Mya-Moe is not closing (news May 2018)

The effort that May-Moe have put into building their knowledge assets over the past 10 years makes the sustainablity of the brand viable.

Sounds good. Cary want to continue, rather than change. Gordon and Char have trained him on the methods and equipment. His first few builds will be nerve-wracking. As Gordon said, many companies have gone through different owners. Still, a handmade ukulele is an individual item made by an individual person. It will be interesting to see how this develops.

Sounds good. Cary want to continue, rather than change. Gordon and Char have trained him on the methods and equipment. His first few builds will be nerve-wracking. As Gordon said, many companies have gone through different owners. Still, a handmade ukulele is an individual item made by an individual person. It will be interesting to see how this develops.

I am not sure how I feel about this. A handmade custom built uke is more about the person who builds it than the name on the label. A Kinnard is a Kinnard because John Kinnard built as a LfdM is because of Luis etc. etc. That being said when Gordon and Char brought Aaron on board he had to go through a learning curve and do things the Mya Moe way. Granted he was already a builder so he had a head start.
As I say I have mixed feelings about this and am glad I own a Mya Moe baritone built by the "original" cast and crew.

I am not sure how I feel about this. A handmade custom built uke is more about the person who builds it than the name on the label. A Kinnard is a Kinnard because John Kinnard built as a LfdM is because of Luis etc. etc. That being said when Gordon and Char brought Aaron on board he had to go through a learning curve and do things the Mya Moe way. Granted he was already a builder so he had a head start.
As I say I have mixed feelings about this and am glad I own a Mya Moe baritone built by the "original" cast and crew.

I believe Ko'olau is in the same situation. There is one builder who is responsible for the brand's good reputation. What happens when he retires? On the other hand, it's basically a matter of measuring, cutting, fastening, sanding, adjusting, and applying finish. If a builder does what a previous builder did, the results should be the same - or better.

I believe Ko'olau is in the same situation. There is one builder who is responsible for the brand's good reputation. What happens when he retires? On the other hand, it's basically a matter of measuring, cutting, fastening, sanding, adjusting, and applying finish. If a builder does what a previous builder did, the results should be the same - or better.

Here is where it gets interseting. That would appear to be the case and as long as everything is done the very same way with the same equipment molds and jigs. You wood (mispelling intentional) think the tone would be the same but....... it is more art than science.

I had a lightbulb moment when talking to Luis who builds LfdM. I am lucky to live 10 minutes away and have become friends with him. While visiting one day he talked about thinning tops and backs, tap toning and tweaking the top braces to get "THE SOUND HE LIKES TO HEAR". The light bulb came on and I realized why every builder has his own signature sound. Because it is what HE is striving to hear for HIMSELF. Unless this new guy hears like Gordon it will not be the same.

Might be so close that we can't tell and we might like it as much.......or not. All the same it is an interesting development and we shall see

On the other hand, it's basically a matter of measuring, cutting, fastening, sanding, adjusting, and applying finish. If a builder does what a previous builder did, the results should be the same - or better.
I'll bet you would get a little argument from some builders on that. If it were just a matter of measuring, cutting, fastening, sanding, adjusting, and applying finish anyone could build a world class ukulele. I'm thinking that there is a little mojo that goes on in the process that can't be passed on. Maybe this new guy has even better mojo. I guess we will have to wait and see.

Because it is what HE is striving to hear for HIMSELF. Unless this new guy hears like Gordon it will not be the same.

Sort of off topic but maybe not...

Kamaka used to employ a number of deaf people in their shop to check the tone of uke parts by "feel". So, whatever it was that Mr. Kamaka was listening for could not only be taught to others but could be taught to others who used an entirely different sense to perceive it.

It's about the philosophy and ethos of the builder and how well he instills those things in the folks who do the building. I know there are small boutique shops where one man builds one at a time, but most shops have luthiers who are trained by, and and work under the supervision of a Master Luthier. I would point to Collings Guitars and Mandolins as one example: Bill Collings (RIP) did not personally build all of the wonderful instruments bearing his name, but he trained and instilled in others the ability to make his musical vision manifest.

Who knows, the new may even be better than the old.

Right.
The new owner has every right to change things, if he sees fit.
Things can't stay the same and improve.
I don't own a MM so maybe this is none of my biz, but I sure have heard lots of them, and I wish I had the coin for one.
I'm sure the new owner wouldn't tackle this if he didn't believe he could do the MM uke justice.
I'm glad the legacy will live on!

"Change is good".

Right.
The new owner has every right to change things, if he sees fit.
Things can't stay the same and improve.
I don't own a MM so maybe this is none of my biz, but I sure have heard lots of them, and I wish I had the coin for one.
I'm sure the new owner wouldn't tackle this if he didn't believe he could do the MM uke justice.
I'm glad the legacy will live on!

"Change is good".

I'm sure the new owner will get sufficient training that he can carry on the Mya-Moe tradition, but, of course, there will be changes. The only thing that really counts is quality - of build, appearance, and sound.

Change isn't necessarily good, but it is inevitable. What we want is change for the better.

Top Bottom