Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Has anyone designed a uke to accommodate a woman's body?

Default Has anyone designed a uke to accommodate a woman's body?

[Serious question.]

I think you know what I mean. Protrusions in the front of our personal selves make holding a uke the way men do impossible. Either the uke sits on top of our girls [impractical, awkward and silly] or we have to sit and wedge it between body parts to get it to sit still.

So I'm wondering...with all the luthier talent in this forum, has anyone tried to make a uke that would work with [or around] what women have, not fight against it?

Proud member of GIGAPUS
    [girls in glasses and playing ukulele society]

what about a thin body uke?

e.g. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgoKmdsxk-M

interesting idea! not exactly what i imagined, but it could be one solution, definitely. thanks for the link!
    Proud member of GIGAPUS
    [girls in glasses and playing ukulele society]

I was at a show this weekend where a couple of women were discussing this very issue... I didn't hear much of it.

I think it is down to where you hold your uke. There is no set way - the ukulele police won't arrest you for slinging it low. Sadly, because of your anatomy whatever you do will be a compromise.

Do ladies play the Uke then?

How can they manage the time inbetween washing, irioning, cleaning, cooking, talking on the phone, and eating chocolates?.

Don't kill me I was only joking, honest, honest. I just couldn't resist saying it.

Quote Originally Posted by Witters View Post

How can they manage the time inbetween washing, irioning, cleaning, cooking, talking on the phone, and eating chocolates?.

Don't kill me I was only joking, honest, honest. I just couldn't resist saying it.
    Sorry but that ain't funny...

They do make concave backed resonators for banjos to fit mens "Pot bellies"

So pehaps. a cup shaped back may do the trick ..It's a pity "Howard Hughs"Kicked the bucket..He would have designed one.

Quote Originally Posted by Amy View Post
    [Serious question.]

I think you know what I mean. Protrusions in the front of our personal selves make holding a uke the way men do impossible. Either the uke sits on top of our girls [impractical, awkward and silly] or we have to sit and wedge it between body parts to get it to sit still.

So I'm wondering...with all the luthier talent in this forum, has anyone tried to make a uke that would work with [or around] what women have, not fight against it?

I feel your pain. (Serious Response)

I have a huge pot belly and substantial man-boobs. It's far easier to play uke than a dreadnaught-sized acoustic guitar. Perhaps one of Lisa's uke thongs is the answer to both of our anatomical hindrances.

Quote Originally Posted by Witters View Post

LISAXY -- help me!!!!!!!

Although I do talk on the phone, I hate making calls. I'll talk but the other person has to call me.

Quote Originally Posted by casetone2514 View Post
    Perhaps one of Lisa's uke thongs is the answer to both of our anatomical hindrances.
    They really do work! That is THE ONLY way I can stand and play, otherwise it's slipping all over the place!

Also, I realized that the position I play it in while sitting has changed over the past months too - I used to prop it on top of the girls (you can see almost the entire uke in my first YT videos), but now I rest it on my lap and it seems to work better.

Thread Information