Easy beginner songs that sound awesome?

tebuddy

Reaction score
Do any exist? I have been playing very inconsistently (10-15 mins every two-three days) about two months and have gotten decent at chord switching, strumming, etc but I am looking for something simplistic to play that sounds cool/ukulele'ish

Last edited:
learn somewhere over the rainbow by bruddah iz, heaps of vid on the net and you get a great range of chords in too

I learned the 12 bar blues first from here and Aldrine's Uke minutes.

Funny you should say that, I love that video and have been slowly learning the 12 bar blues since last week. Awesome.

Thanks for the responses so far guys, very helpful.

Don't concern your self with impressing anyone but yourself.

Once you start playing, just about anywhere, you'll be in the minority and anyone who listens probably won't be able to play, so it's automatically impressive.

"Impressive" comes with time and lots of practice. You'll get there, esp if you're doing 10-20 mins a day. That adds up really fast!

Keep uke-in'

I learned the 12 bar blues first from here and Aldrine's Uke minutes.

http://www.youtube.com/user/MusicTeacher2009

You can't go wrong on this site. The musicteacher is really a music teacher. He teaches the uke to school kids. There are about 120 or so videos that show the chords, then he plays the song with the words and chords that you can play along with and even sing if you want.:cool:

A really easy, great song that you might be able to pick up quickly is Weezer's Island in the Sun. Aldrine does a version of it in one of his videos that's really smashing, and although it doesn't sound exactly like the guitar version with a cheaper uke, a lot of people will recognize it. Good luck!

http://ukuleleunderground.com/2009/02/28/uke-lesson-15-island-in-the-sun/

You can't go wrong on this site. The musicteacher is really a music teacher. He teaches the uke to school kids. There are about 120 or so videos that show the chords, then he plays the song with the words and chords that you can play along with and even sing if you want.:cool:

A BIG thank you to both you and Hosh for recommending http://www.youtube.com/user/MusicTeacher2009

He is fantastic! He takes things slow, shows all the chords, and the chord fingerings appear on the screen during the actual playing portion. No need to try and memorize all of the chords and progressions right away. A perfect aid for a newbie like me who requires a bit more time to commit all of that to memory.

Thanks again for the heads up!

I have been playing very inconsistently (10-15 mins every two-three days) about two months and have gotten decent at chord switching, strumming,

I'm willing to bet that the 10-15 mins will start to increase. I have found that while working on chords or a song, even just working on strumming patterns, that an hour or two will slip by. I can always take out the trash in morning.

First Song I Ever Learned...

"It's a Heartache" - Bonnie Tyler/Rod Stewart/Wellington International Ukulele. I thought it had more of a country feel to it...Not that I'm a huge country fan, but I could kind of connect with that song.

4 chords. 2 days to learn. I've been playing since August of this year.

Many Beatles songs sound wonderful on the Uke. Our groups enjoys Eight Days a Week and When I'm 64, but there are lots that sound great.

Love Potion #9 and I Can See Clearly Now are both real easy in terms of lyrics & chords.

I have these songs posted in the LINKS section on the website listed below:

Try Rubin & Cherise by the Good Ole Grateful Dead....I just learned it sunday...fast chord changes but nonetheless easy enough...... man I love the way it sounds on a uke!....Its all I have played for 3 days now!:shaka:

Many Beatles songs sound wonderful on the Uke. Our groups enjoys Eight Days a Week and When I'm 64, but there are lots that sound great.

Love Potion #9 and I Can See Clearly Now are both real easy in terms of lyrics & chords.

I have these songs posted in the LINKS section on the website listed below:

Learning the Beatles has been working for me. I've only been playing for just over a fortnight, but I can play 8 days a week, from me to you, let it be, when I'm 64, and She Loves you. Can't play them *perfectly*, but they are recognisable at least. I'm finding it easier, since many of them have the same chords with just one or two new ones to learn each song, therefore practicing the chords I've already mastered, whilst slowly taking on a few more. Doesn't feel such a struggle when you already know 4 out of the 5 chords in a song, plus playing familiar songs really helps in my humble opinion.

Anyway, enough of this typing ma'larkey, I should be practicing my "E fretting technique". It won't beat me, I *will* play that elusive E chord...

Top Bottom