Votes: 123 22.2%
  • Not bad

Votes: 182 32.8%
  • My singing is bad

Votes: 199 35.9%
  • I don't know

Votes: 51 9.2%

• Total voters
I also sing pretty well, but I was better when I was younger and singing a lot. I'm still good enough that when I sing everyone says, "wow, you should sing more often!"

I think it will be a long time before I play as well as I sing, and when I sing and play at the same time, both suffer.

Last edited:
No action on this thread this year. The question concerns me personally. I've always sung a good bit and no one has ever complained unless I woke them up or interrupted a conversation or something like that. I have 20 odd videos of me singing in the last year up on you tube. In the last two months i've begun to notice some vibrato in my voice that a) wasn't there before and 2) i could have controlled before as in adding vibrato where I wanted it for effect. I'm about to be 58 in a short while so some changes are expected. But, I thought that singing regularly and more or less by the book, no screaming or straining beyond what someone in a chorus or choir might be asked to do by a director, would keep me safe from the ravages of 'old guy voice'. Maybe not.

If you want to help me by listening to a couple of samples and letting me know what you think please listen to a bit of a couple of songs from my uke channel first and then listen to 'ballad of the easy rider' which i did this week or 'winter lady' a leonard cohen song I did lately and let me know if you notice a lot of wavering (or anything else) and please let me know if you know what I should do to fix it if you know. Thanks

Alan

here's the yt channel
http://www.youtube.com/user/alantphornton?feature=guide

I think you sing very well. Good pitch control. Rhythm is excellent both on the vocals and the playing. I especially like the uke on Sweet Child. Keep at it.

Have you posted samples somewhere?

I also sing pretty well, but I was better when I was younger and singing a lot. I'm still good enough that when I sing everyone says, "wow, you should sing more often!"

I think it will be a long time before I play as well as I sing, and when I sing and play at the same time, both suffer.

Only in the shower, and when I'm practicing in an empty house. My sister, who thinks I am this great and talented person, said I needed to take voice lessons. That was my clue that I was no Florence Nightengale. By the way, Jake Shimabukuro never sings. He did once when I went to see him, and now I know why he plays only instrumentals.

Seeing as I'm a voice teacher and a singer by trade, I'd better be a good singer!

I sing well, and I love to sing on stage, but it's always been such a hassel getting musicians together to back me and finding practice time for everyone, etc. etc. My guitar attempts all failed abismally, but with this whole new uke thing, I can see a future where *I* will actually, myself, get to control the musical feel of the songs I want to sing, and *I* will be able to hit the local open stage anytime I please without having to coordinate with someone first. EEEEEEEE!!! Very very exciting!

The whole family including the cats and yours truly has agreed that I stick to instrumentals, 'nuff said.

For my answer, I would like to refer you to my recent post in another thread, where I downloaded Autotune Evo, and even that couldn't cope with my singing.

I couldn't find the right note with a map and a compass.

I sing well, and I love to sing on stage, but it's always been such a hassel getting musicians together to back me and finding practice time for everyone, etc. etc. My guitar attempts all failed abismally, but with this whole new uke thing, I can see a future where *I* will actually, myself, get to control the musical feel of the songs I want to sing, and *I* will be able to hit the local open stage anytime I please without having to coordinate with someone first. EEEEEEEE!!! Very very exciting!

* Can totally understand this one. Am living in a place where the music scene is so flakey.
The musicians in this area all want to get paid and no one wants to practice. Unbelievable.

I'm kinda curious, did some choir director tell you vibrato was bad at some point? Because what I'm hearing is that natural spin that happens when you relax the throat and let the air flow in a natural way. It's the natural correct way of singing, and it's the only kind of vibrato that's correct. You're doing fine, and have probably actually improved if that wasn't happening before.

Thread necromancing late at night, but I've been working with someone to get that natural vibrato to come out just in that natural open resonance way. She does it when she's not thinking. :) But thinking to back in the day when I thought this might be how I make my living, the subject of vibrato never even came up in a lesson. You just do what you're doing and it sounds lovely.

No action on this thread this year. The question concerns me personally. I've always sung a good bit and no one has ever complained unless I woke them up or interrupted a conversation or something like that. I have 20 odd videos of me singing in the last year up on you tube. In the last two months i've begun to notice some vibrato in my voice that a) wasn't there before and 2) i could have controlled before as in adding vibrato where I wanted it for effect. I'm about to be 58 in a short while so some changes are expected. But, I thought that singing regularly and more or less by the book, no screaming or straining beyond what someone in a chorus or choir might be asked to do by a director, would keep me safe from the ravages of 'old guy voice'. Maybe not.

If you want to help me by listening to a couple of samples and letting me know what you think please listen to a bit of a couple of songs from my uke channel first and then listen to 'ballad of the easy rider' which i did this week or 'winter lady' a leonard cohen song I did lately and let me know if you notice a lot of wavering (or anything else) and please let me know if you know what I should do to fix it if you know. Thanks

Alan

here's the yt channel
http://www.youtube.com/user/alantphornton?feature=guide

Yes, you should!

And remember, there's no licensing procedure or test or other special requirements for singing. Anyone can--and should--sing. Good? Bad? Who cares! You have the right to sing.

JJ

Indeed. Such a shame people are so uptight about being good. Today we are bombarded by over produced music played perfectly to a click track and piped cleanly though multiple auto tunes and we are collectively forgetting the most important thing about song. The freedom of course.

I have never heard me sing so i dont know what i sound like outside my own earspace, i can cover quite a few octaves but i also have a cleft palate which makes me sound like im speaking through a toilet roll lol despite this, i will eventually do a song on video for youtube, and i have found my niche by attempting to cover some late 80's, early 90's acid house classics (in my own little way), seeing as thats probably the only genre thats not been touched by the uke on the youtubes yet, and even though i voted I Dont Know im pretty sure my singing is quite dreadful :cool:

A Michael Buble legend in my own mind, ha!

I was in a "serious band" for many years (record company, tours, CDs). The band leader would not let me sing. In truth, blocking me was a personal-turf, ego-protection racket, but it kept me silent for over a decade.

Once I left that "bad relationship" I took up singing and have become a very good vocalist. I needed to get away from the biases about having enough range, or being able to hit that high note. I transpose songs to the key that works best for me, to create song stylings that have taste, emotion and tell the whole story.

Becoming a singer was the best thing I ever did to promote my musical life. Sing out!

Last edited:
To decaturcomp: Hi there friend. I have just had a listen to your version of Winter Lady and I think you have a superb singing voice. The one bit of advice I would like to suggest to you is to make sure that you give yourself plenty of breath to support your tone right to the end of each word or syllable. I think you will find that your voice will become more consistent if you focus on this.

Thanks for your videos. You are a true inspiration. Well done!

Top Bottom