is less a quick noodle and more a hastily put together one. Now my hand hurts from barring and entire song. Would have been so much easier in A.....

(OH and I know just how much fun you're having this week Lynda, having hosted a week for one of my heroes in the past. As it happens Jack White's playing a show in Brighton in October... As near to a local show as I'm ever gonna get.... and it's on my bloody anniversary. No way am I gonna be allowed out for that one. Spare a thought.)

I usually don't do two videos for a season of the ukulele, but when it comes to Marc Bolan, I couldn't hold back. This one goes out to my subscriber, Doug Potter, who demanded "More T. Rex!"
Here's "The Slider", played on tenor ukulele and tenor fuzz ukulele with singing and whistling. Overdubs of Ubass and secondary vocal, secondary whistle.
This also goes out to Jim, who turned me on to T. Rex forty years ago, and to Lynda, our groovy Season host.

Lynda, you're NEVER 25 (twice), surely!
obviously that simply cannot be! i mean don't get me wrong, yeah i remember listening to marc on top of the pops back in the day - and yet somehow, clearly, i am STILL only 29 - just like i was when i first started on the seasons 5 years ago :D as linda says, that's gotta a typo!!!!!!!!!

As it happens Jack White's playing a show in Brighton in October... As near to a local show as I'm ever gonna get.... and it's on my bloody anniversary. No way am I gonna be allowed out for that one. Spare a thought.)
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm can't you say you're taking your lovely wife to the concert as a wonderful anniversary treat FOR HER???? :confused: can we somehow get away with that??!!

wow people, i'm partway caught up on today's fabulousness, still some more songs to go, i shall be back asap to immerse myself in more marc on uke, everyone and everything is so wonderful THANK YOU ALL :rock:

Top Bottom