Jake Shimabukuro Strings

I'm very skeptical of the Pro Arte strings. I put a set on a classical guitar and they were horrible, I couldn't get them off fast enough (I did give them a week to settle down). The tuning was extremely unstable.

Any instability with the uke version of the Pro Arte?

I've used em, stays in tune once it's stretched and settled. A number of members use them and are very satisfied with tone, feel and playability.There's a number of strings available on the market, just a matter of finding ones that suits your needs.

After recently finding this thread, I ordered a set of D'Addario J71 tenor 'ukulele strings from Ukulele Underground to try out on my Ohana TK-10. Let me first say that it's not very often you get a personal note hand-written on the packing slip when ordering products online -- you folks at UU are always great to deal with!

My first impressions with the strings was great. They started settling in after less than a full day of being on there -- I also do some stretching of new strings with my fingers and that probably helped speed the process, but they seemed to settle in faster than a new set of Aquila Nylgut strings. I like the tone, sustain and feel of the strings, although I could see where my fingers would need some adjusting to the higher tension. They also seemed to require more nail when picking or strumming to get a clear tone and more volume.

Unfortunately, just about the time the tuning started to settle in, I noticed the neck of my 'ukulele was noticeably bending, so I had to take them off before permanently damaging it.

I hope to have a Kanile'a K1 tenor some day, and might give the J71s another try then -- hopefully it can handle the tension since Aldrine uses them on his without any problems that I'm aware of (maybe it's worth asking him.)

I just thought I'd update this thread in case someone else finds it who's considering these strings -- I found similar posts on Amazon reviews of the strings, in particular others who tried them on an entry-level instrument.

-Alan

I wanted to revive this thread to clear up a contradiction, hopefully. The youtube video description says:
J401(2)
J402
J403.

On D'Addario's site it says J4601, J4603, J4603, J4401 here:

http://www.daddario.com/DADProductD...enor&sid=9dd6c882-3d82-4640-8dad-9e7174bb99aa

Does anyone know which strings Jake uses for concert or soprano. Also, can these be tuned to 5ths if we want to tune the uke to mandolin? Thank you!

I forgot where I read it and was a few years ago. The article mentioned he used Pro Arte EJ46 and mind you, this was before the J71's were put together. The J71's were initially derived from the EJ46 Pro Arte Classical Guitar Strings.

After taking the Pro Arte J71s off of my TK-10 back in March, I just put them on my Kanile'a K1-TP yesterday and so far really like them. I started out the with Aquila Nylgut set that came with it, then put on Worth Clear for a while. The Pro Artes seem to be a little lower tension than the Worth Clears were -- at least they feel that way, could be because they're thicker, but I was having trouble fretting bar chords up the neck with the Worths and would probably need to lower my action if I was going to play with them. The Worths were very bright, which I liked, but felt I wanted a little more warmth. The Pro Artes seem to fit that bill pretty well so far. I also have a set of Worth Browns as well as Titaniums to try next. I have a feeling the browns are going to be too warm for my tastes.

-Alan

Top Bottom