Boob question, a very silly problem.

plasticsushi

Reaction score
So I finally got my uke in the mail, and have been excitedly feeling my way around playing it (strumming is still a situation, but improving.)

I tried last night holding Lucy (didn't take long to name her) higher on my chest, and she was much easier to play. However, I was wandering around the house just now, and realized that my boob is in the way if I hold her as high as I need to for the aformentioned easy playing. Am I missing something? I know people say not to hold the uke close to the body, is that my problem? Halp!

Also, ukulele is my summer adventure, having failed at all other instruments when I was younger. I'm ready to work hard and overcome the lazy and pessimistic side of music for me. I hope.

Thanks!
Ariana

**Must show restraint!!!!**:p

Dude, you can make all the bad jokes you want, if you can help a lady out.

Well the only thing I can say about holding the uke into your chest is...most say that you should tilt it towards the "audience" for better tone and volume.

As far as boobage and playing...I suppose that takes some getting used to like a female secretary who types with long nails.

...and for the record...I abstained from the bad jokes. :p

Playing a soprano, I assume? I have a similar problem when I play soprano. So, I mostly play concert or tenor now, and I install a strap button on all my ukes. Using a guitar strap allows me to work around what God gave me without losing my grip on the ukulele.

I've seen 'ukulele's held in many different ways and they all work. Just hold her the way that works for you.

Thanks, Spooner. I just tried that and it seemed to solve both my strumming AND breast issue.

And boobs are not equal to long nails. Jes' saying.

Tuscadero, I'm glad that I'm not making up a problem! I was planning to put on a strap tomorrow... do you use an actual strap button, or do you install a foreign object into your ukes? I'm wondering if I can avoid a trip to the guitar store.

Ukuleleblues, I didn't even see that thread. Sorry to create a pointless thread!

Last edited:
I take them to the guitar store and they install the button for about $5. It's worth it to me to make sure I don't damage the instrument drilling off center of something.

That said, I only install a button on the bottom, I tie the other end to the headstock using a shoelace or even better, a leather strap and button that Martin makes for this purpose.

I take them to the guitar store and they install the button for about $5.

Really? That seems painful. I don't thi...

Oh, wait... You mean you take your ukuleles to the guitar store!

Nevermind.

JJ

pics?

Do uke's even have a button on the bottom for a strap? I know mine doesn't.

I would go with a shower type suction cup. Those hold pretty well and wouldn't require any damage to the uke body. I'm sure this has been thought of before though.

Sounded like agood idea to me...

I'm going to try to resist the urge to post something silly here and instead try to be of some help! (As a dude, I probably don't have the right to post here, but c'mon, with that kind of subject line, you were asking for it! ;) )

I love this kind of strap: http://www.fleamarketmusic.com/store/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=213

No modification to the uke itself. Check out the "collar in use" picture.

I have no valuable information to add here but I wanted to say thanks for the suggestions.

A friend of mine was recently trying out my uke and had the same problem. I'll add a strap on her's.

Thanks Tuscadero!:shaka:

Last edited:
Ukuleleblues, I didn't even see that thread. Sorry to create a pointless thread!

I'm not sure which thread you found, but I know of one that was created not too long ago. I'm not even sure the word "boobs" was used, so odds are most people wouldn't know what to search for.

You have to search for "awkward" and "twins." Here, let me find it for you:

Here you go.

I'm not sure which thread you found, but I know of one that was created not too long ago. I'm not even sure the word "boobs" was used, so odds are most people wouldn't know what to search for.

You have to search for "awkward" and "twins." Here, let me find it for you:

Here you go.

Thanks for the redirect Seeso. I thought that thread was about these guys.

awkward-photos.jpg

Sopranos and concerts fit best on top of the breast and tenors and baritones fit best below the breast for me. (It' not rocket science guys, they're just boobs.)

Top Bottom