Pimp your UKE!...or have I lost it?

for some reason my camera would not show the stripes in their correct tone
I know when I tell you this you might think less of me but it is goldleaf in sticker form one of the stripes is hiding a micro tiny ding i put in it that really upset me
now with that said do you like it less?
I tried to find someone to do inlay but it didnt work out
this cost me nothing
now that you mention it it would be cool if that was inlayed wood i feel it gives it that 1950's runabout boat look or vintage surfboard look
perhaps one day i will make contact with someone who can do inlay work its not like i cant peel the stickers off :)
but for now im happy with it

I am puzzled by your pain comment I hope it is a good pain if their is such a thing
I had the pain too...it was a good pain, one of longing. That looks awesome.

your all welcome to stop by and play it no real music has been made with it yet
bring snacks and ill supply the beverages :)

Keef, I think that looks great even if they ARE stickers. It's not like you turned it into a NASCAR racer or anything (that's what CASES are for!). You're right, it does have that sort of 1940s Chris Craft boat feel to it. And like you said, you can always peel them off. I know the feeling of that first ding. Not fun. They get easier as you get more of them!

To revive an oldish thread...

I finally caved and decided to dress up my favorite uke:

DSC_0009.jpg

Even though it's matte-finished, it still works since it matches the real inlay in the headstock. (It's only noticeably "not-inlay" if you brush your hand over the decals, since there are a whole bunch of different surface feelings going on there. I used the fret marker decals because the sopranino's body is particularly small (well, obviously), and I just chose the markers I saw fit. There was a feather-inlay one that came with the pack, designed for the twelfth fret of a guitar, and I tried using an X-Acto knife to cut out the feather from its black background so I could add it to the headstock, but... uh... yeah, that didn't work out.

The only problem is that when I'm playing, my birds look like they're a little drunk, flying in an awkwardly diagonal pattern :D.

Last edited:
I made my plain vanilla Flea look a tad less vanilla.
P1010043.jpg

I made my $25.00 Doane Clone Baritone (I'm a poet... and I don't even know it) looks like $35.00 baritone ;)
mini-P1010220.jpg
mini-P1010227.jpg

DSC_0004.jpg

Even though it's matte-finished, it still works since it matches the real inlay in the headstock. (It's only noticeably "not-inlay" if you brush your hand over the decals, since there are a whole bunch of different surface feelings going on there. I used the fret marker decals because the sopranino's body is particularly small (well, obviously), and I just chose the markers I saw fit. There was a feather-inlay one that came with the pack, designed for the twelfth fret of a guitar, and I tried using an X-Acto knife to cut out the feather from its black background, but... uh... yeah, that didn't work out. (I think I'm going to modify a sticker to add to the top portion of the birds in the flight because it looks a little weird, aesthetically. I gotta figure out what I'm gonna do first.)

The only problem is that my birds look like they're a little drunk, flying in an awkwardly diagonal pattern :D.

That looks great! I don't think they look drunk at all. This is going to sound strange, but it reminds me of a Haiku poem. A VISUAL Haiku.
Speaking of Haiku, I composed one at work one Saturday last year when myself and two coworkers were goofing around making them up. I think this may well be the single greatest Haiku of all time:

That's not a haiku.
It's too many syllables.
Jesus, you moron!

Last edited:
I made my plain vanilla Flea look a tad less vanilla.
P1010043.jpg

I made my $25.00 Doane Clone Baritone (I'm a poet... and I don't even know it) looks like $35.00 baritone ;)
mini-P1010220.jpg
mini-P1010227.jpg

I like them. I can't believe that was a $25 baritone. It looks great with those stickers. It even looks like WAY more than $35!. I have the exact same Flea, and yeah, it is a little boring to me. I have been trying to think of something to do with it. I need to look at those sticker listings on eBay more closely to see if I can find some I like. I hadn't thought of using the position marker stickers across the body (like StereoJoker's Ohana), but that might be the way to go. I would have LIKED to get a more colorful Flea, but I bought it at the semi-local store and didn't want to wait for them to order me one. Although that would have given me an excuse to visit with the cute salesgirl AGAIN, lol.

I love it. I loves ukes with bling! The more the merrier!

I like them. I can't believe that was a $25 baritone. It looks great with those stickers. It even looks like WAY more than $35!.
They're a laminate but with Aquila strings sound pretty darn decent (not super loud though) belying their low price, and the build quality is actually very decent with fancy bindings all around looking darn stiffy.
Don't know why they sell as "Heavy Metal" 'ukuleles. Here's a couple. The one that costs more has cheaper shipping so better deal:
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Heavy-Metal...tem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c55397f98
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Heavy-Metal...tem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4150bc2f7a
Here's our very own Anna UK (she's awesome) performing on her's:

DSC_0004.jpg

Even though it's matte-finished, it still works since it matches the real inlay in the headstock. (It's only noticeably "not-inlay" if you brush your hand over the decals, since there are a whole bunch of different surface feelings going on there. I used the fret marker decals because the sopranino's body is particularly small (well, obviously), and I just chose the markers I saw fit. There was a feather-inlay one that came with the pack, designed for the twelfth fret of a guitar, and I tried using an X-Acto knife to cut out the feather from its black background, but... uh... yeah, that didn't work out. (I think I'm going to modify a sticker to add to the top portion of the birds in the flight because it looks a little weird, aesthetically. I gotta figure out what I'm gonna do first.)

The only problem is that my birds look like they're a little drunk, flying in an awkwardly diagonal pattern :D.

They're beautiful! Your UKE is beautiful!!

CountryMouse

They're a laminate but with Aquila strings sound pretty darn decent (not super loud though) belying their low price, and the build quality is actually very decent with fancy bindings all around looking darn stiffy.
Don't know why they sell as "Heavy Metal" 'ukuleles. Here's a couple. The one that costs more has cheaper shipping so better deal:
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Heavy-Metal...tem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c55397f98
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Heavy-Metal...tem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4150bc2f7a
Here's our very own Anna UK (she's awesome) performing on her's:

That Star Wars Imperial March is too cool! I have a coworker who has that as the ringtone assigned to his ex-wife's number. Is that tuned to gCEA?

Last edited:
That Star Wars Imperial March is too cool! I have a coworker who has that as the ringtone assigned to his ex-wife's number. Is that tuned to gCEA?

My kid sis also has the same ringtone for her deadbeat ex.
Mine is gCEA using Aquila strings and if I'm not mistaken so is Anna's, ain't she GREAT. ;)

Ahnko?????

Hello, hello, how did my videos get into this thread????

Yes, my triangle uke has Aquilas and is tuned gCEA, too. I don't have the cool stickers that Ahnko's got, I painted on the fret markers with white paint. Massively high-tech...

I got mine from Skylark Guitars here in the UK, but I see they're not importing them anymore. It's a cool uke, but as a baritone with big fret spacing, I don't play it as often as I'd like - it's a big of a stretch for my girl hands.

Somehow the Imperial March sounds like a Greek folk song when played that way.

Which is really, really stinkin' COOL!

Top Bottom