Votes: 123 22.2%
  • Not bad

Votes: 182 32.8%
  • My singing is bad

Votes: 199 35.9%
  • I don't know

Votes: 51 9.2%

• Total voters
Thanks, Sally. I hate telling people I sing tenor.

You need to develop your voice, sukie. There are simply wonderful thing that contraltos can do that no one else can!

Plus we are all eagerly awaiting your next video!

Thanks, Sally. I hate telling people I sing tenor.
I am also a contralto. As a freshman in high school, I was trying out for a production of West Side Story and sang the Jet Song (a tenor boys song). After I sang the first two lines, the choir director jumped out of his chair and yelled, "What class are you in second period?" I said, "Math" and he replied, "Not anymore." Turns out he was short tenors in Concert Choir and needed me. It was great, as a freshman girl I got to sing tenor amongst all the really cool good looking seniors boys. Sometimes having a low voice pays off. Take that all you sopranos.

The only person that I know of that enjoys my singing is God. Well sometimes my wife says I sound ok but that is during worship.

We all sound good to God - "Make a joyful noise..." etc.

I really appreciate it that He looks upon our hearts! Don't you?

All things considered, especially in a crowd of (let's say 30, 40 , 50+) Uke players, probably no one sounds "bad". It's the same with playing the uke. In the same crowd probably no one sound "bad" playing their ukes.

That's why we've got to stick together folks! And there's not a more supportive group of instrumentalists than ukulele players, period!

What a wonderful community to be a part of.

And many, if not most, of them are right here on UU!

How fortunate we are indeed!

Thanks to the founders, moderators, and members who make up this wonderful community! And about those car stickers....

i can only sing specific songs well, i cant sing country. rap. reggae like some people can do (sing everything)

songs like "thats just the way it is" by bruce hornsby... Sung it in front of school before, and go re-asked to sing it at an assebly of excellence or something, i just need to learn how to play the piano!!

It just dawned on me that when I learned to play the uke (ready for this?) back in 1960(!), I wanted to sing along with the current rock-n-roll love songs I heard on the radio. This meant at least 2 things: 1) I had to learn how to transpose from what I heard on the recordings to the key I felt most comfortable with, and 2) I had to teach myself to sing and play at the same time (accompany myself singing).

Unfortunately there was no internet nor UU at that time. So what happened? I played around until I could do what I wanted. In other words, Un-structured and Un-supervised practice. At the time it didn't seem like "practice". After all I was "problem solving" with the uke.

In a similar way, for those on this thread, perhaps all we need is permission to go for it any which way we can. I'm sure there are better ways to get to where you want to end up, but let's not forget that your own attempts to get there are valid indeed.

My testimony is that it hardly ever felt like "work" to figure out what I wanted to do/have as a result. Sure there was frustration from time to time, but it was always somewhat of a joy because somehow I was always making progress, or so it seemed.

The same experience awaits those of you who will simply go for it.

That's my .02, for now!

Keep uke-in',

I LOVE to sing, in the shower, at worship, karaoke, even in the supermarket. I love to sing spontaneously making up songs and lyrics. I love singing even more than 'ukulele playing. That being said I'm not that great a singer but I have fun doing it. :)

I LOVE to sing, in the shower, at worship, karaoke, even in the supermarket. I love to sing spontaneously making up songs and lyrics. I love singing even more than 'ukulele playing. That being said I'm not that great a singer but I have fun doing it. :)

Ahhh spoontaneous songs. My wife hates/loves my spontaneous songs in public. They embarass her yet make her laugh. She never knows when I'm busting one out.

I can't sing. I mean I can't sing AT ALL. You can't fit enough i's in stiiiiiiiiink to describe how badly I sing. People at church move to other pews. Dogs howl. House plants die.

Oh, I'll do it once in a while. :D
Sadly, as bad as it is, it gets worse when I try to do it while playing an instrument.

I'd give anything to be able to sing, but it is what it is and I console myself by accumulating instruments. ;)

Top Bottom