Driving Under The Influence (of a uke)

ukecantdothat

Reaction score
A recent thread about how we treat our ukes led to this off-topic exchange. Forgive me if y'all been down this road before:

Originally Posted by ukecantdothat:
That's right. My ukes don't get a chance to be in a case very often. I keep 'em out where I can get my filthy hands on 'em! I don't keep 'em holed up in a basement (unless they've done something wrong). And I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who keeps one out while they're stuck in traffic. I live in L.A., so there's plenty of practice time to be wasted on the 101. Sometimes I get dirty looks, sometimes an extended thumb and pinky, but only when I'm at a stand-still. It's too hard to steer with my knee... Not that I ever tried...

EleUke's Reply:
Victoria Vox practices while she drives....

My Reply:
While she drives??? Now that's what I call multi-tasking! Here in Cali, it's illegal to hold your phone to your ear while driving. Just ask the Governator's wife. I hope Victoria isn't also texting, putting on make up, changing the radio station, and hoagin' a breakfast burrito while she's practicing her claw hammer.

playing while driving and playing while stuck in traffic are different things. Nobody's suggesting you strum at 65, but when you're at a standstill in traffic, go nuts.

Victoria Vox aint got nothing on this guy.....

(many people got mad at me for this video...)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1_g10cWJEg

To tell you the truth...I didn't think it was that big of deal.
Yeah, I could do that too if I had someone steering for me. If I flew an airliner, I'd put 'er into auto pilot and start jammin' away, but since my auto's pilot is me, I don't try stuff that... um... stupid, even on a deserted country road with no bends. Especially to play that song! Maybe "Knockin' On Heaven's Door" or "When I Die..." Any other suggestions? How 'bout "I'm A Loser?"

shoot, about a month ago I was driving down the road and taped myself playing on my cell phone...stuck the phone in the cupholder. Sound quality was terrible, so I erased it. I'm ashamed to say, but I do it all the time...well, more than I should

shoot, about a month ago I was driving down the road and taped myself playing on my cell phone...stuck the phone in the cupholder. Sound quality was terrible, so I erased it. I'm ashamed to say, but I do it all the time...well, more than I should
That's what I was afraid of. See? The little guy is just too portable! Fits right in your lap - maybe back the seat up a little and yer good to go, right? Especially in an automatic! Put the car in drive, tune up yer Flea and off y'go! Hey Amish Gangta and the resta ya's! KNOCK IT OFF!!! Wait for the red light, for Bob's sake! Be careful out there.

OK, now I sound like my muddah...

Now see, I knew those travel ukes were dangerous but I couldn't put my finger on it!:biglaugh: Oh no! I ordered a sopranino and it should be here in a few days.

... stupid, even on a deserted country road with no bends. Especially to play that song! Maybe "Knockin' On Heaven's Door" or "When I Die..." Any other suggestions? How 'bout "I'm A Loser?"

Yeah, like the driver's head.

That's what I was afraid of. See? The little guy is just too portable! Fits right in your lap - maybe back the seat up a little and yer good to go, right? Especially in an automatic! Put the car in drive, tune up yer Flea and off y'go! Hey Amish Gangta and the resta ya's! KNOCK IT OFF!!! Wait for the red light, for Bob's sake! Be careful out there.

OK, now I sound like my muddah...

So was the purpose of you starting this thread to scold and insult people who uke and drive?

So was the purpose of you starting this thread to scold and insult people who uke and drive?
Nah. I'm just messin' witcha. Knock yourselves out... Wait... Let me rephrase that. Really, I ain't no preacher. Lord knows I ain't no preacher!!! It's just a good thing y'all don't play an upright bass is all I'm sayin'. See? I'm justa smart ass... Lord knows I'm just a smart ass.

True Confessions...

Have I tried this? Yes.
Do I still do it? No...driving in California is rough enough. :p

Also, the fact that Victoria Vox wrote, "Bird Song," on the Five freeway is really inspiring to me. She is really, really talented (as a uke player, and a driver, lol).

True Confessions...

Have I tried this? Yes.
Do I still do it? No...driving in California is rough enough. :p

Also, the fact that Victoria Vox wrote, "Bird Song," on the Five freeway is really inspiring to me. She is really, really talented (as a uke player, and a driver, lol).
Yes, I watched that Victoria Vox vid, and I agree she's quite good! I especially liked the faux trumpet scat - very tasty. But seriously folks, and all apologies to Deach if I offended with my goofiness, but I meant it when I said the world needs more ukers, particularly of Victoria's caliber. I mean, how sad would it be to hear on the evening news... Ah, I can't even type it... Like I said, I almost ALWAYS commute with an open uke on the front seat, but I don't steer with my knee just to get some playing time in, and if you're insulted by me calling that "stupid," then that's one of those "if the shoe fits" moments. Scolding, yes. Insulting? That's your call, I don't mean it be insulting. Last week, I'm on a surface street and "Oye Coma Va" comes on. I didn't grab my axe and start jammin' with Carlos. I pulled over, cranked it up, and wailed (if I do say so myself) and nobody got hurt.

(BTW: Am7 / D7... 2 chords and a beat sent down from above! As a matter of fact, I'm going to rack it up right now, so if you'll excuse me...)

Last edited:
Any other suggestions? How 'bout "I'm A Loser?"

Yeah, like the driver's head.

Yes, I watched that Victoria Vox vid, and I agree she's quite good! I especially liked the faux trumpet scat - very tasty.

So I am and airheaded loser, and V.Vox is quite good and very tasty....hmmmm....

Now I know I am no where near V.Vox's skill level or nearly as pretty...but does that make me more stupid? Interesting. And how could I possibly take the above quotes as insulting??????

you didnt offend me...it doesnt take a genius to figure out it's unsafe and pretty dumb. It's easy to get offended at the truth, but really we should just acknowledge, accept and embrace it.

its dangerous. <---period

I wont uke & drive anymore...more than that, I need to stop texting. That's a frigen killer. If I get hurt or killed doing something stupid, I kinda deserve what I get, but God forbid I hit another car and hurt or kill someone else. I'm not the only one with a family and I need to be mindful of how my actions may dramatically effect others.

"Gotta make that change, today...man in the mirror" - Michael Jackson

by the way...I am a preacher, but not always a good one.

mahalo

So I am and airheaded loser, and V.Vox is quite good and very tasty....hmmmm....

Now I know I am no where near V.Vox's skill level or nearly as pretty...but does that make me more stupid? Interesting. And how could I possibly take the above quotes as insulting??????
Now, now, I didn't call anyone an "airhead" (not yet, anyway), I'm saving that one for the deserving, not you. Sorry about the "loser" reference, that was over the top, and I do apologise. That was a lame attempt at humor and I am truly sorry. Things look worse in print. And I am a big, BIG fan of Canned Heat. Your rendition was awesome (at any speed). My point is that this sort of thing, driving with your knee while playing the uke, isn't exactly what you'd call in the fast reading group. That I won't apologise for, and you can't possibly defend it. I have family in rural Texas where it isn't unusual to see someone driving with a cooler of bud on the passenger seat, so playing a uke isn't the dumbest move I've ever seen, but come on, now. (Great. Now you just made me offend rural Texans...) And, I'm opposed to the "hands free" cellphone law here, too, BTW. Next thing you know it'll be a "no eating in your car" law. Then a "no loud music" law. Think I'm kidding? That's what they're considering in California. Don't let 'em make a "no ukes in the car" law. "Excuse me sir. Is that an open soprano case I see there? Please step out of the vehicle, sir..." So let's all just take a deep breath and chill for a second.

And again - I didn't say "airhead," you did. Let's be fair here. You have great taste in music (Ms Vox ain't got nothin' on you). Don't waste it for the sake of a youtube bit! The world needs more ukers like you. Rock on!!!

Last edited:
Top Bottom