singing tips?

I am actually do teach singing. I'm a music teacher and singing is one of the subjects I teach. I will say this: some people are born with naturally gifted voices and brilliant insight and never need a lesson. Others are pretty good naturally but they are weak in some areas and are not happy with how they sound: they could sound better with proper training. Then, there are others that need a lot of help. I'm being pretty general, I know but I want to keep this reply brief.

Of course, singing lessons are great, if you have the money and time to put into it. But, even without lessons, there are ways you can improve. I think it's important to try not to do too much at once. Recording yourself singing is a good idea. Listen to your voice and identify what about it appeals to you and what about it doesn't.

You said staying in key was a problem. One thing I can suggest is to sing very simple songs, like children songs, and play the melody on the uke (or another instrument). Sing along with the melody you are playing and match it carefully. Slow down the song if that helps. Be fussy, stay on pitch. Record yourself too. When you can do this well, then play only reference notes. Play the first note of a phrase and sing the whole phrase and test the last note of the phrase by playing your uke. Are you still on pitch? If not, work it again. After you can sing phrases on pitch, then start to accompany yourself with chords and sing the song, try to stay on pitch.

I've trained people who could not sing a single note on pitch to become reasonable singers. There are more intense pitch and ear training methods available but that's beyond the scope of a forum reply.

One more note, judgements about pitch can be very subjective. Many people that sound fine in the context of an amateur open mic would sound pitchy when subjected to the scrutiny of a professional studio. Be nice to yourself and set appropriate standards.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Healthy and harmful foods for singers: it is not advisable for singers to consume any food that comes their way. The reason for this is that certain ingredients in food can be of harm to the voice acting just as fast as fuel would ignite inside an engine. To begin with, a singer who consumes fatty foods, chocolates or citrus foods prior to a performance is courting disaster
This is because the performer has to be light prior to any show and the foods mentioned above can be considered as heavy. In addition to this, the foods also hamper vibration by causing mucous secretion around the vocal cords. Extreme accumulation of phlegm is a consequence of the consumption of these foods and this will result in the clogging of the throat. Eventually, performers who are in this state will be forced to keep clearing their throat.

Healthy and harmful foods for singers: it is not advisable for singers to consume any food that comes their way. The reason for this is that certain ingredients in food can be of harm to the voice acting just as fast as fuel would ignite inside an engine. To begin with, a singer who consumes fatty foods, chocolates or citrus foods prior to a performance is courting disaster

Hi Alexrock23,

I agree that some types of food and drink can affect one's voice. However, I feel that this issue has been blown somewhat out of proportion; it's a little extreme to say that, if you eat chocolate/fatty foods/citrus before singing, you're courting disaster.
My experience has been that some foods will cause more phlegm to form, particularly milk and maybe oj. Phlegm, however, isn't always bad. In fact, sometimes I am more comfortable with the extra moisture/lubrication that I get from a bit of phlegm.
I guess my point is that each of us needs to learn their own voice. Different foods/drinks will help our voices when they are in different conditions.
Another example from myself: when I was taking morning voice lessons at University, I would often drink a double-double (that's Canadian parlance for coffee with two creams and two sugars) just before or even during my lesson. I found that this was a great help to my singing during my lesson. Drinking a coffee and trying to singing in the evenings for me is a non-starter and makes my singing more difficult.

My feeling is that we should each learn what foods/drinks do to our voices. But i will acknowledge that some foods tend to create phlegm for some singers.

that's my two cents,
j

Hi Alexrock23,

I agree that some types of food and drink can affect one's voice. However, I feel that this issue has been blown somewhat out of proportion; it's a little extreme to say that, if you eat chocolate/fatty foods/citrus before singing, you're courting disaster.
My experience has been that some foods will cause more phlegm to form, particularly milk and maybe oj. Phlegm, however, isn't always bad. In fact, sometimes I am more comfortable with the extra moisture/lubrication that I get from a bit of phlegm.
I guess my point is that each of us needs to learn their own voice. Different foods/drinks will help our voices when they are in different conditions.
Another example from myself: when I was taking morning voice lessons at University, I would often drink a double-double (that's Canadian parlance for coffee with two creams and two sugars) just before or even during my lesson. I found that this was a great help to my singing during my lesson. Drinking a coffee and trying to singing in the evenings for me is a non-starter and makes my singing more difficult.

My feeling is that we should each learn what foods/drinks do to our voices. But i will acknowledge that some foods tend to create phlegm for some singers.

that's my two cents,
j

As I said before, I teach singing. I agree with Jamie. It's good to find out the scientific facts regarding food and phlegm formation. But, there are a lot of other factors involved. The only universal constant I can say is that to make sure you've had enough water. Being thirsty is never good for singing. Usually, I'd avoid coffee before a performance but for my morning gigs, coffee is an absolute necessity. I try to have some about an hour before I have to perform though and then have some water afterwards, oh then go pee. Anyways, it's good to take notes about what affects you and how and under what conditions.

One last thought though. Keep things in perspective. If you do occasional recreational singing, you don't have to be nearly as stringent as someone that performs regular two hour sets. For my students, I try to give them standards that are appropriate to their goals and skill levels. One good source of information is to observe singers that are just a little ahead of where you are and see what they do. But, you always have to individualize and adapt to yourself.

Cheers everyone,

Ronin.

well most of the things that help were already said:
practicing
recording myself
and play the music in my head

singing is hard, even I still have a hard time, but just don't give up n have fun while doing :D

Hi from Jen in Oz.
I was a private singing teacher for 15 years - I heard a lot of different voices in that time, & I encountered & worked with all kinds of problems that people face when they want to improve their singing voice. There is too much to tell in one post here.
As has been said - some folks are naturals & never need a lesson in their lives. Most are not. The vast majority of people can improve their voices greatly, & resolve difficulties. It depends on how much you want the outcome. An ordinary voice can become beautiful, captivating & expressive. It takes time and ... practice. It's been said here I'm sure - the voice is a Musical Instrument ... and like any musical instrument it takes time to develop the skills.
In some ways the voice is like a Wind Instrument, it works with the all-important Breath - & the passage of air through an aperture, & we use different Vowel sounds to give the shape of the sound. It is like a Stringed Instrument - it has the Vocal Cords that are like strings. It is like a Percussion Instrument in that we use the parts of the language called Consonants that do the job of the percussion. And so on!
As with any other instrument, in order to learn it we need to be come extremely familiar with it, & come to understand the various parts that feed into it - the work of the breathing muscles, the ribcage, skull, jaws, tongue, nose, cheeks, lips, palates, throat, whole body etc. The significance of posture. And the whole world of psychology that feeds into it, the nervous system, our feelings, stress, fatigue etc
So, if you haven't found a teacher, my first recommendation would be to create a Cd or a playlist of songs that you know & love, songs you are so familiar with over years, songs you relax & feel at home with. Make that A Personal Singing Practice - sing along with the CD - daily. Start more softly and gently, let your voice warm up and progressively build the volume. One way a voice improves is from regular exercise, so exercise the components of the voice. But do so ... mindfully, try to notice the contribution of the various parts of your body - jaws, tongue etc. And as the previous post said - have ... FUN :)
One last thing - I share this link - it's really lovely, but it also illustrates the point - that there is not just one way to be a fabulous singer, not just one way to move people with your voice. Watch the video and appreciate how a voice is unique to the person, and each person is unique. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rQ5eZj5Pec&feature=player_embedded#!
Each person on this planet has a wealth of inner beauty to share - it's just a matter of gradually finding and believing in yourself and then sharing it for the enrichment of all.
Peace and Blessings to You ... Aloha :)

Hi from Jen in Oz.
I was a private singing teacher for 15 years - I heard a lot of different voices in that time, & I encountered & worked with all kinds of problems that people face when they want to improve their singing voice. There is too much to tell in one post here.
As has been said - some folks are naturals & never need a lesson in their lives. Most are not. The vast majority of people can improve their voices greatly, & resolve difficulties. It depends on how much you want the outcome. An ordinary voice can become beautiful, captivating & expressive. It takes time and ... practice. It's been said here I'm sure - the voice is a Musical Instrument ... and like any musical instrument it takes time to develop the skills.
In some ways the voice is like a Wind Instrument, it works with the all-important Breath - & the passage of air through an aperture, & we use different Vowel sounds to give the shape of the sound. It is like a Stringed Instrument - it has the Vocal Cords that are like strings. It is like a Percussion Instrument in that we use the parts of the language called Consonants that do the job of the percussion. And so on!
As with any other instrument, in order to learn it we need to be come extremely familiar with it, & come to understand the various parts that feed into it - the work of the breathing muscles, the ribcage, skull, jaws, tongue, nose, cheeks, lips, palates, throat, whole body etc. The significance of posture. And the whole world of psychology that feeds into it, the nervous system, our feelings, stress, fatigue etc
So, if you haven't found a teacher, my first recommendation would be to create a Cd or a playlist of songs that you know & love, songs you are so familiar with over years, songs you relax & feel at home with. Make that A Personal Singing Practice - sing along with the CD - daily. Start more softly and gently, let your voice warm up and progressively build the volume. One way a voice improves is from regular exercise, so exercise the components of the voice. But do so ... mindfully, try to notice the contribution of the various parts of your body - jaws, tongue etc. And as the previous post said - have ... FUN :)
One last thing - I share this link - it's really lovely, but it also illustrates the point - that there is not just one way to be a fabulous singer, not just one way to move people with your voice. Watch the video and appreciate how a voice is unique to the person, and each person is unique. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rQ5eZj5Pec&feature=player_embedded#!
Each person on this planet has a wealth of inner beauty to share - it's just a matter of gradually finding and believing in yourself and then sharing it for the enrichment of all.
Peace and Blessings to You ... Aloha :)

Very well said, Jen. As a fellow teacher, I am in complete agreement with you. It's funny but I found it surprisingly difficult to condense what I do with my students. It's much easier if the person is actually in the room with me and I can go over specific things relevant to that person. I could write an essay about singing but I don't know if that would serve the purpose here. I like your breakdown.

Very well said, Jen. As a fellow teacher, I am in complete agreement with you. It's funny but I found it surprisingly difficult to condense what I do with my students. It's much easier if the person is actually in the room with me and I can go over specific things relevant to that person. I could write an essay about singing but I don't know if that would serve the purpose here. I like your breakdown.

You and me both could write that essay about singing - it is an incredible and complex thing really! Singing is such a joy, singing with friends is wonderful, singing harmonies - delicious :)
PS so excited ... Will and Rob taught me a few UU tips earlier. So proud, I can now use "Reply With Quote" !

oops, reply with 2 quotes ... hahaha!
I'll get a handle on this thing eventually, I'm just a UU newbie :)

oops, reply with 2 quotes ... hahaha!
I'll get a handle on this thing eventually, I'm just a UU newbie :)

Ha ha Jen. I'm sure you'll be a pro in no time!! So glad you're participating in these forums. You're enthusiasm and love for music is infectious and inspiring!!

Starting to sing in the correct key is easy ...
Which brings up another point about "correct keys".

Most of us have a natural vocal range which is relatively limited. Minnie Ripperton could hit five octaves or whatever, but I sure can't. So make sure you're playing in a key that's within your limits, even if that means changing the chords around to a different key.

Last edited:
Another recommendation - whether you are an established singer or not, it is wise to put practice into the vocal side of things separate to the instrumental. Make it easier on all aspects of yourself by simplifying the demands. Teach the voice the path of the song - discover the easy bits and the hard bits, figure out strategies, mark in on the page any tips, like 'BIG breath here'. In classical singing, the symbol V indicates 'breathe here' - it's handy. To put in serious vocal practice time - if that is what you are wanting to do - then it's worth sorting things out using your brain. Learning the vocal, learning the accompanying instrument, then put the two together - you will be rewarded because you have a deeper understanding of what is required from each aspect, and your body can relax rather than tense up. Hope that helps.

Like Rome, a voice wasn't built in a day. It takes time, patience, practice. It is important to remember to ... PACE yourself. If you practice too hard, too much, or in a way that is not ideal, the instrument rebels. It's happened to me many times along the vocal road. Worst case when I was teaching too much, my voice got overuse. Took some healing, time out, de-stressing, yoga, Feldenkrais technique, etc. to restore it. Thankfully no long term damage. A life lesson :)

Agreed keep practicing. Sometimes you have to act "over confident" to gain enough courage to sing in front of people. What I do to practice, is record myself singing. I then pick out things that I don't like about my voice or performance, maybe some out of tune notes in a song, bad rhythms, poorly articulated words and practice those parts in particular. If my voice is too "nasally" then I try to sing from my chest/stomach where I belt it out a little more. If I am forcing it too much, I May try my head voice or falsetto, (a lighter sound from your head or throat). I keep recording these different "experiments" until I hear something that sounds to my liking. It is quite a process but it helps you gain confidence and does improve the sound of your voice.

Best tips for singing tips is when you sing any song than record it. And after you just listen it. You can notice which type you sing a song in public place, try to read it back again and again, you can notice where you missed and where you hit.

Many people lack confidence in their voice, so they sing quietly. According to me the best singing tips are Don't forget the lyrics, Pick a song you can sing, Listen more talk less, Focus on self improvement not competition and so on.

If you really want to learn that what is singing actually then go to east.There you may find the families who are serving in music from the generations.You must go if you really want to know that what is singing.

And if you ever want to learn what walking really is you've gotta go west..... Sorry Adamson, but i don't get your intention.
Singing is like every other natural thing not owned or mastered by only one culture,region or clan.
If you were talking about a special singing style.... okay. But not singing in general.

Top Bottom