The ukulele is not a real insturment

Samster

Reaction score
i have just had a huge argument over whether a ukulele is a real instrument or not with my room mate.

apparently its not a real one. pfft

it all started with "why dont you learn a real instrument?"

i have never been so angry

i dont see how people can class it as not being a real instrument?

Play him some Jake Shimabukuro, and some Taimane Gardener. Then he'll change his tune. It always works for me

i live with him, im always strumming and picking around him.

i know im not the best ukulele player in the world

but i didnt think i was that bad...

aha

Doesn't that depend on what your definition of a "real instrument" is?

What makes a real instrument and why isn't the Ukulele one?

Ask him if the violin is a real instrument.

he said its about as real as a whistle

its too simple sounds like a toy and the only people who play them arent musicians like george formby and tiny tim

so i played him some jake Shimabukuro and he shushed up

then said

wellone out of a million....

some people!

Ignore room mate

Your room mate is just goofy stupid. It's not the instrument, it's the player. Hey I have seen people do amazing percussion on 5 gallon water bottles and paint buckets. Or create beautiful music with water glasses. I have also seen people make a piano or a guitar completely unlistenable.

Some people keep their heads inside a very narrow box. Pity them. They will never know the excitement of stretching their minds to new possibilities. Don't let those people drag you down to their boring level.

–Lori

jealous?

Does your room mate play anything? Maybe he is just jealous that you are learning to play something, and he isn't.
–Lori

he doesnt play anything

ive been playing for a year or too

it just makes it all seem worthless when he/people says things like that :(

I think unless he is a Music Major and has years of musical performing, teaching and or composing, he really has no validity to his argument.

That is his opinion, you don't need to think anything of it though.

not only is the ukulele a real instrument, but it is much easier to hide one behind your back and smack him upside the head when he's not looking than, for example, a guitar. :eek:

if i had a spare one id take joy in that! lol

just brush them shoulders of bro. what makes the ukulele so amazing is that it still is not widely accepted, yet amazes anyone who hears what it can do. That is one of the things that actually drew me to learn. It is so versatile and it still has that amazement factor. :D

he doesnt play anything

don't play to impress others. self satisfaction is worth far more! chin up and uke on!

he doesnt play anything

That's it then! He is jealous of your playing. Or, he just doesn't like the kind of songs you're playing. Write him off as an idiot, and play for yourself. You're just around the wrong people right now... but there are plenty of people who love to hear uke music.
–Lori

Top Bottom