Modern Martin-Replica Builders?

psesinkclee

Reaction score
I remember seeing a thread a long while back of a ukulele builder that made Martin-replica ukuleles. I think the seller was based on eBay and sold them with those cases that have really thin fabric covered walls. Anyone know who this person is? or maybe know of other builders who make Martin-like ukes now?

I love the vintage look of Martins, but don't want to shell out tons of money for a good quality one.

Look into Kiwaya. Their ukes look and sound alot like Martins. I would love to have a KTS-7, or even a KTS-4.

I believe Mike DaSilva does Martin reproductions. Check the Custom Luthier's Listing for his website. For a production line instrument, the Kiwaya Ukuleles are supposed to be the closest thing to Martins.

Yeah, I know about Kiwayas, but I'm not digging the price tag so much on the good looking ones that they make, or the fact that their tops are so thin (making me think it would be delicate). The ones I remember seeing on eBay were around 500$ and looked similar to Martin 5K, but in a matte finish rather than gloss, and mahogany wood.

I remember seeing a thread a long while back of a ukulele builder that made Martin-replica ukuleles. I think the seller was based on eBay and sold them with those cases that have really thin fabric covered walls. Anyone know who this person is? or maybe know of other builders who make Martin-like ukes now?

I love the vintage look of Martins, but don't want to shell out tons of money for a good quality one.

Paul, I think you're thinking of Ken Timms (who posts here as Timbuck - visit the Luthier Lounge). He builds Martin pattern sopranos and sells them on ebay.

i'd love a martin taropatch replica or just a martin :) thats pretty much my life goal, owning a martin ukulele.

Paul, I think you're thinking of Ken Timms (who posts here as Timbuck - visit the Luthier Lounge). He builds Martin pattern sopranos and sells them on ebay.

I think you're dead on with that one! I PMed him about his ukes. Thanks bbycrts!

I have one of Kens replicas, and calling it that makes me a bit sad. It really is an amazing indepent instrument, not "just" a Martin-copy.... though you can't argue that it looks like one :)

Dave Talsma

I asked Dave Talsma how much for one of these:
talsma_concert3k_lg.jpg

He quoted me a price quite bit under what an acutal Martin would cost. I'll leave it to him to quote you himself, but it wasn't much more than a factory made Kiwaya with similar adornment/setup. I've met him, he's a nice guy, very informative, loves to talk about the subject, and his work speaks for itself.

www.davetalsma.com

Yeah I was thinking of getting a Martin Style 3 copy (as I think they are the best of the whole range). I looked at Kiwaya but I feel that the price is a bit too high for me.

Because many smaller volume builders have a hard time getting their Ukes sampled by larger audiences it's hard to get a consensus if one builder's work is better than another. If looking for a Martin-style Uke that has proven itself to a wide amount of players, I would hedge and go with Kiwaya. I've played several of their models and indeed they are very martin-like without the full-blown cost. Of course my own opinion would to be save up a little longer and go for the real deal. I very much would like a 5K Martin, but I am not yet ready to spend that much. So instead of buying a knock-off that has alot of bling and captures only the theme, I have chosen to purchase lower series models of Martin guaranteeing that awesome quality, tone, workmanship and full backing by Martin while I save my cash and to move up the line to a 3 Cherry, and one day hopefully a 5K .

i'd love a martin taropatch replica or just a martin :) thats pretty much my life goal, owning a martin ukulele.

Asked for a rough estimate for what would basically be a Martin "like" concert size taropatch from LoPrinzi last weekend. Just under $1k, but that was for a basic model, and wasn't a firm estimate. Have to contact Donna. I think I asked Ken Timms once, not sure he wanted to do one though.

One of the best Modern Martin replica builders is Martin.

:)

attachment.php

Last edited:
Not sure of your price range but you can find nice 50's Martin Style O's for $700 or less. Then you'll have the real thing, they sound great too!

Save yourself money and buy either a vintage Martin or new Martin. Chances are you will buy a "replica" and then you'll still want a Martin. I found a pristine Martin 0 (c.1963) on Craigslist for $500 last month. And I found a lovingly-played Martin 0 (c. 1923) for $700 last week with a google search. Just my $0.02.

Not sure of your price range but you can find nice 50's Martin Style O's for $700 or less. Then you'll have the real thing, they sound great too!

And everything else mentioned in this thread (Kiwaya, Talsma, Timms, etc.) will lose value on resale (sorry, it's true); the actual vintage Martin will not.

So, Martin or Martin "knock off": which is truly more costly?

And everything else mentioned in this thread (Kiwaya, Talsma, Timms, etc.) will lose value on resale (sorry, it's true); the actual vintage Martin will not.

So, Martin or Martin "knock off": which is truly more costly?

Buying a vintage Martin isn't a full-proof way to avoid a haircut, cool. It is probably a better bet, though, if losing money on resale is the only consideration. A lot of people just aren't into vintage. I myself prefer to buy new, with warranty, even though I sell everything off anyway in the end. Lol. But I don't think the average player does what we do in that respect. To answer the op's question from five years ago, the answer is Tim Laughlin; they don't come cheap, but I don't think they come better, either.

Buying a vintage Martin isn't a full-proof way to avoid a haircut, cool. ### I never said it was "foolproof"; buying a vintage Martin at a reasonable price (sure, overpaying for any brand is not going to net value in resale) will garner the best resale. I know--I've sold 3 Kiwayas and about 5 Martins online in the past year, soup. ###

It is probably a better bet, though, if losing money on resale is the only consideration. ###Who ever said it was the only consideration. It is one consideration only, and the op wanted to save money; sometimes saving money is buying the original. I wanted to give that perspective.###

To answer the op's question from five years ago, the answer is Tim Laughlin; they don't come cheap, but I don't think they come better, either.### except, perhaps, the original Martin, which is what the others are trying to emulate###

Mele is a ukulele company that started out copying Martin plans that they came across and they make some very nice instruments. I have a very nice tenor ukulele made by John Copley (Copley) in Canberra thats a Martin copy.

Anthony

Yeah, I know about Kiwayas, but I'm not digging the price tag so much on the good looking ones that they make, or the fact that their tops are so thin (making me think it would be delicate). The ones I remember seeing on eBay were around 500$ and looked similar to Martin 5K, but in a matte finish rather than gloss, and mahogany wood.

Now, you can get a Martin C1K for less than $500.

Top Bottom