Ukulele shops in Hawaii (Big Island)?

alright! i'll see what i can do before. also, i've got a few hundred coming my way for back to school clothing, but since i have all the clothes i need for now i guess it'll hopefully turn into uke money. and there's always the "while we're on vacation you can get one thing" thing that my parents do and maybe they could help me out with that.

New to the UU forums but a longtime lurker/reader/fan. :) Bumping this thread because I'm in the same situation, heading to the Big Island and wanting to get some updated info for 2018 on what I should go check out! I'm an enthusiast who has been playing for about 6 years, and I co-lead a Meetup here in the Bay Area in California. Have never been to Hawaii before and I'd be seriously disappointed if I didn't do something ukulele-related while there.

We'll be there for a whole week--I'm interested in hearing about stores, factory tours, chances to visit luthiers, jams and other events, the whole shebang. Most of the stores I've found so far online are on Oahu or Maui, to my disappointment.

I'd love any recommendations you have for ukulele stores / activities / events on the Big Island if you are willing to help out a fellow enthusiast!

Last edited:
New to the UU forums but a longtime lurker/reader/fan. :) Bumping this thread because I'm in the same situation, heading to the Big Island and wanting to get some updated info for 2018 on what I should go check out! I'm an enthusiast who has been playing for about 6 years, and I co-lead a Meetup here in the Bay Area in California. Have never been to Hawaii before and I'd be seriously disappointed if I didn't do something ukulele-related while there.

We'll be there for a whole week--I'm interested in hearing about stores, factory tours, chances to visit luthiers, jams and other events, the whole shebang. Most of the stores I've found so far online are on Oahu or Maui, to my disappointment.

I'd love any recommendations you have for ukulele stores / activities / events on the Big Island if you are willing to help out a fellow enthusiast!

Richard's shop, Hawi Gallery, up north is very small, but fun. He has some nice handmade stuff from local builders and the new location is fabulously well done. Plus Richard is like the nicest guy you could meet.

Come say hi if you end up somewhere I'm playing! http://bradbordessa.com/shows-2/

Oh no only a $200 budget and going to Hawaii the land of Ukes! LOL...

Don't blow it on the pakalolo... ;)

Man save those pennies so you can get that Killer Hawaiian Uke Brah! :shaka:

Hello. Welcome to the forum.
Enjoy the Big Island when you are there.
Could you post a link to your meet up here in Socal? Thanks.

just caught this on GOOGLE.....
[h=2]Search Results[/h][h=3]Hilo Guitars and Ukuleles Is Now Closed[/h]www.hiloguitars.com/

I CLOSED MY STORE HILO GUITARS AND UKULELES ON APRIL 5th 2017 DUE TO THE FACT THAT I GOT DIAGNOSED WITH CHRONIC LYMPHOID LEUKEMIA, CANCER OF THE BLOOD. There is a new shop opening in my old space calling themselves Hilo Ukulele and Guitar. In my opinion this is plagiarism , taking ...

slightly off topic but oh my goodness how many ukulele shops are there in Hawaii!!!!!!

I only know two in the whole of UK!!!! :drool:

We will also be visiting Big Island again in March but staying on Hilo side. I think there are two music stores in Hilo itself, but some suggestions about upcoming events would certainly be appreciated.

just caught this on GOOGLE.....
[h=2]Search Results[/h][h=3]Hilo Guitars and Ukuleles Is Now Closed[/h]www.hiloguitars.com/

I CLOSED MY STORE HILO GUITARS AND UKULELES ON APRIL 5th 2017 DUE TO THE FACT THAT I GOT DIAGNOSED WITH CHRONIC LYMPHOID LEUKEMIA, CANCER OF THE BLOOD. There is a new shop opening in my old space calling themselves Hilo Ukulele and Guitar. In my opinion this is plagiarism , taking ...

Just in case people are scanning: there is still a shop there. It's a new owner and name, but it seems like they are really making an effort to do some cool stuff like mini concerts and workshops. Haven't been in yet, but I'm sure it's worth a stop.

Just in case people are scanning: there is still a shop there. It's a new owner and name, but it seems like they are really making an effort to do some cool stuff like mini concerts and workshops. Haven't been in yet, but I'm sure it's worth a stop.

And free keiki lessons on Saturday. It's still the best uke shop on Big island IMO.

If helpful to others, I just got back from a week spent on the Big Island this month and wrote up a review of ukulele attractions on the island--this is the list of uke stores that I wish *I'd* had when I was planning!

https://medium.com/@amelialin/a-guide-to-hawaiis-big-island-for-the-ukulele-enthusiast-249bd620f72

We just came back two days ago and I wish I had seen this sooner, so we could have visited some of the stores as well. I went to nine stores on Kauai and Big Island and will start a separate thread when I have time to report m impression of the stores and ukes I tried out. But to add to the list in the thread, there are three more Hilo stores that I went to:

1) Hawaiian Ukulele & Guitar has three stores on the BI and their Hilo location is the newest. It is a large store and still in the process of being set up. They had a nice collection of low to high end ukes and also a luthier section. I think they will host some events in the future, the space is certainly large enough. https://hawaiian-ukulele.com/
2) Big Island Guitars has only a few ukes, but I almost bought a very cool Hanalei tenor with beauftiful appointments. http://www.bigislandguitars.com/
3) A few doors up is LILINOE LIFESTYLE, which has an eclectic collection of several vintage ukes (pre 1920) as well as ukes from BI Guild builders. The owner (Mike) also builds in the store and is a pleasure to chat with, and it's worth a trip for sure. https://lilinoelifestyle.com/

Last edited:
Top Bottom