Song Help Request I'll See you in my dreams - Joe Brown

scooch

Reaction score
Hello, I am trying to find the chords for this wonderful song, as sung by Joe Brown. The version is on UTube when he was on Jools Hollands show:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wp_SQLdFwgU.
I've searched about for the chords but can't find em. A found a *version* at UkuleleBoogaloo but they just didn't fit with what I hear and see watching him (and other covers on Utube). :confused:

If anyone has these, I'd love to be able to get hold of em.
thanks.

I've seen a version of the Arch Larizza transcription that's pretty difficult to play and sing at the same time, so I merged it with another version I found in an old Cliff Edwards book and simplified it.

I don't seem to have an electronic copy though, so hang tight and I'll type it up

Here we are, the work in progress that I've got (apologies about the formatting). This takes into account the boogloo version, the Dominator tab, and the Cliff Edwards version, all mangled together and simplified a bit...

Code:
I'll see you in my dreams * Gus Kahn / Islam Jones
(as performed at the Concert For George by Joe Brown)

Intro:
[F][Dm][FM7][Dm] x4

[F]Though the [Dm]days are [FM7]long[Dm]
[D7]Twilight sings a song[D]
[G7]Of the happ[Bbm6]iness that [C]used to [F]be[Dm][FM7][Dm]

[Am]Soon my [E7]eyes will close
Soon I'll [Am]find repose
[C]And in dreams, you're [Dm]always [G7]near to [C]me [C7]

I'll [Bb]see you in my [Bbm6]dreams
[F]Hold you [E7]in my [F]dreams
[D7]Someone took you out of my arms
[G7]Still, I feel the [C7]thrill of your charms

[Bb]Lips that once were [Bbm6]mine
[F]Tender [E7]eyes that [F]shine

[F9]They [D7]will [F9]light [D7]my [A7]way to[Dm]night
I'll [Bb]see you [Bbm6]in [C7]my [F]dreams

Solo*

[Bb]Lips that once were [Bbm6]mine
[F]Tender [E7]eyes that [F]shine

[F9]They [D7]will [F9]light [D7]my [A7]way to[Dm]night
I'll [Bb]see you [Bbm6]in [C7]my [F]dreams

[F9]They [D7]will [F9]light [D7]my [A7]lonely way to[Dm]night
I'll [Bb]see you [Bbm6]in [C7]my [F]dreams [Dm][FM7][Dm]

Outro:
[F][Dm][FM7][Dm]
Then [F] and slowly pluck downwards.

Notes:
Where I prescribe the F9, it's 'supposed' to be a Cm6, but the F9 sounds effectively the same and swapping between that and D7 is braindead easy. Bar the second fret with your index finger, do the rest with your middle finger :)

The D7 in the first verse is another type of D7, not the standard bar chord version. Second fret on the G and E strings.

One last thing: The 'FM7' I use is not the same as listed at the boogaloo version, in fact I don't even think it's the proper chord name. Check out the dominator tab, he's using the same chord under the name 'Fmaj7'

Here's what I'm doing though:
Hold a Dm, then plant your pinky finger on the C string, fourth fret. So basically for the entire riff - from an F, put your ring finger on the C string second fret to make a Dm, then your pinky on the fourth fret, then remove your pinky to get back to Dm. If someone can give me a more accurate name than 'FM7' I'd appreciate it.

*For the solo, you're on your own. In other words, I haven't figured anything out myself. If you get lost, at least slap the intro riff onto the back of the proceeding verse and play it a couple of times as a bridge.

In other versions of this song though, the following verse turns up here, feel free to use the progressions above and figure it out:

In the dreary gray
Of another day
You are far away and I am blue
Still I hope and pray
Through each weary day
For it brings the night and dreams of you

Hope that helps :)

Last edited:
Thanks SOOOOO much. I will be trying this out like right NOW!!!

cheers very much. :rock:

I'll see you in my dreams

I found this among the Dr. Uke tabs. The Cliff Edwards version is interesting, particularly given the strum technique he uses. He does more chord changes than the tab does, but perhaps that's where more experienced players can help.

Dom's version sounds right to me in comparison to Joe Brown.

Anyone have video/audio of whetu's version yet?

Anyone have video/audio of whetu's version yet?

ha! you were 7 minutes short of exactly 12 hours after my post :)

I can do a recording, though I'm having some trouble with the strings on my Oscar, and my Makala dolphin is sounding quite dull and clunky. Otherwise, if you don't mind waiting a week I'll be picking up some Kala Red's to try out... actually I may be able to borrow a Kala soprano off a friend... hmmmm

Either way, anyone else is free to give recording it a shot. I'd be interested to see if anything is lost in translation :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom