Touchscreen Protector as Clear Pickguard?

psesinkclee

Reaction score
Hey Everyone.

I was cleaning out my office yesterday and found a big pack of Fellowes WriteRight clear screen protectors for things like PDAs, iPods, Mobiles, etc.

61n5oVwzXmL._SS500_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Fellowes-Writeright-Universal-Screen-Protectors/dp/B000REEA7

I trimmed 2 of them and applied them to my plastic Mauna Loa uke right where my hard GUGUG strumming scratched it and it looks fantastic. They're barely noticeable and are holding up really well.

Now, I've been looking into ordering clear pickguard material for my gloss finished Pono Mango Tenor. Do you guys think these things could do the job without damaging the finish? I figure that if they are placed on LCD screens they can't be using glue, but rather a kind of restickable material on them.

Any thoughts?

Sounds like a plan, better than my clear packing tape idea.

It seems to me that if you can apply it and remove it without too much residue, it might just be the thing. I'm envious. Got any extras?

Yeah, it seems that that area of our beloved ukes need some kind of special care and protection, otherwise they'll be the first (maybe besides the first few between-fret areas) to really show wear and tear.

Thanks for sharing your discovery with the rest of us!

Very neat idea.

I put a stick on pick guard on a flat top mandolin once. It cost much more than one of those screen protectors, and I had to take it off anyway as it inhibited the sound from the mando. If I'd tried your idea I'd have wasted a few quid less! :D

They seem to be holding up after playing with my Mauna Loa all of yesterday. No fraying on the edges or lifting. the plastic is slightly stiff, so it stays down really well. I found that you can apply it with a a bit of water (just a few drips) and when you squish it out it makes it so there's no chance of bubbles. :D

Got any extras?

Packing tape?? PM me your address and I'll send a couple your way :)

Yeah I don't see a reason why they wouldn't work.. Thanks for the info on these thats awesome!

Has anyone heard of or used clear decal paper to protect your uke?

Roxhum

Top Bottom