Mi-Si Acoustic Trio Pick-up quick review...

Installed the Mi-Si (best price I found was at Mainland - thanks Mike) myself in an Kala acacia tenor and it works great after figuring how to get all the extra ribbon under control. At first I used the self-sticking plastic holder thing that came with it to wrap the ribbon through a couple of times and stuck it on the side.

Strung it up and boy did I have string buzz. So long story short, after trying a different bridge, filing the bottom of the bridge slot several times and after losing count on the number of times I restrung, I finally figured out the culprit must be that plastic holder thing. So off goes the strings again and out came that plastic part. I then coiled as much of the ribbon as I could into about an inch and a quarter loop and secured it with a couple of small ties and then - it was perfect.

I love it. And as always I appreciate all that I learn when I eventually overcome these types of challenges, despite the number of family suggestions I received to take it to a luthier! Ha! They thought I had ruined a perfectly good uke by drilling all those holes in it!

I use four ukuleles on stage when we perform.

3 Ponos and a Rick Turner Compass Rose Tenor. All Have MiSi pickups as does my wife's Oscar Schmidt Bari Koa. I love those pickups! They sound great, have accurate reproduction and don't leave a bunch of batteries in a landfill.

Great product!

mi-si install ?

To all who have installed the mi-si via DIY, did you sand the bridge down a bit top accomadate the pickup? Installation otherwise looks pretty doable. Thanks!

Bryan

To all who have installed the mi-si via DIY, did you sand the bridge down a bit top accomadate the pickup? Installation otherwise looks pretty doable. Thanks!

Bryan

You should only have to sand down the saddle.

Thanks! What grade sanpaper, and just the thickness of the pickup?

Thanks! What grade sanpaper, and just the thickness of the pickup?

I usually use 120 grit, just the thickness of the pick-up wire if you have the action where you like it. Best to go slowly and turn it around every few passes so you don't end up with an uneven saddle.

Cool! Thanks a bunch! Looking forward to installing it...

To those of you who've installed the MiSi on a Pono...is it possible to just use the existing undersaddle piezo unit and plug it into the Acoustic Trio, instead of going to the hassle of taking the saddle off and re-situating a new piezo in there? I'm new to acoustic pickups, so I don't know if that's an option or not.

I installed this pickup in my KPK tenor and it sings!
Great pickup!

To those of you who've installed the MiSi on a Pono...is it possible to just use the existing undersaddle piezo unit and plug it into the Acoustic Trio, instead of going to the hassle of taking the saddle off and re-situating a new piezo in there? I'm new to acoustic pickups, so I don't know if that's an option or not.

This thread got bumped so maybe 11 months later is not too late to answer? The MiSi web site used to state that the design they used for their preamp was tailored very specifically for the capacitance and impedance of the pickup used but I don't find that statement on their site anymore. So...I guess the answer is, "maybe?"

John

Top Bottom