Ohana TK-50G with Living Water strings

mikhou

Reaction score
OK. So I have a new Ohana TK-50G that I was underwhelmed with until I switched to Worth Browns. I was struck by the stark contrast in the brashness of the Aquilas that it arrived with vs. the Worth Browns. I shared about that here: http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?133136-Ohana-TK-50G-with-Worth-Browns. After a week of playing it, I still liked the Worth Browns and it fingerpicked well, but it didn't strum well and it was a bit muted.

Today I put a set of Living Water strings on it and this uke just leaped to a next level of playability and sound. It retains the clarity of the rosewood, removes the brashness of the Aquilas, gives it a touch more brightness than the Worth Browns while still retaining warmth, and the notes sing out. And it strums great! I had never tried Ken's Living Water strings before, but now I want to put them on every uke that I have. (My guess is that the Aquilas are still going to be best for my little laminate concert, but I'm willing to give it a go with the LWs.) I've only been playing a year plus and just haven't been in a position to try different string sets, but when I picked up this TK-50G, I knew that I had to find the right set, and right now the right set is LWs.

OK. So I have a new Ohana TK-50G that I was underwhelmed with until I switched to Worth Browns. I was struck by the stark contrast in the brashness of the Aquilas that it arrived with vs. the Worth Browns. I shared about that here: http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?133136-Ohana-TK-50G-with-Worth-Browns. After a week of playing it, I still liked the Worth Browns and it fingerpicked well, but it didn't strum well and it was a bit muted.

Today I put a set of Living Water strings on it and this uke just leaped to a next level of playability and sound. It retains the clarity of the rosewood, removes the brashness of the Aquilas, gives it a touch more brightness than the Worth Browns while still retaining warmth, and the notes sing out. And it strums great! I had never tried Ken's Living Water strings before, but now I want to put them on every uke that I have. (My guess is that the Aquilas are still going to be best for my little laminate concert, but I'm willing to give it a go with the LWs.) I've only been playing a year plus and just haven't been in a position to try different string sets, but when I picked up this TK-50G, I knew that I had to find the right set, and right now the right set is LWs.

Yes, I agree. I love Worth Browns on my Mainland red cedar/rosewood tenor for finger picking, but not so much strumming. Where can I buy Living Water strings? Perhaps I'll give them a try. I do like Worth Browns on my Kala solid mahogany tenor for strumming.

Yes, I agree. I love Worth Browns on my Mainland red cedar/rosewood tenor for finger picking, but not so much strumming. Where can I buy Living Water strings? Perhaps I'll give them a try. I do like Worth Browns on my Kala solid mahogany tenor for strumming.

The two places that I have found to buy them are directly from Ken Middleton (Google him) or Uke Republic.

Ohana ukes and Living Water strings are like a match made in heaven! :cool:

Ohana ukes and Living Water strings are like a match made in heaven! :cool:

Ken worked really hard on his strings to get both playability and tone. He has a large collection of ukuleles so he was able to test on many wood combinations. He was also working for Ohana for many years. I like LW’s and use them on several ukuleles.

I had Low-G Living Waters on my TK-50G before I sold it. They sounded very good. Better than the Martin 620 Fluoros or the Worth Clears I had on it. The original Aquila Sugars were just okay.

Did you use low-G or reentrant LW strings on the TK-50G?

I use re-entrant. I've strung up a uke once with low G (this Ohana) and it just didn't sound right to my ears. It was probably more about me than about the instrument.

Top Bottom