The ukulele is not a real insturment

i dont think he ment because they're awful, just because their really loud

please stop talking about an instrument you know as less about as your room mate knows about the Uke. there are at least as much quiet bagpipe types as there are loud ones.

Okay, bagpipes can be amazing, and you just insulted a fellow ukulele playing forum member the same way the room mate insulted the thread starter.

Please take a moment for some personal reflection. :shaka:

thank you man! (you know, I'm used to this kind of stuff, but it's nice to have someone on my side nevertheless!)

the ukulele isn't a real instrument

cookie_monster.jpg

*note: I'm not insulted by comments about bagpipes. It's just a pity to play the instrument everyone refers to as the "as *put in negative word here* as could be" even on such an open board like this... I know this kind of treatment since I started eleven years ago...

btw, what's the difference between 2 bagpipes? a quarter tone...

^^

*note: I'm not insulted by comments about bagpipes. It's just a pity to play the instrument everyone refers to as the "as *put in negative word here* as could be" even on such an open board like this... I know this kind of treatment since I started eleven years ago...

btw, what's the difference between 2 bagpipes? a quarter tone...

^^

so you play the bagpipes? that's actually pretty sick.

CHEESE! You guys are SOO intense! Does somebody around here play the bagpipes? Well, bully for you. I happen to love the bagpipes, but I would not want to share my home with someone who was learning to play them.

Just for the record, I was thinking of the Scottish war pipes - scarier than a huge scary thing! Now the Irish uillean pipes are possibly the most hauntingly beautiful instrument ever devised.

Sorry if I trod on some tender toes.

PEACE & LOVE,

Ukantor.

please stop talking about an instrument you know as less about as your room mate knows about the Uke. there are at least as much quiet bagpipe types as there are loud ones.

thank you man! (you know, I'm used to this kind of stuff, but it's nice to have someone on my side nevertheless!)

Aha i didnt mean there awful, but i thought thats what you thought was implied,

i actually quite like them, i dont know practically anything about them, but after ross played them on friends im all for them

sorry if i caused offence :(

I happen to love the bagpipes, but I would not want to share my home with someone who was learning to play them.

I agree. In that sense, they're like the violin or steel guitar. Played well, they're awesome! Played poorly? Ugh.

JJ

Dead right UkeJJ - on the other hand, the ukulele and the harp sound good even in the hands of a beginner.

Ukantor.

You know, I used to have this same kind of attitude towards the ukulele. Not that it was a toy, necessarily, but that it wasn't really worth paying attention towards. It was a kind of ambivalent, "can anything good come from Nazareth" attitude.

But then a blogger I was reading said he was going to learn either the ukulele or the mandolin. In my mind, the mandolin was a much more legitimate instrument, but he chose the ukulele, linking to "Tom Cruise Crazy" covered by sweetafton23 as justification towards what the instrument was capable of. I watched the clip and was pretty impressed, and so I kept looking at other videos. I soon had a pretty good list of why the ukulele was a valid instrument.

1. It's much more portable than a guitar or other many other instruments. I commute a lot, and I have a lot of free time at one of my jobs, so I typically brought a guitar to play. It was pretty annoying toting it around, especially when I was in college and had to walk a quarter mile just to get to my car before driving the hour long commute. The ukulele, being both light and portable, was a much better solution.
  2. The nylon strings are easier on my fingers. I started off playing nylon string guitars, and never really played a lot of steel strings. So, even though my fingers have callouses, they're pretty dainty. When I did play a guitar with steel strings, it tore my fingers up like nobody's business. Also, it let me play fingerstyle, which I prefer to do any way.
  3. I really liked the size of the instrument from a playability perspective. The neck is much easier to get around. Also, I used to have problems with guitars making my right elbow ache from being so high. Before I got my ukulele, I was seriously considering purchasing a parlor style guitar because they have a smaller, more manageable body. The ukulele, being smaller even than a parlor, feels like a dream come true.
  4. I really like the tone. It had the same mellowness as a nylon string guitar, but it has a more delicate timbre that's also sweet. I was playing some instrumental stuff once, and my mom commented that it sounded like a music box. It's sound is really pretty in a moving yet quiet way.

So, I bought the ukulele as a kind of experiment. And over the nine months or so that I've had it, it's really become my go-to instrument.

After I got it, I took it into work that very night. A coworker was there, a guy who also plays classical guitar. We began talking about it, and he picked up the ukulele and strummed it a bit. When he gave it back to me, he complemented me on how it sounded. He even said he might get one. Also, I've got a friend who's a professional guitarist (I tech for his band). He's played it on a couple occasions, and he's told me that listening to me jam on my ukulele has totally changed his perspective about the instrument. The bottom line is, musicians tend to respect the ukulele. And not on a Ritz/Ohta/Shimabakuro/Hill level, but as an everyman instrument. They might not be the first to embrace it, but when they do, they like it a lot.

I hope those points help with your discussion with your friend.

Last edited:
Aha i didnt mean there awful, but i thought thats what you thought was implied,

i actually quite like them, i dont know practically anything about them, but after ross played them on friends im all for them

sorry if i caused offence :(

no offence taken!

but hey, as we're talkin about 'em, you can check out my YT channel and leave a comment or two on the bagpipe videos...

I'll chime in. I read half the replies before realizing it would take all day to read them all.

Being a guitar player of 20+ years I always had it in my mind that the ukulele was not a viable instrument. Then I played one last September (while looking for a Venezuelan Cuatro). Then I discovered John King and James Hill (as earlier mentioned). Then I started working up some pieces from John King and Neal Paisley, etc.

Wow. The ukulele is a real instrument. If your roomie doesn't play an instrument at all he will most likely never understand. Keep playing no matter what he or anyone says.

I dont think your room mate is a REAL person!

your chance to educate Cairns locals

Hi guys, may I take the opportunity to ask you all, seeing you are interested in this subject matter, to have a read of my post regarding the Cairns Ukulele Festival? The paper is making fun of us, and we need your support to prove them wrong!

Take a dump in their bed. Revenge doesn't always have to be sweet, it can be smelly...

Top Bottom