The ukulele is not a real insturment

not only is the ukulele a real instrument, but it is much easier to hide one behind your back and smack him upside the head when he's not looking than, for example, a guitar. :eek:

Then it would be a blunt instrument.

There's no use in trying to convince some people, Samster. Keep on doing what you do and don't worry about what anyone else thinks. He's just jealous because he doesn't play an instrument.

i think thats why i fell in love with it,

its something that not many people commonly play

makes me stand out from the guitar players ;)

That's it then! He is jealous of your playing. Or, he just doesn't like the kind of songs you're playing. Write him off as an idiot, and play for yourself. You're just around the wrong people right now... but there are plenty of people who love to hear uke music.
–Lori

thank you :)

Zakulele has it right. Show him John King. That ought to shut him up. If it doesn't just write him off as an idiot.

:uhoh:

he doesnt play anything

ive been playing for a year or too

it just makes it all seem worthless when he/people says things like that :(

Au contraire mon frere!

NEVER let other people dictate your feelings or set the tone towards something you love!

You just happen to belong to a community that proves that the ukulele is a real instrument.

Hell, the NY Uke Festival just ended and there was a TON of REAL musicians there playing REAL instruments...ukuleles!

Don't let someone else's narrow mindedness bring you down or change the way you feel or outlook you have where the uke is concerned.

I think all of us being here is a way for us to bond with other uke players and strengthen our ties and love for the instrument.

I have delved so far deep into the uke that I spend more time here than on my own sites these days lol. That's because I need to feed my love...or addiction for the uke.

Not everyone grasps the ukulele as being a "serious" instrument. But remember...heavy metal never used to be a recognized genre of music by the Grammys...and Jethro Tull won the first heavy metal award over Metallica.

The point being...while the world may be a bit slow to comprehend things that they know nothing about...it doesn't mean you have to be. ;)

Keep on ukin!!!!!!

He's got nothing to stand on with that argument. He calls Jake one in a million, but there are plenty of others around on youtube that play brilliantly. One of them puts lessons and tips up on this site all the time. If it bugs you that much, collect a bunch of links of lots of different uke wizards and make him watch. Don't forget these guys http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iD5BKn0yMbQ , they also use minimalist percussion which shows someone getting an increadibly complex array of sounds out of an instrument way less complicated then the uke.

Or just ignore him. You know the truth in any case.

Damn Tiny Tim, ruining it for the rest of us...

jk

if thats who he thinks of first when he thinks of the ukulele.. its gonna be hard to persuade him otherwise, especially since he seems a little hard headed..

just get better at the uke yourself, when you can do a song really well that he really really likes.. he'll change.

If not, get a really cheap uke and beat the sense into him. Show him how it can be a weapon too :D

he said its about as real as a whistle

its too simple sounds like a toy and the only people who play them arent musicians like george formby and tiny tim

A few points to add:

1. Actually a whistle is a so-called "real" instrument. Ask any percussion player.
  2. Anyone who thinks George Formby and Tiny Tim aren't musicians--and darn good ones, too--doesn't know squat about music.
  3. You can't use reasoning to change someone's mind when that person didn't use reasoning to make up their mind in the first place.

JJ

Damn Tiny Tim, ruining it for the rest of us...

jk

if thats who he thinks of first when he thinks of the ukulele.. its gonna be hard to persuade him otherwise, especially since he seems a little hard headed..

just get better at the uke yourself, when you can do a song really well that he really really likes.. he'll change.

If not, get a really cheap uke and beat the sense into him. Show him how it can be a weapon too :D

Abstatutely...those strings can be used as...um...neckties as well. :p

It seems to me that just about anything is a "real instrument."

When I visited New York City, I was very impressed with a street musician there who played on plastic buckets. I could buy the most expensive drum kit in the world, and I wouldn't sound as good as this guy did.

Paddy Moloney of The Chieftains says that he prefers to play the inexpensive, mass-produced pennywhistles. My wife & I went to see them play when they were in town, and I could hardly believe the music he could make with a $6 plastic-capped pennywhistle.

I've known excellent musicians that play the spoons. Haven't met a bones player yet... but you get where I'm going with this.

Music comes from within US, the musicians.

The number of replies to this thread is amazing, not to mention the speed at which they are coming. It reminds me of the time I was playing ukulele while "enjoying" Christmas at my inlaws. I actually had just finished a song and still had the uke in my hands when my wife's grandmother said, "Do you play an instrument?" I wasn't sure if I was being insulted or if it was just the dimentia. Just have to laugh it off.

im actually really shocked about how many replies this thread has,

i nevere thought it would get as much.

thank you for everyone that has contributed

Time to get a new roommate.

i have just had a huge argument over whether a ukulele is a real instrument or not with my room mate.

apparently its not a real one. pfft

it all started with "why dont you learn a real instrument?"

i have never been so angry

i dont see how people can class it as not being a real instrument?

Married folks argue all the time and they love each other. Roommates don't have that advantage. Maybe it's just a case of "Ukulele Envy".

Piffle. A "real" instrument? As opposed to... surreal? Unreal? Nonexistent?

Real, as defined in various places online:
  • being or occurring in fact or actuality; having verified existence; not illusory; "real objects"; "real people; not ghosts"; "a film based on real ...
    Well, ukuleles have a verified existence. So they are real.
  • real(a): no less than what is stated; worthy of the name; "the real reason"; "real war"; "a real friend"; "a real woman"; "meat and potatoes--I call that a real meal"; "it's time he had a real job"; "it's no penny-ante job--he's making real money"
    Is a ukulele worthy of the name, or less than what is stated? No, it is thus real.
  • not to be taken lightly; "statistics demonstrate that poverty and unemployment are very real problems"; "to the man sleeping regularly in doorways homelessness is real"
    No one takes ukuleles lightly in my presence!
  • capable of being treated as fact; "tangible evidence"; "his brief time as Prime Minister brought few real benefits to the poor"
    Well, ukuleles are factual, for sure!
  • actual: being or reflecting the essential or genuine character of something; "her actual motive"; "a literal solitude like a desert"- G.K.Chesterton; "a genuine dilemma"
    Does a ukulele have genuine character? Mais oui!
  • of, relating to, or representing an amount that is corrected for inflation; "real prices"; "real income"; "real wages"
  • real number: any rational or irrational number
    I have eight ukuleles. That's a very real number I have to grapple with every time Susan demands I move them and clean up under the sideboard!
  • substantial: having substance or capable of being treated as fact; not imaginary; "the substantial world"; "a mere dream, neither substantial nor practical"; "most ponderous and substantial things"- Shakespeare
    I play tenors, so I can attest that ukuleles are substantial. I might have to ponder this one if I played soprano, but, no, I play a substantial instrument.
QED. Ukuleles are indeed "real" instruments....

Sounds like roomy is in denial of his own lack of musical talent.
Ignore the ignorant. :rolleyes:

Top Bottom