KoAloha Super Concert vs. KoAloha Tenor

specialmike

Reaction score
Does anyone know the difference between a super concert and a tenor from the KoAloha line of ukuleles?

As of right now, I own a tenor and I've been wondering what the benefits from owning a super concert would be. From what I understand, both have twenty frets and can be made of solid Koa. Apart from one body being larger than the other, are there any other benefits from owning the super concert opposed to the tenor?

IF so, perhaps that will be my next uke that I buy.

Apart from one body being larger than the other, are there any other benefits from owning the super concert opposed to the tenor?:
that's really the only difference, the size of the body. The size of the body effects the sound a lot though. If you want the most bright vibrant island sound but still want a tenor sized scale go with the super concert

Last edited:

tenor has ebony fretboard, SC has koa fretboard
Neither of my super-concerts have koa fretboards.

The KCM-02 have the ebony fretboards while the KC-02 are all koa.

If you'd like a sound sample of a superconcert, I'd suggest taking a look at fourteentwelve's YT channel. She uses one in many of her videos.

http://www.youtube.com/user/fourteentwelve

oops yea, I had just rummaged over KoAloha's website and they made a typo on the super concert page, it is indeed ebony looking at the photos, so it just comes down to the body

One of the managers at KoAloha (Brian) told me for the price go with the tenor. There is not a large price difference but if you already have atenor then you will more than likely want a super concert.

Yeah, the body size is probably the only significant difference. Both will sound awesome.

Given the choice, I'd go with the super-concert because I like smaller-bodied instruments (less guitar-like). But if MGM still has any of those 16-fret-to-body tenors kicking around at an unusually low price, that'd be a better deal!

Does anyone know the difference between a super concert and a tenor from the KoAloha line of ukuleles?

As of right now, I own a tenor and I've been wondering what the benefits from owning a super concert would be. From what I understand, both have twenty frets and can be made of solid Koa. Apart from one body being larger than the other, are there any other benefits from owning the super concert opposed to the tenor?

IF so, perhaps that will be my next uke that I buy.

Great question. And very informative answers. Thanks. :cool:

In general terms, the smaller the body size, the more resticted and the higher the tonal range. Low-end harmonics will be fewer, meaning a little lower tonal complexity, and the sound people hear will tend towards the upper end of the scale.

On a superconcert, this won't be as pronounced a difference as with, say, the Ohana and Kala long-necked sopranos (with tenor-scale necks). But it will be more noticeable if you play low-G rather than high-G.

Thanks to all of you who contributed to the answer. Your input will be very important for my future ukulele purchases.

Thanks Again.

Thought I'd throw in my two cents. I have a KoAloha super concert (BUT ONLY ONE....somehow, I think my parents, who already think that all ukes look the same, would have a cow if I had two identical ukes)

I love the sound, which is suprisingly resonant and rich coming from the smaller concert body, which is also a shallower body since that's how KoAloha rolls. But my biggest problem with it is that the neck and tuners on it are very heavy (when compared to other makers's necks.) And for that reason, with the small body, the uke just does not feel as balanced in hand as the KoAloha Tenor, which I have played.

Still digging mine though.

Top Bottom