What should I write a song about?

casetone2514

Reaction score
I have loads of bits of songs that I have written. Bits of melody, nice chord sequences even snatches of lyrics but I find it difficult to pluck an idea out of my head and complete it.

When someone says, "will you write a song about..." I have a better chance of coming up with something and I have done this many times.

So, what should I write a song about?

Tony

I thought I'd give you a few tips. I write songs whenever I am feeling a lot of emotion. If I'm mad, sad, excited. A lot of my songs come from the ups and downs of my relationship with my boyfriend. I feel it's easier because whatever I am feeling comes out on paper. So don't search for the song, feel it. Also, if you have ever experienced something that has changed you or something from your childhood that has had an impact on you, write about it. Just use your heart and your feelings. My song "Sculpted" was about my childhood and a time when I suffered with trying to please everyone and a bout of depression, trying to let people know I was hurting, but at the same time not wanting them to know. Another song, "You're To Blame" was about trying to help my boyfriend understand that I love him with all of my heart and he needed to step up and see what is right in front of him. Both of those songs are on youtube under colmes69 channel. Check them out and see what you think. Also, there's a few acapella songs on my youtube channel 0527brit, that I recently wrote. Take a listen and hear that my feelings are in all of those songs. GOOD LUCK!

Write a song about a drought. Bleak and hopeless.

anything I write ends up being cursed and/or a sad love story. I want you to write a song about something weird like the "doughnuts, go nuts" song from splosion man. something up beat.

How about writers block? Or maybe unanswerable posts on UU? Kinda like a sad love story.

I want someone to write a musical called, "Dogs".

i've always wanted someone to write a comic book about the secret life of dogs or something...it'd be amaaazing

like, it was pretty much the BEST part of the movie "UP" when all the dogs could talk. loved it.

but casetone, i think you should write a song from the perspective of a character in a movie or book that you like, something like that. i've been wanting to do that lately, seems like it could be fun. there's only so much you can write from your own perspective..

I keep a pad and paper with me. When something strikes me as interesting or funny I write it down. I then come back to it whenever I feel the need to write something.

You might want to write about something you need or miss. That is always a good bet.

I thought I'd give you a few tips. Take a listen and hear that my feelings are in all of those songs. GOOD LUCK!

Very good advice but it has never worked for me - I have a very temperate personality and I don't let things bother me. I am much better at 'crafting' songs but lack inspiration and, to an extent, imagination.

Thank you, your songs are lovely.

Tony

I want someone to write a musical called, "Dogs".

I believe Mr Lloyd-Webber wanted to write a musical about dogs but the line:
"Oh well I never! Was there ever a dog so clever as Magical Mr Mystopholes" just didn't ring true as dogs are not clever - they is stoopid.

Tony

anything I write ends up being cursed and/or a sad love story. I want you to write a song about something weird like the "doughnuts, go nuts" song from splosion man. something up beat.

...well why not think along the same lines and go for Lucky Charms that self-harm or Some dim Dimsum....?

How about writers block? Or maybe unanswerable posts on UU? Kinda like a sad love story.

Hmmm... a song about writers block would probably have a very long instrumental intro wouldn't it?

I like the unanswerable posts on UU idea.

I think you should write a song from the perspective of a character in a movie or book that you like, something like that. i've been wanting to do that lately, seems like it could be fun. there's only so much you can write from your own perspective..

I like Godot in "Waiting For Godot" and The Wizard in The Wizard of Oz - I'll try.

Eyelids, assholes, ears and lips,
nostrils, tonsils, penis tips,
Scrotums, tails and skin and eyes
make the fillings of meat pies.

It's a winner!

:biglaugh:

Can't wait to see your rendition of this on uketoob!

For what it's worth, I have the same problem. I have several tunes worked up that I have never been able to put lyrics to. I even have one nicely recorded with a good bass line and some lead...but no lyrics.

Hmmm...maybe I should give it to you. You write lyrics for my tunes, I'll write some for yours?

Top Bottom