Votes: 123 22.2%
  • Not bad

Votes: 182 32.8%
  • My singing is bad

Votes: 199 35.9%
  • I don't know

Votes: 51 9.2%

• Total voters
Aloha........ I was told at a young age that I sang very well, won several talent shows, did recordings at a local radio station, was main ambition at one time, been singing for 55 years and will do so till I can't. THE BEST THING I CAN DO.

The name of this thread should be "How Well Do You Sing", if you don't mind my grammar correction. I am strictly an in the shower, or in the car singer. I've had lots of upper respiratory infections, and I sound horrible. I fake it in church...I don't even know if lessons would help. I don't smoke any more, but I love coffee.

one of those questions that's very difficult to self-appraise. You only get an idea of what you're like when people tell you, for better or worse.

For me, I was laughed out of auditions for the primary school choir in Grade 6 and have borne the scars ever since!!! :eek:

yes. i like to sing, yes i think i sing alright, but safe to say i haven't heard myself on tape.. one thing i do know is that i sing way too fast...
singing should come from the heart, i go with the it's impossible to self-appraise motif expressed above.

My voice is my primary instrument. I am about to start towards becoming a music therapist and before this I studied musical theatre in NYC. Competed in NATS and took first and well as a few Thespian festival awards... and I love what salkulady had to say on the first page :)

" If you can walk you can dance, if you can talk you can sing.

Everyone should sing and dance, it's like exercise for the soul."

I think my singing is bad, but other people seem to like it a lot.

I think my singing is bad, but other people seem to like it a lot.

What Kawaii said. Plus I'm shy & self-conscious about it.

I've just started videoing myself singing and playing. My singing tanks until I can play a song with ease. Good thing to know before venturing out into public.

I only learn to play instruments enough so I have something to sing along with. If I always had a guitar/uke/etc. player with me I wouldn't know how to play anything other than what I learned being a percussionist in school/college band.

I agree wholeheartedly with this statement as well, "if you can talk you can sing".

Well, to quote one of my favorite authors, I would have to rate myself ~ Mostly Harmless

I can sing falsetto a bit better than just OK (or so I think). Everything else - meh.

My daughter is the real singing talent in our house. Whenever I would sing a happy little tune, she would yell at me to stop singing. (Aside from that, she's not usually that rude)

However, after I got my uke and was learning Elvis' Can't help falling in love with you, not only did she not yell at me to stop, she was actually singing along. In fact, we were even singing harmonies.

Go figger.

A couple days ago, someone posted a comment on one of my YouTube videos about my voice sounding like a cat in heat. I balance this opinion against the fact that this person hadn't posted any videos himself, and all his other recent YouTube comments were about p***.

I always thought I was OK until I recorded myself. Truth is I'm not that good. However, neither was Johnny Cash, who made a good living doing it. I do it for fun, like I ride my bicycle. The Tour de' France isn't on my radar screen and neither is American Idol!

I need a bucket to carry a tune in.

Feedback has ranged from "Well, that's better than I expected" to "I really like your voice!". No-one ever seems to comment on my playing, though... :p

Yes, you should!

And remember, there's no licensing procedure or test or other special requirements for singing. Anyone can--and should--sing. Good? Bad? Who cares! You have the right to sing.

JJ

That's easy for you to say! :eek:

......and likewise,.....at times it's nice not having "special requirements" forcing us to listen! :D

I don't even try to sing anymore,.....a bit tone deaf which is not good for a singer.

With an instrument,....i can get it close by ear,.....but there's aways something a little off.

.....thank god for electronic tuners. When it's tuned right it sounds sweet, just can't get there
without a little battery powered help.

Unfortunately, there's no battery powered helper for some of our voices. There's only one song i got requests for
30 years ago when i tried a few vocals.....but just never found the music or lyrics.

.... they asked: Can you sing: "Far far away"?

I'm not much of a one for the spotlight: I'm more of a joiner-in. Thus I never sang much, I just used to play along with the singers.

That preferred role changed through necessity. I've run an acoustic music session at my local pub for the last 5 or 6 years. The pub is tucked away in the middle of nowhere so it is a challenge to get enough singers to fill an evening. The old rule that if one wants something done one has to do it oneself kind of comes into effect in a situation like that. I had to start singing.

I thought I was dreadful. Although I can sing in tune better than I expected, I think my voice is harsh. Also, as I have a limited range I tend to belt the songs out at some volume as I find high notes difficult to reach quietly. I also have problems singing and playing at the same time if either the vocal line or the accompaniment have any unexpected rhythmic blips. I am easily thrown off.

All that said, I do now regularly sing in front of an audience. People seem, for some inexplicable reason, to like it. My singing gets described as "strong", "dramatic", "emotional", "loud", "powerful" sometimes even "pretty good". These people obviously apply different criteria than I do when they define "good". However, I agree with "loud".

If asked to sum up my singing I would probably say that I seem to get away with it most of the time.

I appear to have become quite well known for a kind of catch-phrase. It started off as a sincere apology, but is now just something that is expected of me. As I leave after a session or gig I call out: "Thank you very much. I'm sorry about the noise".

For the record, I'm with Salukulady and JJ. Screw it - if you have a voice of any kind, just sing and have the time of your life.

Top Bottom