String material tensions

bsfloyd

Reaction score
Hello gang! In regards to different material perceived tension, does it go Nylgut, flourocarbon, then nylon from high to low? If not, what would the correct order be high tension to low tension? What other materials are there and where do they fall in the spectrum? Thanks!

Tension follows linear density more than anything else.

More dense material can be thinner gauges and have higher tension than less dense material at thicker gauges.

Fluoro has more density than both kinds of 'nylon' i.e. (Dupont) Nylon or Tynex and any variant of Nylgut.

On the same scale length, thinner gauge strings will have LESS tension, and thicker gauge strings will have MORE tension.

Worth Strings has like 15 different gauged sets in both/each clear and brown fluorocarbon, and tension varies across a spectrum with them.

See: http://worthc.to/english/w_strings.html

Also, more info can be found in the FAQ link in my signature below.

There's a common misconception that nylgut is high tension when it is in fact comparably quite low. I think it's because it tends to come in higher gauges and is quite stiff so feels harder, but flourocarbon is the highest tension of what you've mentioned there. As Booli says, lots of variations depending on density and formula of flouro but it's high tension stuff.

Thanks for the replies and info!! That is a great link, Booli - thanks!

How does real gut fall into the spectrum? I see a couple makers making real gut strings now, one of them being Aquila I think?

Thanks for the replies and info!! That is a great link, Booli - thanks!

How does real gut fall into the spectrum? I see a couple makers making real gut strings now, one of them being Aquila I think?

I don't think aquila's real gut are for uke though. I think thats more for vintage/baroque instruments.

Thanks for that information, spookelele.

I'm not sure if even that Aquila is hunting stray cats in Italy. Sure there are a lot. Or keeping a cat farm for their intestines.

I sort of doubt that, or hope not anyways. :(

I'm not sure if even that Aquila is hunting stray cats in Italy. Sure there are a lot. Or keeping a cat farm for their intestines.

I sort of doubt that, or hope not anyways. :(

Cat-gut refers to cattle, as in bovine species, and it is bovine intenstines, that were most recently used, and prior to that sheep intestines used for gut strings.

Lots of info on the aquilacorde.com site, and Mimmo has a YT video demoing the process of cutting the intestines into strips after soaking in a brine solution, and then hanging to dry, and spinning into the proper lengths and then sanding them down for the thickness required - a very hands-on and time-intensive process.

You can find all the info on the Aquila web site.

Top Bottom