Show us your ukes!

hi all, I am a newbie here but have been playing Uke several years. Here is my awesome collection. View attachment 105470

You'll see my UBASS, Makala Waterman, Luna Hightide Concert size, my Makala Pineapple, the Makala Shark which started it all, my Bohemian Guitars Surf Wax electric, and my sort of identified vintage Super Tenor. The vintage one is tuned GCEA but is 29" so I've just classified it as a big tenor. As for manufacturing information best I can figure it's from about the 1950s and is either a Telleno or Bobby Henshaw Uke. It matches images of Telleno ukes perfectly, but on the headstock there is the shadow of a sticker or brand that was once on it and the shape of that shadow matches perfectly to the Bobby Henshaw shape and placement. So I am leaning towards it being that.

You've amassed quite a collection. Which one is your fave?
Thanks for the pic!

Oh man, that's hard to say, it's like choosing a favorite child. The Makala Shark was my first one so it holds a place in my heart, I like the versatility of the Surf Wax as it allows me to utilize more of my effects pedals, but my go to for practice or performance is the Luna Hightide.

Updated family photo. My little herd of ukuleles has changed quite a bit from my last family photo, so here's an update. Each has it's own unique size, shape, sound, and personality.

Left to right in the first photo.....
Islander AS-4 Acacia laminate soprano, aka "Turtle." My camping uke.
Loprinzi custom concert - Cedar/Rosewood
KoAloha concert, circa 2006 - all Koa
Gary Gill #43 tenor with concert scale neck - Douglas fir /Mahogany.....aka "Fat Bottom Girl."

Attachments

• DSCF1564.jpg
    DSCF1564.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 126
  • DSCF1551.jpg
    DSCF1551.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 63
  • DSCF1489.jpg
    DSCF1489.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 65
  • DSCF1555.jpg
    DSCF1555.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
Updated family photo. My little herd of ukuleles has changed quite a bit from my last family photo, so here's an update. Each has it's own unique size, shape, sound, and personality.

Left to right in the photo.....
Islander AS-4 Acacia laminate soprano, aka "Turtle." My camping uke.
Loprinzi custom concert - Cedar/Rosewood
KoAloha concert, circa 2006 - all Koa
Gary Gill #43 tenor with concert scale neck - Douglas fir /Mahogany.....aka "Fat Bottom Girl."

Man. That's a nice collection RafterGirl!

E6AD073F-0170-44BF-A86D-7A4BCA20207B.jpgE2C6AA35-139E-419C-BFDC-106B9B984F03.jpgE19227CA-57A0-46EC-A47A-BA3FCEFACEA0.jpg3B3D524C-C35E-48A6-936E-5158E5911A30.jpgF850B965-5661-4C3C-B7D7-85E9D8F52BB2.jpg
Picked this up at an Estate sale today. Has Le Domino on the headstock and the dominos around the sound hole but they aren’t inlaid which I now see all Le Dominos were decals. Made of Maple with gold painted fret markers, not the dominos.
It’s got a few dings but it’s in pretty good shape. It had a sale ticket from 1950 for $10 still in the case which is a Geib Econo, so that was after 1937. And a learn to play book. The strings wont stay tuned, but the tuners look in good shape. Comments please! What should I do with this? I'm headed to Austin next week so I'll take it by local luthier.

Last edited:
View attachment 105929View attachment 105927View attachment 105925View attachment 105928View attachment 105926
Picked this up at an Estate sale today. Has Le Domino on the headstock and the dominos around the sound hole but they aren’t inlaid which I now see all Le Dominos were decals. Made of Maple with gold painted fret markers, not the dominos.
It’s got a few dings but it’s in pretty good shape. It had a sale ticket from 1950 for $10 still in the case which is a Geib Econo, so that was after 1937. And a learn to play book. The strings wont stay tuned, but the tuners look in good shape. Comments please! What should I do with this? I'm headed to Austin next week so I'll take it by local luthier.

These ukes were featured in an article of the current "Ukulele Magazine".

JZ Uke front.jpg
Joe Zier tenor, presently with low G

Tiple on chair.jpg
Regal (Chicago) tiple - tuned gG cCc eEe AA

May Bell.jpg
May Bell banjolele, by Slingerland

Since I can't seem to get rid of the Thumbnail that I loaded by accident, it's a Domino banjolele that now belongs to my friend David Newland.

Attachments

• MayBelle.jpg
    MayBelle.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
34xf7zq.jpg

My latest build:

IMG_2077.jpg
IMG_2078.jpg
IMG_2080.jpg

Extra-long-scale 6 string baritone uke, currently strung up as DgGBEE. Sitka top, Santos rosewood back / sides / fretboard / bridge / rosette, maple + walnut neck, maple binding.

Beautiful.....really beautiful baritone but this begs some questions!!! How long is the scale length and who is the builder???

Thanks!

Scale length is 625mm (24.75"), so well out of normal baritone uke range and well into guitar range, but the tuning is what defines the instrument IMHO, so I still call it a uke. Besides, I think ukuleles are all about your state of mind... ;-)

As for the builder, I built it myself.

You can see https://hackaday.io/project/56105 for some larger images, build process shots, and one sound sample video (hopefully more videos coming).

Cheers

Last edited:
My babies ....Koaloha KTM-00C named Kekepania and Bonanza Tenor named Atumn...Also have Kala KA-PWS and Oscar Schmidt OU-5...Love them all and all sound different....Thanx and God bless !!

KoalohaKakapenia.jpg

Autumn1.jpg

Koaloha01032018.jpg

USMCUke102017.jpg

Last edited:
My latest purchase for boat, beach and travel: Flight Travel Soprano TUS50 with ABS back and walnut laminate top.

cIWDFup.jpg

Top Bottom