• Not bad

Votes: 182 32.8%
  • My singing is bad

Votes: 199 35.9%
  • I don't know

Votes: 51 9.2%

• Total voters
My singing is not good :)
But I still love to sing and don't let my voice stop me, although I prefer playing while someone else sings :)

I hope I can sing OK

I don't sing for a living, but I do sing a lot.

I generally moderate at our SUPA song circles, and if you've read my thread about finding the One Key to rule them all, well, it's like this. I'm a Baritone so I tend to sing in a lower register. That doesn't bode well for the Sopranos and Tenors who make up SUPA. The point of the thread is to get your suggestions regarding how to handle leading singing with people who have different ranges.

I'm not opposed to transposing. In fact I believe we should do more of it, even to the point of having a song in several keys to accomodate various vocal ranges. This would mean having a few moderators to handle the various keys.

Anyway, getting back to how well I sing, people have complimented me when I sing on the sidewalks of Waikiki, ... but what have they been drinking before they offered their compliments?

I believe I can carry a tune through a song, if it's a song I'm familiar with.

There's sample on the Videos and Links category under S-U-P-A per YMCA. Here's the link. Hope you enjoy it.

http://www.4shared.com/file/118553383/e5d52e6c/SUPA.html

Last edited:
I think my singing is 'meh or under' but noone else seems to agree o.o

I think it's a conspiracy to send me out with false hope (shifty eye)

I sing all the time, I always have. To myself, at least -- after 18 years of being told how bad I sound, I am more than a little wary of laying my head on the block again. But I intend to gather together some recording equipment, record a song or two, and determine if I am as good as I think I might be, or as bad as the (ex) missus made me fear I was.

I don't necessarily care for my voice, and it can take me a moment to get on key if i don't do warm ups, and i can't always get to where I need to go in C...

But, I sing a lot better now than I did a couple months ago when I never sang.

Just decided to jump into that water and see where it takes me.

I sing okay, I can hold a tune, but my voice isn't that great or exciting. It's just average.
I never used to sing (except perhaps in the shower) until I got started on the uke and now I really enjoy strumming and singing along. Somehow holding an instrument makes it way less intimidating.

Yes, you should!

And remember, there's no licensing procedure or test or other special requirements for singing. Anyone can--and should--sing. Good? Bad? Who cares! You have the right to sing.

Indeed. Everyone should sing. It is one of the most marvelous things there is.

I cannot and should not be allowed to sing.

No, absolutely untrue. There is no one who should be prevented from singing. Everyone should sing. We all can. And we can all improve.

One thing that all the folks who feel they are bad singers should keep in mind: if you listen to a recording of yourself and hear things you don't like, those are the very things you can fix.

If you hear you are flat, you can learn to fix that. If you hear your tone is odd, you can fix that (though probably not the general recording dilema of "do I really sound like that?"—but one can definitely address fundamental tone issues). If it sounds like the song is too high or too low for your voice, you can fix that.

The only ones who should worry that they can't improve are those that can't hear what is wrong. (In which case, ironically, they won't have any confidence issues.)

So if you can hear things in your singing you don't like, rejoice! You have the skill you need to get better!

Anyone who posts a "alright, I am finally going to sing" video to this thread, I will subscribe. And if you ask for it in the video description I will happily give pointers and constructive feedback.

Now go out and sing for us!

I really ENJOY singing, but I have never recorded myself so I am not sure how it sounds, but I know if I can hit the notes or not and I think I have good pitch, just not the best range. I like to do Karaoke and RockBand a lot. Sometimes when I play at home my wife makes comments like, "you don't HAVE to sing..." which I am not sure if she's just tired of hearing the same song over and over while I am practicing or if it's because I'm not sounding that great. I've asked if it's because I sound bad but she just says "No" but whatever maybe she's trying to be nice. I guess I have to record it. What I really want to learn is Hawaiian Falsetto singing. Does anyone know if you can LEARN how to do that, or do you just have to be born with that ability? I think it is a beautiful thing and I am always blown away when I hear it. I sing along to falsetto in the car and can hit many of the notes, but that's only when I'm by myself, I'm too shy to try it in front of people! I know I can't sing along with the Bee Gees...

I really ENJOY singing, but I have never recorded myself so I am not sure how it sounds, but I know if I can hit the notes or not and I think I have good pitch, just not the best range. I like to do Karaoke and RockBand a lot. Sometimes when I play at home my wife makes comments like, "you don't HAVE to sing..." which I am not sure if she's just tired of hearing the same song over and over while I am practicing or if it's because I'm not sounding that great. I've asked if it's because I sound bad but she just says "No" but whatever maybe she's trying to be nice. I guess I have to record it. What I really want to learn is Hawaiian Falsetto singing. Does anyone know if you can LEARN how to do that, or do you just have to be born with that ability? I think it is a beautiful thing and I am always blown away when I hear it. I sing along to falsetto in the car and can hit many of the notes, but that's only when I'm by myself, I'm too shy to try it in front of people! I know I can't sing along with the Bee Gees...

Falsetto can be learned. Some people have nicer sounding falsetto's than others (mine is useful in a choir or for backing vocals but is best not used when I sing lead).

You can figure it out on your own, formal voice instruction can really help if this is something you really want to develop.

i hate the sound of my own voice but i make do with what i've got.

but.....

according to my youtube comments, i can sing anywhere from "good" to "flush yourself down the toilet, please!". so i voted for "not bad". that's middle-groundish right?

I sorta like to sing but it's really hard. I'm lower than an alto. Until someone catches me singing and says it's not too bad, I'll remain silent.

I sorta like to sing but it's really hard. I'm lower than an alto. Until someone catches me singing and says it's not too bad, I'll remain silent.
You are a contralto.

Top Bottom