Mango Ukes

Whew! What a relief! Actually, mine's a Ko'olau and I just put a Pono inlay on the headstock for when the tax collector comes around...

tax collector = wife?

What ? No? Why would you say such thing? She is wonderful, she will let me spend as much money on ukes as I want, she is... looking over my shoulder right now
The greatest!

:D

Great idea though.

***prints out "Mahalo" headstock stickers.

I love the look of mango and would like to get a Pono mango pineapple sometime in the future. I have a baritone right now, which I bought used on ebay. It is beautiful but I've had quite a few issues with it. The D string has snapped twice due to a rough notch at the nut, and all four strings buzz frequently so I have to adjust the truss rod ALL the time. Still, when it's "on" it sounds great. It's just more of a high maintenance instrument than I thought it would be.

Pono Mango owner here...

I'm with Deach. Although I do like the sound of mine, it has been a struggle to get it where I want it.

Check out most of my later vids (in my sig) for sound samples and low G tuning.

It's pretty, and I do love mine now, but I will not buy another Pono.

That said, the mango is a surprisingly good tone wood - my issues are with Pono construction, not the wood.

HoosierHiver is waiting for some Mango prototypes for his Mainland line... I'm looking forward to hearing those. Hard to go wrong with Mainland (yes, I'm biased... Hoosier is da bomb). Maybe he can shed some light on those for us.

For the record... my next uke is very likely a koaloha unless I just bite the bullet and get a custom.

i am gonna buy a mango uke next week if my ebay sales rake in a bit more cash :). (dunno what brand yet as i don't know how much i will end up with :p), probs end up with a kala.

Just to stick my nose in -- Call MGM and tell him what you want. Last year I ended up with a KoAloha concert for $600. I guess tenors are more, but it sure is a sweet ukulele. Listen to the UUers. They are here to help. They sure are not endorsing Ponos.

The funny thing about Pono (I just got my first one after being anti pono before) is last year at this time there was a big push for pono here at UU. The Ohai wood has gotten some bad press and the mangos I know they are not making anymore because of cost. I just hope that my 8 string doesn't flame out on me. My initial session with it was pleasing but that could have been because it was new.

Be advised that the Kala mango is a great instrument but it is a laminate. I owned one of them as well but sold it when I got my last tenor.

Top Bottom