Page 34 of 36 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 LastLast

Thread: Building an arch top ukulele

Get in with a group build from 2009? How slow do you think these guys build?

Welcome to the forum.

Ha, yeah, late to the party and all...

I did recently get the Benedetto book with the intention of adjusting to a uke, and got the files from Matt's link. We'll see where I end up.

Aloha everyone, this is Bradford and I am surprised that this thread is still alive! I have not been on the forum for so long , I forgot my original sign in info, so I set up a new account. I am on Kauai now, but we split our time between here and Cannon Beach. I have duplicated my shop here and am starting to up my production again. I had some health problems, as well as some other issues a few years ago and had to abandon my wait list. Anyway I am glad to be building again and happy that there is still interest in arch tops. Will be happy to help any way that I can.

The prodigal son returned! Glad to have you back, Brad.
    - Shaun Wright

Thanks much, it is nice to be back

Quote Originally Posted by BuzzBD View Post
    Thanks much, it is nice to be back
    Yes, Bradford, it is indeed wonderful to have you back! I'm glad that your health has improved!

I'm still playing my Custom Concert that you made for me - it is my most favorite of all of my instruments, and my primary gigging ukulele.

Thank you, thank you, and thank you again!

Let me know when you are again up to speed -in the event you buid a soprano on spec, I would be very interested (particularly if it has peghed or gotoh UPY tuners...)

-Kurt
    Ohana CK-65D * Ken Timms Soprano
    Moku MS-90S * Waterman G-I-T-D * National Triolian Reso * Bugsgear Aqualele * Donaldson Concert *
    Rosewood Vita Uke * Waverly Street #38 * Ko'Aloha Sceptre Tenor * Ohana Vita Uke * FireFly banjo uke
    Epiphone Les Paul Ukulele * Republic Concert * Fluke Tenor M22 * Kala KA-KTG-CT Cedar Top
    Cordoba 20TM * 1950's Harmony soprano *1920's era Stella banjo uke
    guitars and a 5-string banjo

Am I done?

...naw...

My YouTube Channel

Hey Kurt, thanks much for the welcome, and it is wonderful to hear from you. At the moment I am building whatever strikes my fancy. Just finished a concert with some Maccaferri/Selmer concepts; bent top, tailpiece etc., fits right in with my arch top work.
    Bradford

How thick does the back have to be? I have a black walnut top that's a hair over 1/2" I was going to use on a tenor Les Paul semi-hollow. Will it work for the back?
    Victor Jones
    Blue Frog Ukuleles

Bellevue, KY
    bluefrogvic@gmail.com
    http://bluefrogukes.weebly.com/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by Diogenes Blue View Post
    How thick does the back have to be? I have a black walnut top that's a hair over 1/2" I was going to use on a tenor Les Paul semi-hollow. Will it work for the back?
    No reason why not.

Nominally my plans call for 5/8” thick, but you could probably make do with as little as 3/8”, especially if you are talking about a flat board. Bookmatched wedges need to be a bit thicker as you will knock off some of the thickness shaping things.

Brad

Thread Information