Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any knows any good online lessons for learning guitar?

Default Any knows any good online lessons for learning guitar?

After sitting around and wishing I knew how to play the guitar, I've finally decided to just go ahead and learn. I’m not new to music by any means, I've been playing violin and piano since I was 5 years old (I'm now 24) and have been in some light touch with the guitar.
    My biggest problem now is where to start. I also understand that there are two different types of acoustic guitars: steel-string and classical. I'd actually like to learn a bit of both...to be able to play some classical guitar (John Williams blows me away) along with some more light-hearted Jack Johnson-type stuff. I plan on taking some online lessons to help get me started and want to have a source that can match all the needs I want like learning all the chords,. I just don’t it to be over soon, but practice with daily lessons.
    Suggest me something that I can look upon …… Sorry for the long post and thanks for your help!

Check out http://justinguitar.com/. He's got a lot of info plus videos for those who want to learn acoustic and electric guitars.

www.expertvillage.com has a gazillion free guitar lessons from pentatonic scales to alternate tunings.

http://www.expertvillage.com/information_779_guitar.htm

Keep an eye on learn-guitar-free - it's currently under construction, being designed by a music student on Newcastle-on-Tyne's folk music degree course. Anyone heard of The Sage in Newcastle? Kisses to everyone.

Default Re: Any knows any good online lessons for learning guitar?

It’s always good to have some prior knowledge other then just going on the net and imagine you being spoon-fed. I have just been over with my teaching lessons from a teacher and due to my busy schedule I had missed some classes which I could not get back. Then I decided to learn guitar online. That is Hotstrings.HotStrings—the source for the easy way to learn guitar. Download the free viewer and courses directly to your PC. Learn the chords, licks and shredding techniques of seasoned professionals. Master easy daily exercises with real songs and a real band.

I'd start out with DVD's in the style you're interested in. I understand the appeal of Classical guitar, but that is a highly specialized area and to truly learn requires personal instruction. You can always score a nylon stringed Classical guitar and play it as a crossover instrument. The fretboard is wider (2") and non-radiused (flat).

This is a good source for dvd instruction in most guitar styles:
    www.homespuntapes.com

Online instruction can be expensive. The DVD's offer a lot of info and you can pick your level - beginner, intermediate, etc.

"HotStrings—the source for the easy way to learn guitar." Puhleeeze... There ain't no easy way to learn guitar. It's an enjoyable lifetime pursuit, but it is challenging. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Good luck man. I'm new to uke but been playing guitar a long time and I'm still not where I want to be.

whoops... shoulda' mentioned Justin Sandercoe's site.

http://justinguitar.com/

Can't do much better than Justin for free. Nice guy, great site and presentation. He's a real mench.

Default Iperform 3D

That program has helped me alot. You can download it from guitar center's website and they give you some free lessons to try out. The guy plays what your going to learn, and then this 3D guy shows up and you can look at different angles of whats being played and stuff like that. Its pretty sweet

You should also checkout http://www.guitartutee.com/. They have tabs as well as videos of how to play the songs.

Default I'm taking up classical guitar lessons

I'm taking up classical guitar lessons and I am also lifting weights. I would like to ask if lifting weights would hinder my ability to master finger-styling in guitar since I think when you lift weights your nerves which are what connects your brain and body parts will be overworked. And that your finger movements will somehow be affected. I am doing simple dumbbell exercises such as bicep curls, triceps exercise.

Thread Information