MGM appreciation thread.

okay guys and gals....thanks but stop already. i am just an ordinary guy trying to do the best i can. i still get dressed one leg at a time.. fmake mistakes every day ...yell at my workers....bitch at my computor and get frustrated when a string buzzes and wish i had more time to play with my dog Sumo...

Okay, enough already.

MGM is a PITA!

He constantly bugs you on the phone, "When is it going to get done!?!!??" Then when he's done with you, he calls the next guy, or just shows up to see what you have in the shop.

He calls you today and says, "I need a pickup installed, by tomorrow because I told the guy it already shipped (no, he doesn't really, tell the guy that)." But, he does call for emergency pickup installations - seems all of them are emergencies.

And after you're done doing artwork on an `ukulele, he says, "Okay, since you did that, why don't we (like how he says "we") put this or that on as well (once you're already done)."

The one that confuses me is when you set up the instrument for him with a certain set of strings, he then realizes, "Oh, by the way, you KNOW I want Savarez installed right?" But nobody knows (by the posts on this thread) that Savarez is one of his favorite strings, SO, then a special order has to be put in because the strings are not available here. And, since he needed the instrument yesterday, even though the strings aren't coming in until tomorrow, which he knows, he keeps calling you, "Came in yet? Came in yet?"
Then, of course, you have to recut a nut, and redo the saddle (maybe).

Oh, and lets not forget the calls that deal with technology - "Hey! How come I can't print on Click-N-Ship?" Although you respond with, "I told you to use Endicia," he says, "Yeah, I know. No more time. Too much shipping to do."

There is the dark side of MGM, the side he puts us through, just to satisfy his customers. Which, invariably, become all of our customers as well. This is why he has "standing orders" with dealers, and some builders.

But through it all, he does find a way to pick up the instrument from your shop, and say, "I'm hungry. C'mon, grab your kids. Let's go eat."

You can take a guess where.

-Aaron

I had my first bad experience with MGM. I bought the Koa Piki Koko concert uke from him. It had a bad fret - or something - that made an obvious buzz/thump sound. Sent it back. When i got it back it had the same -exact same - problem. :(

MGM's the best. I wont' buy a uke from any other dealer. But he dropped the ball on this one.

I know he'll make good on it though. That's the kind of guy he is!

My Kala aqua tenor showed up today, beautifully setup (do I have Kekani to thank for that?) and infinately playable, but with that pesky wound C string when I asked for all unwounds.

Not exactly the end of the world, I just need to put an unwound C on it, but if nothing else, it just reinforces my preference for unwound strings. ;)

I'm eagerly awaiting the arrival of my new koa pili koko tenor from MGM. He was a pleasure to do business with and I'm very happy with how fast he got it out the door. Now I'm just waiting on the boys in brown to bring it.

wow I bought my first good uke from MGM and man I got to tell ya. He is da shitt!!

in a good way!

ill never buy from anyone else!

you rule!

:worship:MGM:worship:

MGM is truly a great guy! I'm hoping, the next time my wife and I are on Oahu, he'll show us to the legendary, "Zippy's!"

BTW, he's one of the few that's seen all of my tattoos!

Well almost all waiting to see the ukulele one..I only saw the drawing of the latest..Hows it healing up?

yayy i finally bought a uke (my first soprano, made by keli'i because i figured that's as close to natural ukulele that i can get!) from mgm tonight and i can't wait to get my hands on it!! and it makes me even more excited to see that you actually post on this forum! thanks for having such a fantastic selection and being so accessible!!

Tat

Well almost all waiting to see the ukulele one..I only saw the drawing of the latest..Hows it healing up?

It's healing, but needs another week or so to become fully healed. I'll post a pic as soon as possible.

Aloha!

Healing

I wouldn't mind seeing it either after the "it looks like crap" stage has passed. :)

Each of my tats has had its own birthing-like process. This one didn't start itching until 1 1/2 weeks after its birth. They typically don't take this long to begin itching. Looks like it'll be completely healed around June 6th.

Yeah I guess it depends on how the skin is in that area and how much it was worked, and perhaps how much hair has to grow back. My leg tattoo itched nonstop from day 4 or so until it was done. It peeled in 7 days, but healed in 14. My arm tattoo? A slight tingle, but then it still needed touch up, and needs one more. Who'd a thunk I was allergic to the graywash pigment he used the first time. Nothing bad happened from it, my skin just said "here, let me push that out for you."

Of course, I could barely lift my arm during that time, but I'll take that over itching. :D

For me, it's kinda like treating a sunburn, but you want this sunburn to look fantabulous when done. :rock:

I got my wonderful Koa pili koko tenor today from MGM, it's wondertastic and the bonus chord chart he threw in is absolutely fabulous for a super noob like me. Thanks Mike, when I get better (at playing I mean) I'll be looking for a concert uke to round out the triforce.

Top Bottom