CARS is junk

haolejohn

Reaction score
So I gave been wanting to get a Prius or some type of hybrid that gets 40 mpg plus and decided to try and take advantage of the CARS program. I own a harley and a 1995 toyota corolla that gets 30mpg but has like 300k on it. Check out website and my car doesn't qualify. Come on what about the middle man that hasn't killed the environment? so my opinion of CARS is it is junk.

Buy a $500 junker and trade it in, your still 4k ahead.

Buy a $500 junker and trade it in, your still 4k ahead.

Got to own it for 1 year with insurance. Its a just a hidden CARB program, it pulls polluters off the road cheaply. For that reason alone its a good thing even if the nasty republican in me says its handouts.

My viper qualifies I got a letter in the mail a week ago.

Got to own it for 1 year with insurance

Didn't realize that, all I own are PUs and they don't qualify. hadn't looked into it that much.

They also have to be between 8 and 25 years old. Newer or older, and you're out of the program. Some trucks do qualify as well.

Buy a $500 junker and trade it in. You're still 4k ahead.

That's one of the interesting side-effects of the program. There nearly aren't any $500 junkers anymore! And woe to the person who has saved up two or three grand and wants to buy some basic transportation to get to work.

That's because suddenly that clunker is worth up to $4500 at the dealer, no matter how little it would've gotten six months ago. And once you trade it in, it's sent to the junk yard, taking it off the market. So you've got an increasing demand for a decreasing supply. It's actually a fascinating economic experiment to see play out.

But, to me, that's the shame of the program. Not only is encouraging a lot of people to take out loans on a brand-new car when they probably shouldn't, it's also hurting those who would otherwise buy an el-cheapo car that's actually within their budget.

On the plus side, it is increasing the overall MPG in the country, and it is getting money swirling around in the economy again. But I'm sure there are programs we could've done instead that also helped the environment and economy, but that rewarded responsible consumer behavior and discouraged irresponsible consumer behavior, instead of the other way around.

:eek:ld:

JJ

Well, it's supposed to be cash for clunkers, so trading in a vehicle that gets 30 mpg don't necessarily qualify.

In georgia a car that is on its last legs is considered a clunker the mpg has nothing do do with it. I have been wanting to get a new car for future family but ny clunker keeps on clunking. What's frustrating is that I have put off buying a car for a long time. I have always bought used cars for like 2k or less and I want my future baby to ride in dependability. Oh well programs like this only help few. I guess I won't get a 40 mpg car. Can't afford one now. That 4500 was going to put nice dent in that price tag.

Top Bottom