Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ukulele Vs. Banjo Ukulele

Dave at Waverly Street makes a great inexpensive banjo uke.
    http://www.wsukes.com/83/u83.html

Here's a video of one:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3_-KOgZetQ

Mike at Mainland Ukes is still working on getting their version of the banjo uke up and running. I'm anxious to see how it will sound and look.

Quote Originally Posted by Uke-lahoma View Post
    Mike at Mainland Ukes is still working on getting their version of the banjo uke up and running. I'm anxious to see how it will sound and look.
    Unfortunatly that's taking longer than expected, but I'm not giving up.

Default Banjo Ukes

They are a lot of fun, but I feel like your first instrument should be a real uke, if for no other reason than, to get a decent banjo uke is going to cost a couple or even a few hundred dollars.

They have some decent stuff at http://www.ukuleleworld.com/Banjo-Ukuleles/ I buy almost everything I need here (he has by far the best selection of strings anywhere.) This guy is a little eccentric and some of his stuff is a bit pricey, but he doesn't sell any crap and they play every instrument they sell, checking it for sound, quality, etcetera. You might want to think about the cumbus style uke he sells which will give you a similar sound to the banjo for less money.

Again for a first ukulele you really can't go wrong with something like a KALA tenor, it has a good loud sound, and their basic models can be had for less than $200. Lanikai makes some really nice entry level stuff as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Ukuyoyo View Post
    Just another quick question, what brand should i look at for a good banjo uke?
    I have an old La Pacific that I fixed up but if I were to get another it would deffinatelt be a Waverly Street Banjolele, hand made in the USA and very reasonably priced.
    "I 'ike lakou, o 'oe, ka mea wale no nona ka inoa, o Iehova; O 'oe no ka Mea ki'eki'e loa maluna o ka honua a pau." HALELU 83:18

Quote Originally Posted by Ahnko Honu View Post
    I have an old La Pacific that I fixed up but if I were to get another it would deffinatelt be a Waverly Street Banjolele, hand made in the USA and very reasonably priced.
    and a UU member!

Yep, if you're going for a banjolele, I've gotta plug my main man Dave at Waverly Street Ukulele. For the price range he sells his ukes in, you can't get another handbuilt uke anywhere else.

Thanks for linking my video of my WS Banjolele ^_^
    You can just call me Paul

My Girls: Ohana Sopranino □ Custom Sonny Daze Onyx CB Sopranino □ Soprano Vintage Harmony □ Soprano Vintage Plastic Mauna Loa □ Soprano Ohana Mahogany □ Soprano Plastic Dolphin Makala □ Soprano Red Cedar Mainland □ Cordoba 25CK Koa Concert □ Light Green Koi Concert Flea □ Rosewood Eleuke Tenor □ Mahogany Fluke Tenor □ Washburn Timbercraft Folk F52SWCE □ Yamaha GL-1 Guitalele

YoutubeLast.fm

And lest we forget, Dave's FIRST tenor scale banjolele:
    http://www.wsukes.com/87/u87.html
    Not to rub it in, but that one's MINE...
    Ian
    -------------------------------------------
    Utque sacerdotis fugitivus liba recuso
    pane egeo mellitis potiore placentis.

I'm like that priest's slave who ran away because
    They fed him honey cakes and he longed for bread.

Horace: Epistle X
    Ukulele reviews * Vintage Uke Music * Tequila * Henry Hudson * Harmonica reviews * Blog

Thread Information