need help deciding on this uke.

itgoesbwaaah

Reaction score
got a line on an Oscar Schmidt electric uke. dont know the size yet. ima look at it this weekend. its mahogany wood though. guy is askin 125. worth it or not. not sure what mahogany wood sounds like. the one i have now is zebra wood and a tenor. the other one i have im not sure of the wood but its a soprano. both are leolani. is the Oscar Schmidt a step up or a step down i guess is what im askin. need to k now asap cuz im lookin at it this weekend. thanx in advance.

OS has a laminate mahog and a solid mahog, and idk if electronics are an option for the solid. Based on the price point that sounds like the laminate. I cant really say much else w/o knowing the size, other than leolani is probably an equally good factory chinese uke as OS. somewhere just below kala/lanikai and ohana/mainland/bushman/makai.

I wouldnt pay $125 for a used OS, thats just me. I'd save up an extra $50 or so and go for an inexpensive ohana.

k. thanx for the input. im fairly new at the uke game btw. ive heard that the wood makes all the difference. what is a good wood to look for when uke shopping?

Depends on the sound you looking for. A spruce top will give you a brighter sound than a Koa and a mahogany will sound deeper. I would rate the OS and Leolani as being equal considering the price.

JB's Ukulele Hut
Agana Shopping Center, Suite 104 B
Hagatna, Guam 96932
671-472-UKES

k. thanx for the input. im fairly new at the uke game btw. ive heard that the wood makes all the difference. what is a good wood to look for when uke shopping?

Diferent wood can produce different sounds. Some mellow, some bright, some inbetween. Depending on the sound you are trying to achive can playa role in what type of wood you uke should be made out of. That said this really onlt applies to solid wood/solid top ukes. Laminates are basically plywood with a veneer of a decrative wood.

Some common woods are Koa, Mahogany, Mango, Spruce (tops), Cedar (tops). Builders get creative with different woods and can/will try just about anything. Check out this thread from more details about different woods.

Top Bottom