Season 327 - keep a little marc in your heart

I found this one and was drawn to it straight away.I started googling for lyrics and chords and an excellent open tuning version by our host Lynda came up.And just reading Wee Rob's explanation in his wonderful psychodelic excursion above and he mentions Lynda Poole.If that is Lynda's name we may have two long lost musical cousins as my name is John Poole..!!
I got this new baritone Kala solid mahogany by mail on Friday.I like it.It doesn't sound all that different to my all laminate Kala.But that's ok cause I like that too.
Broken Hearted Blues

This video is in honour of our host, the way she used to do it.
I think I've picked a song you haven't played yet, BEV

Lynda, I hope we make you happy thus week. I’ll enjoy the vids! I hadn’t heard this in ages, so I’m glad to sneak it in.

Last edited:
Good grief!!

I'm away from my computer for just one day......& look what happens.......I miss my chance to ask "Who's he"..... :smileybounce:

Like the rest of you........I would never have guessed........

Sorry to buck the trend but I've gone for an original. Silly long title, yes, short tune, yes, simple melody lines on the bass strings, yes. That's near enough for me to say it was inspired by Marc :) If I get time I'll try a T Rex tune later in the week, I usually find them deceptively difficult to cover though.

Well here's my 'lil offering, a first for me at some Bolan (played at a slower tempo than the original) with Wesley looking more like a seal in the background.
Cheers for hosting this one Lynda :cheers:

This one is an early contender for song of the week already as Rick and Marc have already posted versions of it. I recorded this yesterday. I normally don't do what others have done during a week, but this week I'm not going to worry about that cause with this theme I literally have no clue what anyone else is going to do.

Hi, Lynda! For some reason, I have had real trouble finding any of Marc's songs that I could even attempt ... so I decided to have a go at this one before anyone else did it. (I thought you might like the purple, er ... things!)

For Season of the Ukulele 327, we're playing songs of Marc Bolan. Here's one I doubt we'll hear another version of this season. "Raw Ramp", for concert ukulele with singing and whistling, with overdubs of Ubass, secondary vocal, and secondary ukulele.

Here's a song that went unreleased in Marc Bolin's lifetime. I just liked the title, so I gave it a listen, and did a quick work up. This was my 2nd full take of it, and I'm not too good at reading some of the bizarre lyrics here, but I was having fun, and the energy was there, so I kept the take.

oh wow i see so many great songs already! only have time to watch a couple right now, will be back to enjoy the rest asap, in the meantime, thanks for such a great start! sunday afternoon here and already a fantastic show!!

It is believed that Marc wrote it for a fan of his Lynda Poole
lol!!!!!!!!!!!!! oh, yes he did! what a wonderful gift and treat! thank you rob!!!!!!!!!!

I do notes.
yes you do!!!!!!! :bowdown:

the unpredictable nature of those clearwaters (i alternate between delighting in, and swearing at, mine! lol!) actually makes them perfect for this week, i listen to alot of the recordings of marc live performances, they can be so rough and raw and crazy and all the more fabulous for it!!!!!!! so an electric uke that delivers pure rock AND the occasional mad surprise, is just the ticket actually!! that take you gave us was perfect, but if you use that uke again and it misbehaves, don't feel you can't bring that moment, just look to the side and yell at an imagined roadie "more monitor, dave!"

thanks to everyone so far, will catch up on more of those vids later :rock:

What a surprise!

I think I'll just go by title and see what turns up. There's lots of interesting titles there.

So. As I said, go by title and I liked this title. When I looked further I found the lyrics interesting too so here's the Ballrooms of Mars given the tootling treatment.
I also had fun with some of the effects in the Gimp (Open Source Photo editor)

I have a feeling we'll get multiple entries of a lot of the more familiar Marc songs, so here's my quick take of "I Love to Boogie." I threw in a couple of off-script boogies: the BEVOMU boogie, the endless boogie, the John Lee Hooker boogie. You could go as far as you want with this: Pinetop boogie, Canned Heat boogie, Thorogood boogie, ZZ Top boogie etc., etc. Have fun!

Well, whod've thought it? Trouble is, I used up "Ride A White Swan" quite a few weeks ago (song No44 according to my increasingly unbelievable diary), so what to do? A bit of noodling, and I turned the camera on for this.

Fantastic theme Lynda! I knew about Marc's more popular works, but it has been a lot of fun exploring some of his less known works! Here is "Life Is Strange" done on my new (to me) Mya Moe baritone uke! Thanks for hosting and really looking forward to hearing different takes and styles of Marc's song this week ~

At the nursing home, we play an instrumental version of "Harbor Lights" that has given me lots of practice in playing this version of the G major chord so I can slide down to F# major and back, fortunately.

Top Bottom