1,000 Leis contest!!!

Spooner

Reaction score
A long time ago in a galaxy...well...right here...our forefathers started hosting contests when they hit their 1,000 post. At the time of this posting I hit the 1,000 mark square on the nose.
So...I will jump on the band wagon and put one of these floopjackers together!

No need to mention names but there is some guy on here who is like the Santa Claus of ukuleles.
It is his inspiration and generous soul that moved me to do this.
Basically what I am saying is you will be Sp-eached.
I am also following that guy's contest outline that is stickied...dont ask how it got sticky....in this section.

So let's get to it shall we?

* some sort of theme: The title pretty much spells out the theme...well kinda. We'll get to that.

* specific rules (ie you must say "this is for the blah blah blah contest" at the beginning of the video): Every post here has been like receiving a lei greeting in Hawaii. Thus I feel like I have been leid one thousand times. So too shall ye be leid in this contest!!!
Rules:

1) You MUST wear at least one lei in your video(s)!!! If you have a thousand on hand...even better! ; 0 P

2) You MUST open your video with "I got leid on SpoonerRadio." It ties in with the prize. Of course you can mention UU as much as you want...just open with the sentence above please.**Update for clarity: Please post "I got leid on SpoonerRadio" along with your song name for the title of your video.**

3) Since the magic number is 1,000, we will work with the 2 numbers 1 and 0. You can pick any genre of music from any era just as long as the song(s) was/were recorded with the ending year of 0 or 1 (i.e. 1970, 1971, 2000, 2001, 1910, 1911, etc).

4) While I appreciate all of the video work and multitracking that some people do around here...for this contest...it's a one track one shot deal! No edits, no more than one track of music. In short, play and sing...record and post.
**Update for clarity** The question was posed if backing loops, effects and such were acceptable. The answer is no. What I am asking is for contestants to sing while playing their uke with NOTHING else but their uke and vocals..to be played and sung at the same time as you are video taping yourself while singing and playing with no background music, effects or additional musicians PLAYING (any instruments) or SINGING. You are the sole musician entering this contest. it is to be 1 take/track of you playing and singing...or not singing if the song is instrumental...1 LIVE take/track...do not add separate tracks. I hope this clears any confusion up and answers any questions. If you have any please feel free to post before putting out a video. **Update for clarity: post your video links here.

* end date (2-4 weeks is plenty of time): Let's give this a month. The end date will be 10/18/09 at 11:59 EST.

* number of entries permitted: I can see some people having some fun with this. So, 5 will be the maximum.

* judging criteria: I am looking for uniqueness and originality. Step outside of the box. Have fun with this! That's what it's here for. I will also seek out new life and civilizations..ok...another person on UU to help me judge to keep the playing field level. In the event of a tie...each uke player must face off in the cage of death..ok...we'll ask someone else for their opinion.

* prize: Now...the moment you have all been waiting for. Drum roll please....

1) A brand NEW...just out...Flame mahogany Kala Tenor Ukulele KA TEM..with hard shell case and a Kala KC-02 Tuner.

2) A live SpoonerRadio CD

3) A special guest DJ spot on an upcoming SpoonerRadio broadcast.

There may be some other goodies added to the pot but for now...we'll go with that.

...and there you have it.
1,000 posts...1,000 leis...1,000 entries?

Hey, if you have 1,000 ukuleles and dont need another one...feel free to join and...Sp-each this uke to someone else. It's all about spreading love, Aloha and ukulele!

Good luck to everyone and here's to another 1,000 leis!!!

...and here is the big prize:

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

Now...ain't that GORGEOUS!!!

I Got Lei'd On SpoonerRadio Contest Entires:

mrplatypus70:
Bruce Springsteen -Point Blank -1980
Rolling Stones - Dead Flowers - 1971
Led Zeppelin - Tangerine - 1970
Pink Floyd - If - 1970
Van Morrison - Caravan - 1970

SamWise:
American Music Club - The Confidential Agent - 1991
Nitin Sawhney - Sunset - 2001
David Gray - Babylon - 2000
Joni Mitchell - Carey - 1971

sputnik1nz:
Bryan Adams - Everything I Do I Do For You - 1991

specialmike:
The Kinks - Lola - 1970

Ambidextrina:
Stevie Wonder - All I Do - 1980
Neil Young - Only Love Can Break Your Heart - 1970

bunnyflower:
The Shirelles - Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow - 1960
Gerald Marks and Seymour Simons - All Of Me - 1931

moosenamedmorton:
The Grateful Dead -Casey Jones -1970
The Beatles - Across The Universe - 1970
Bob Dylan - Mississippi - 2001

Captain_Lovehandles:
The Everly Brothers - Cathy's Clown - 1960

tom:
Delbert McClinton - Givin' It Up For Your Love - 1980
Three Dog Night - Out In The Country - 1970
Little Feat - Willin - 1970

andreavmusic:
Smash Mouth - All Star - 2000
Jimmy Eat World - The Middle - 2001

ukemonster:
The White Stripes - Hotel Yorba - 2001

Wagster:
Blues Image - Ride, Captain, Ride - 1970

mrUKETOBER:
The Kinks - Lola - 1970
Nelly - Ride Wit Me - 2000

JT_Ukes:
Jimmy Buffett - Little Miss Magic - 1980

UkuLeLesReggAe:
The Carpenters - Close To You - 1970

Zaza The Rebel:
REM - Losing My Religion - 1991
Train - Drops of Jupiter - 2001
Blondie - The Tide is High - 1981

NatalieLin6:
Elton John - Levon - 1971
Creedence Clearwater Revival - Have You Ever Seen The Rain - 1970
Good Charlotte - Lifestyles Of The Rich And Famous - 2001
Weezer - Keep Fishin - 2001
Survivor - Eye Of The Tiger - 1981

Ser-T-Fide:
Outcast - Ms. Jackson - 2001

kangatheroo:
The Mills Brothers - Up a Lazy River - 1930
Debbie Reynolds - Aba Daba Honeymoon - 1950

camface:
Allman Brothers - Midnight Rider - 1970
The Tokens - The Lion Sleeps Tonight - 1961
The Who - Behind Blue Eyes - 1971

ireallylike38:
Enrique Iglesias - Hero - 2001

ukeohio:
Matchbox 20 - Bent - 2000

Last edited:
Just to tempt you a lil....

The Kala will be shipped directly from Hawaii from our good friend MGM and he said he will pick a NICE one for this contest!! I think you all know that means this is going to be one GORGEOUS uke!!!

The new Flame mahogany ukes are jaw dropping just in case you havent seen them!!!

Looking forward to your entires!!! :shaka:

4) While I appreciate all of the video work and multitracking that some people do around here...for this contest...it's a one track one shot deal! No edits, no more than one track of music. In short, play and sing...record and post.

Sooo lets say I have loop pedal, and I had a backing while i played, would that be fine?

Also, what is the limit to how many people that can help me

What a neat idea... and I've never been lei... I mean I don't have a flower necklace so I'll have to go buy a few.:)

Two words: Dollar store. Though maybe it's a summertime thing. My son wanted a tropical theme birthday party last July, and my wife went to the dollar store and found all sorts of decorations, supplies, and favors for a low-budget luau including leis -- and while they were cheap they were better than those horrid crinkled plastic things I've sometimes seen.

We have some left over but I'm going to wait until I've played uke for more than a week before entering any contests. I might want to learn a fourth chord or something crazy like that.

Sooo lets say I have loop pedal, and I had a backing while i played, would that be fine?

Also, what is the limit to how many people that can help me

I had hoped to be clear enough.
I will make some tweaks to be more specific.

What I meant by "one shot deal, play/sing/record/post" was you play your uke while singing the song(s) you chose...while recording...then post it once you have done that.

No backing effects...no background music...just you and your uke.

As far as people helping you...you can have eleventy billion people help you...just as long as your submitted video(s) is just you playing your uke and singing in one take.

I'll try to be a bit clearer and adjust the rules.

Hope that clears it up though.

Two words: Dollar store. Though maybe it's a summertime thing. My son wanted a tropical theme birthday party last July, and my wife went to the dollar store and found all sorts of decorations, supplies, and favors for a low-budget luau including leis -- and while they were cheap they were better than those horrid crinkled plastic things I've sometimes seen.

We have some left over but I'm going to wait until I've played uke for more than a week before entering any contests. I might want to learn a fourth chord or something crazy like that.

Most towns nowadays have a Party City near them or a craft store like Michaels. Those places also sell leis. The .99 store thing is a great suggestion. I hadn't thought of them.

OK folks...I added an update for clarity.
Please...if you have any questions or are confused please post away and i will happily answer your questions.

Now...bring on the leis!!! :)

You've got 4 weeks and change. There's alot of great tunes out there with only three chords. Give it a shot. Ya never know.

well since this isn't one i can be beaten by impressive multitracking and fancy editing i might be tempted to enter my first ever competition here. Eek! Great comp.

Top Bottom