play a wedding?

diezo808

Reaction score
hmm. i just got a message on youtube asking me if i would play "somewhere over the rainbow" at her wedding. i'm not good with crowds or strangers. especially people who gawk while i play my "little guitar". "rainbow" has always been one of those songs i forgot how to play on purpose because it's always the most popular song that i get requested. it's my excuse to not have to play it.

i don't think i want to play for someone's wedding who i don't know. i mean it's one of the biggest days of 2 peoples lives. that's twice the horror if i blunder.

i think i have to decline...

Ah cah mon Diezo. We all know you can jam with the best of em. We've all seen your youtube videos. It's great that someone you don't even know asks you to play for them. I know its kind of nerve racking, but we all know you can sing and play excellently. Go for it! Is is just one song or are they asking you to play an hour or so?

...not to mention...there's a lot of $$$ involved in weddings! Think about it...like $100 for a couple of minutes! Lol!

hmm. i just got a message on youtube asking me if i would play "somewhere over the rainbow" at her wedding. i'm not good with crowds or strangers. especially people who gawk while i play my "little guitar". "rainbow" has always been one of those songs i forgot how to play on purpose because it's always the most popular song that i get requested. it's my excuse to not have to play it.

i don't think i want to play for someone's wedding who i don't know. i mean it's one of the biggest days of 2 peoples lives. that's twice the horror if i blunder.

diezo808, I've played plenty of weddings. But check it out,.. I've actually played IZ's "Somewhere over the raindow/wonderful world" on the ukulele at a funeral by request too. Now that was hard. It was for a child who only lived a few hours. I didn't even know the child but it still got to me and I barely made it through the song. However, you should do it dude. It's obvious that your version of this song touched her heart. Be flattered that she asked. Besides it's a happy occassion and that's always a good vibe. Go for it brother!...e.lo.

diezo808, I've played plenty of weddings. But check it out,.. I've actually played IZ's "Somewhere over the raindow/wonderful world" on the ukulele at a funeral by request too. Now that was hard. It was for a child who only lived a few hours. I didn't even know the child but it still got to me and I barely made it through the song. However, you should do it dude. It's obvious that your version of this song touched her heart. Be flattered that she asked. Besides it's a happy occassion and that's always a good vibe. Go for it brother!...e.lo.

+1

Don't worry about how you possibly could mess up. You should think more about how much they must have enjoyed your video, and how your music really must make them happy. Dude, that is a blessing in itself. Go for it. :)

(besides they usuall have pretty good food and free liquor ;) )

deeeeezo! just go for it bro. i know exactly how you feel. anytime anyone sees me with my uke, they ask if i can play that song. and just so they dont end up begging, ill play it right away, but only for a few measures before something "catches my attention" and i "have to stop to look and say whoa". hahaha. but whenever there is a performance, its almost a given that someone will request that song. best to have it under your belt (from what i learned recently) than to forget it and try out of guilt to play it again, or to just refuse and take the chance that they think youre too stuck up for it. not that it matters, but then again, when you are on stage and performing... it kinda does matter.

you were one of my biggest influences in learning the uke, and probably my biggest influence in actually posting up vids of playing uke. if you had that kind of influence on me, imagine what you could do for some of the people in that audience that just had a sparkle of an interest in ever learning the uke.

thanks for the support guys. i also don't know why i put this in guitar discussion. i'm having issues with starting topics in wrong places.

nah, can! jus think of it as a jam session. no shame!

You should totally do it, brother. When you're up there, just close your eyes and let go.

dude I think you would do great for the wedding. Go for it man.

I had to play for my brother's wedding. It was pretty freaky, but it went well.

So we did a mic check during the rehearsal and this is what my sister over heard the sound guy say "... yeah, I have to set up the sounds for this guy who is playing a, pfff!, yookoolaylee..." THat pissed me off kinda, but I still ended up playing and it was awesome. If you can, I think you should do it!

Top Bottom