View Poll Results: How good can YOU sing?

Voters
529. You may not vote on this poll
  • I sing very well

118 22.31%
  • Not bad

175 33.08%
  • My singing is bad

187 35.35%
  • I don't know

49 9.26%
Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: How good do YOU sing?

I also sing pretty well, but I was better when I was younger and singing a lot. I'm still good enough that when I sing everyone says, "wow, you should sing more often!"

I think it will be a long time before I play as well as I sing, and when I sing and play at the same time, both suffer.
    Last edited by His Sinfulness; 04-17-2012 at 12:39 AM.
    Lanikai B-TCA tenor "Mystery Uke", Oscar Schmidt OU53 M baritone "The Big One", Rally concert banjolele "Cletus", Tomo Electric tenor "Little Red", Kala travel tenor "Slim", Monkeywrench Electric baritone "the Axe", hand painted Halloween uke "Spooky"

No action on this thread this year. The question concerns me personally. I've always sung a good bit and no one has ever complained unless I woke them up or interrupted a conversation or something like that. I have 20 odd videos of me singing in the last year up on you tube. In the last two months i've begun to notice some vibrato in my voice that a) wasn't there before and 2) i could have controlled before as in adding vibrato where I wanted it for effect. I'm about to be 58 in a short while so some changes are expected. But, I thought that singing regularly and more or less by the book, no screaming or straining beyond what someone in a chorus or choir might be asked to do by a director, would keep me safe from the ravages of 'old guy voice'. Maybe not.

If you want to help me by listening to a couple of samples and letting me know what you think please listen to a bit of a couple of songs from my uke channel first and then listen to 'ballad of the easy rider' which i did this week or 'winter lady' a leonard cohen song I did lately and let me know if you notice a lot of wavering (or anything else) and please let me know if you know what I should do to fix it if you know. Thanks

Alan

here's the yt channel
    http://www.youtube.com/user/alantphornton?feature=guide
    This space used sparingly to speed you onward to the actual content. Love, alan

Well according to my friends and strangers on You Tube, I sing really well. Although my voice doesn't sound that special to me.
    I'm Andy and I like to sing.

YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/send0uw

Tumblr: http://phoc-you.tumblr.com

I think you sing very well. Good pitch control. Rhythm is excellent both on the vocals and the playing. I especially like the uke on Sweet Child. Keep at it.

Have you posted samples somewhere?

Quote Originally Posted by His Sinfulness View Post
    I also sing pretty well, but I was better when I was younger and singing a lot. I'm still good enough that when I sing everyone says, "wow, you should sing more often!"

I think it will be a long time before I play as well as I sing, and when I sing and play at the same time, both suffer.

Only in the shower, and when I'm practicing in an empty house. My sister, who thinks I am this great and talented person, said I needed to take voice lessons. That was my clue that I was no Florence Nightengale. By the way, Jake Shimabukuro never sings. He did once when I went to see him, and now I know why he plays only instrumentals.

Seeing as I'm a voice teacher and a singer by trade, I'd better be a good singer!

I sing well, and I love to sing on stage, but it's always been such a hassel getting musicians together to back me and finding practice time for everyone, etc. etc. My guitar attempts all failed abismally, but with this whole new uke thing, I can see a future where *I* will actually, myself, get to control the musical feel of the songs I want to sing, and *I* will be able to hit the local open stage anytime I please without having to coordinate with someone first. EEEEEEEE!!! Very very exciting!

The whole family including the cats and yours truly has agreed that I stick to instrumentals, 'nuff said.
    Makala Dolphin Black, Aquila reentrant gCEA
    wanted: Ovation Applause UAE20

For my answer, I would like to refer you to my recent post in another thread, where I downloaded Autotune Evo, and even that couldn't cope with my singing.

I couldn't find the right note with a map and a compass.
    "It's not what you know, it's how loud you say it"

Thread Information