Jake could make a fortune!

d2d

Reaction score
How much would you be willing to pay for a dvd lesson by Jake on how to play While My Guitar Gently Weeps? (Now there's a UU survey, if I ever saw one!)

Arguably, this is the "Gold Standard" for Ukes. (My Credit Card is ready:D!)

Who is managing this guy, anyway?!

From what I've heard from Dominator, Jake is currently making a tab book of a lot of his songs. I'd ask Dominator personally or wait for him to come to this thread though :D as I'm just a mortal in comparison to Dominator and Jake.

I don't think it's exactly a universal "Gold Standard" though. I just want to be able to smile genuinely while playing and spread my happiness.

Edit: Found a source other than Dominator.

http://liveukulele.com/interviews/interview-with-jake-shimabukuro/

It's not dated though, so I don't know if this interview is old or not.

Last edited:
forget the credit card, download power tab for free! i'm using it to learn weeps as we speak.

much love

That would explain why he asked Dominator to remove all of his tabs from the site.........

So he can probably copyright his arrangements while publishing them......

Already learned it ;D

It's really not that hard if you look at what he does. All I did was carefully study his vids.

there's several sources for his stuff, the live ukulele link is one,
another version can be pirated off of bitcomet
but there's also a few of them here
http://ukucafe.wordpress.com/about/trouvees-bien-planquees-sur-le-web/
I'm not a huge fan of the ones from that link, the best ones are from another source, but I'd like to see some videos or something with some good uke work to make sure you're interested before I divulge who it is as I don't want them getting spammed by people who are half-heartedly attempting it. It's not asking too much since he asks for recorded evidence of each song he provides before he gives you another.

Can one copyright someone else's song?
I believe that he meant so jake could copyright it.

Also, I agree with ben on the youtube video, something that technical would take a VERY long time to have a lesson over, and moreover its nice to learn it in a way that you personalize it, playing something just straight is ok, but if that video says anything its that the original isn't right for every occasion

I figured he meant could Jake copyright Harrison's song.

I'm pretty sure you can copyright your original arrangement. Some agreement or fee might have to be paid to the original copyright holder first though.

The Ukulele Club de France interviewed Jake Tuesday before his show, the songbook+dvd will be out at the end of the year 2009.

wouldn't pay a dime for it and wouldn't want it! music is really interpretation. play weeps how u like it! make it sound pretty!

i play it TOTALLY dif. then he does but with the same basic chords and it flows just pleasantly!

i dont think jake should create a tab booklet only for one reason. the reason that music is interpretation and mostly expression! what can u express by playing a piece exactly as the creator?

wouldn't pay a dime for it and wouldn't want it! music is really interpretation. play weeps how u like it! make it sound pretty!

i play it TOTALLY dif. then he does but with the same basic chords and it flows just pleasantly!

i dont think jake should create a tab booklet only for one reason. the reason that music is interpretation and mostly expression! what can u express by playing a piece exactly as the creator?

That is the *point* of him making the tab book.

By showing you what *he* does you can learn it how you want to. Watch Jake play, every song he does he changes something everytime he plays it. When he makes this tab book he will give you the guidelines so the person learning the material can than make it their own.

I don't understand why people have to press this point so badly. I mean there are a lot of people who don't have absolute hearing, who can use these tabs as a foundation to work from. Or just pick up some new techniques. And you know there is more to music then just notes. There is also rhythm and volume to express your emotions through a song.

And what is wrong with playing it the way Shimabukuro plays it?
It's a beautiful version. I know would like to give it a try or two.

Why wouldn't people share their knowledge. If we didn't learn from each other, we wouldn't have evolved to where we are now.

Yes, one's arrangements of another's song can be copyrighted. In fact if your arrangement of someone else's song is based upon someone else's arrangement you should credit the arranger as well as the composer. That even includes arrangements of songs in the public domain: John Fogerty's CCR arrangements of Midnight Special and Cotton Fields are very distinctive and if you make money with your reccorded version of those songs and the arrangements are a little too close, Fogerty could theoretically take you to court.

Top Bottom