Violin and Ukulele

nacho

Reaction score
Hey UU!

I just finished editing and uploading a violin and ukulele cover of Matt Redman's Heart of Worship. It is a well-known and a very powerful Christian worship song. I hope you check it out - Christian or not :p.

LINK

:shaka:

- nacho

I'm really amazed at how well the uke and violin work together. I don't know the song or its religious meaning, but it sounds great! :)

Thank you so much!! I'm so glad the two work together...awesome. Thanks!!

:) Sounds great! I was just today wondering what songs i could play with my sister, she plays violin, do you have some ideas? i am pretty much clueless, dont know to many violin songs apart from classic stuff.
Would be great if someone has some pointers, i am a beginner level ukulele player, so dont give me to hard stuff :eek:

:) Sounds great! I was just today wondering what songs i could play with my sister, she plays violin, do you have some ideas? i am pretty much clueless, dont know to many violin songs apart from classic stuff.
Would be great if someone has some pointers, i am a beginner level ukulele player, so dont give me to hard stuff :eek:

Jay Unger's Ashokan Farewell?

EDIT: I found chords for this:
Ashokan Farewell
by Jay Ungar 3/4 time

D--|D/F# bass--|G--|Em--|D--|Bm--|Gmaj7--|A7--|D--|D7/F#--|G--|Em--|D--|Bm--|A--|D--|D--|D7/F#--|G--|D--|D--|Bm--|A--|A7--|D--|C--|G--|D--|D--|D--|A7--|D--:||

Last edited:
fantastic :)

I've got a few dates to play with a violin and a viola, now I'm even more excited!

Awesome! I think it would sound pretty, with both those instruments and your ukulele. I'm not familiar with Ahsokan Farewell, but it is such a good piece for the violin. Really folky song.

Me personally, I like playing whatever pop song I'm into, and I figure out the melody of the song, practice it separately on the violin, and play it to my pre-recorded ukulele.

I enjoyed playing Chan Chan by Buena Vista Social Club, a really famous band from Cuba. It's a latin song, so it's got a nice rhythm. Both the chords and the violin parts are very easy to figure out.

:shaka:

Jay Unger's Ashokan Farewell?

EDIT: I found chords for this:
Ashokan Farewell
by Jay Ungar 3/4 time

D--|D/F# bass--|G--|Em--|D--|Bm--|Gmaj7--|A7--|D--|D7/F#--|G--|Em--|D--|Bm--|A--|D--|D--|D7/F#--|G--|D--|D--|Bm--|A--|A7--|D--|C--|G--|D--|D--|D--|A7--|D--:||

Yeah, that's a good one. My GF plays the violin, and we do this one together now and again (although I use slightly different chords... I took a guess at them, based just on hearing her play the melody line, and now I'm used to doing it that way!)

But really pretty much any song is good fodder for a violin/ukulele duo as long as you've got the chords and melody. We've done stuff from the Real Book (bossa novas and "gypsy" jazz seem to work well), and just last weekend we were going through a Jumpin' Jim book.

JJ

Yeah, that's a good one. My GF plays the violin, and we do this one together now and again (although I use slightly different chords... I took a guess at them, based just on hearing her play the melody line, and now I'm used to doing it that way!)

But really pretty much any song is good fodder for a violin/ukulele duo as long as you've got the chords and melody. We've done stuff from the Real Book (bossa novas and "gypsy" jazz seem to work well), and just last weekend we were going through a Jumpin' Jim book.

JJ

Will you share your chords? I'm not in love with the other ones. I'm trying to find a good set of chords so I can play with MY girlfriend!...

Very well done, sounded really nice.

And +1 for Jay Ungar, and any waltz for that matter. Violin/ukulele is a great combination for pretty tunes. How about Blackest Crow, Neil Gow's Lament for the Death of His Second Wife, Tennessee Waltz, Lover's Waltz, Swannanoa Waltz, Peekaboo Waltz, Coleman's March (not a waltz, but a lovely tune), Cohen's Hallelujah. Not shortage of ideas here. =)

I was at an old time music camp a few years ago and did an impromptu collaboration with a violinist on a Spanish song. It turned out to be a lot of fun.

Top Bottom