what is truly the best ukulele?

shores&hammocks

Reaction score
okay, this question isn't to see your opinons (well, it is), but i'm really confused!

so before today, i have never played a k brand ukulele (kamaka, kanilea, koaloha, the sort) so i went to a local ukulele store and got my hands on a kanilea.

you see, i have a beginner's lanikai 21 tenor, and it's fine, but it sounds like a toy now. but when i played the 700 dollar kanilea, it didn't sound significantly better. ?? seriously, it may have had a 15 percent more volume but not much sustain..

now the confusing part is, i went to guitar center and played a concert cordoba ukulele. cordoba makes classical spanish guitars (?). and man, that cordoba just melted me. you see, the cordoba's sound seemed to melt into one beautiful harmony. the kanilea sounded good, but it was like individual strings sounding off, instead of the cordoba, where it sounded one and united.

i'm really confused, cause' i thought the k brands were the top dog.

oh btw, they didn't have a kamaka at the store, so i'll be waiting about a week or so when the shipment of kamakas come in.

are kamakas still good? i'm really nervous about playing them, cause' after listening to the kanilea, i don't know what to expect.

The best ukulele is the ukulele that you think you'll play all the time. That's the bottom line. Doesn't matter what brand it is or how much it is. The point is if you play well enough, no one's gonna look at what ukulele you're playing.

You really have to go by what you hear in person. I found the each uke is different, and I have played many "K" brand ukes, and walked away unimpressed. It is kind of hit or miss. Eventually, I found a Kanile'a that had the magic sparkle sound I was hoping for, and I bought it. At the same dealer, I player a number of other Kanile'a, different sizes, and by far, even though this was a super concert, compared to the tenor they had, it was far superior. The KoAlohas seem to be pretty consistent though. But I would probably have to have some hands on time with any high priced uke before I bought it. Don't buy on reputation alone, if you can help it.

–Lori

Last edited:
The best ukulele is the ukulele that you think you'll play all the time. That's the bottom line.

Yep. And which one is "the best" will probably change over time. I actually haven't taken my Mainland out of the case in four or five days. For some reason the Makala is just doing it for me this week.

Doesn't matter what brand it is or how much it is. The point is if you play well enough, no one's gonna look at what ukulele you're playing.

:agree: Or they may look at it and say "whoa, that guy's making that $40 Makala sound awfully good!"

--Mark

Personally, I think the best Ukes are solid wood and aged...I have an 8+ year old Koa soprano that, when I play, sounds AMAZING. To hear that little Soprano emit such magnificent sounds astonishes me. But that's just me.

And in my own experience, Lanikai's are good Ukes, my uncle has the same one that you have - but when I play that and then I grab my soprano and play that...I personally can not only HEAR a significant difference but also FEEL a significant difference - the fact that his Uke is laminate and mine is solid really produces a different sound to me. The last time I played a Cordoba, it was okay to me...it sounded rather "dry", if I may use that term. The wood felt weird to me as well, but then again...we're all different and have different opinions.

I know many claim they have the best wife on Earth but I know that's impossible because she's married to me. ;) I own one K brand 'ukulele a Kamaka pineapple but all and all I pick up and play my Flea the most often. If I ate the best tasting pizza every day I'd tire of pizza. Variety is the spice of life.
Am I making any sense? :confused:;)

This is kind of reminding me of that post that MGM made where he played all those ukes and dared us all to tell the difference by sound alone...

If it sounds great to you and you love playing it, then that's the best uke.

It's like everything else, what is the best car? What is the best food?
ask those questions and get many different answers...

I admit that my Lanikai does not sound as great as I remember it sounding when it was my only ukulele. My wife does not like the sound of my Lanikai much anymore either. I am going to swap out the Aquilas for D'Addarios and see what happens though.

I love the way my Pono sounds, and so does my wife, but others on this board say they are not impressed with Pono ukuleles.

So here's your answer:

IT DEPENDS!:biglaugh:

The best ukulele is the ukulele that you think you'll play all the time. That's the bottom line. Doesn't matter what brand it is or how much it is. The point is if you play well enough, no one's gonna look at what ukulele you're playing.
Couldn't have said it better. :)

What's the best "anything" depends on your own tastes. My husband insists I buy only Best Foods mayo. Some might prefer another brand or even Miracle Whip.

I think it really takes a trained and experienced sound professional to describe certain quality of an instrument objectively.

If I ate the best tasting pizza every day I'd tire of pizza. Variety is the spice of life.

I hope you're still not talking about your marriage here. :eek:

the kanilea sounded good, but it was like individual strings sounding off, instead of the cordoba, where it sounded one and united.

This is just an opinion, but it seems to me like the Kanilea has more clarity. As always though, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, one man's trash is another man's treasure, to each his own, whatever floats your boat, different strokes for different folks, and any other idioms about person preferences.

I can relate to what you are saying. I went and played several of the K brands one afternoon when I had the money to buy something. I thought my mind should be blown from everything I read online, but I found most of the K ukes I tried to be kind of average sounding at best. Then I picked up my particular Koaloha and it just sang out to me. It seriously sounded drastically better than the other three in the shop to me, so I took that one home.

Find the one that makes your heart sing, that is the best uke!

The idea of individual strings competing with one-another is not foreign to me. I understand what you are "hearing" with that description. One thing that makes a difference to me is that some ukuleles are "harsh" sounding to my ears. Then, there are other ukuleles that have a sweetness or tone that I just love.

I have a bunch of solid-wood, solid-topped, and laminated ukes sitting around. I am constantly "testing" ukes for Ukulele Player Magazine. What just happened this week is that I opened a package from Kala Ukes and pulled out the solid Acacia Slotted headstock tenor. When I started playing it, my wife piped up and said that it is the "best sounding ukulele I have ever heard". It did really sound wonderful.

Since I publish Ukulele Player Magazine, I have had my hands on lots of custom-made and production ukes at every price-level. Some ukes are LOUD but don't necessarily sound smooth and sweet to me. Others sound silky and smooth as honey. I have a one-of-a-kind Oscar Schmidt OU7 tenor here that is an experimental ukulele that we will be giving away and it is one of the sweetest sounding ukuleles I have ever heard (strung with D'Addarios).

Lori gave good advice when she said to play a uke before you buy it, if possible. You can also trust a few people in the business to give you an honest appraisal, like MGM. MusicGuyMic has a lot of ukulele sound clips online so that you can "hear" a uke before you make that investment. Talk with Mike and he will give you good advice and your uke will be setup perfectly before they ship it.

Personally, I just like instruments with a certain "mojo." The mojo doesn't have to come from being vintage, but it just has to feel, look, and sound good to ME. It's sort of a personal decision.

But I find that it is hard to go wrong with any of the K brands. My Kanilea tenor, KoAloha superconcert, and Kamaka concert are my favorite ukes. But I also LOVE my Fluke...I just dig the design, feel, and sound of that weird little triangular instrument.

ukes seem to me to vary widely in character and that makes a difference as to what a person's opinion will be.

I recently got a Kanilea and I think it's probably the best instrument for expressiveness and versatility, but seems to have less character than some others. Just a little cold. But that makes if fit in fairly well everywhere. Koahloha ranks #1 for distinctive character but lower in certain playing characteristics. I have so far made one recording with a uke accompanying other stuff and I went with the Pono take over all the others, it gave me a very even strumming and very sweet sound.

You really have to go by what you hear in person. I found the each uke is different, and I have played many "K" brand ukes, and walked away unimpressed. It is kind of hit or miss. Eventually, I found a Kanile'a that had the magic sparkle sound I was hoping for, and I bought it. At the same dealer, I player a number of other Kanile'a, different sizes, and by far, even though this was a super concert, compared to the tenor they had, it was far superior. The KoAlohas seem to be pretty consistent though. But I would probably have to have some hands on time with any high priced uke before I bought it. Don't buy on reputation alone, if you can help it.

–Lori

. . . really a good argument for NOT buying instruments over the internet. I know, for some folks it's hard to find places to try instruments, but even with a good return policy those return shipping charges can add up.

Interestingly, the more prestigious solid wooden ukes seem to vary more than the mid-range factory built instruments. I would happily buy an Ohana, Mainland, Kala, etc. on-line, but if I were in the market for a KoAloha, a Kamaka, or a Kanile'a, I would like to try the uke first, before parting with my cash. There is more at stake, of course, cash-wise.

Ukantor.

I've read it here that it isn't the decal or engraving on the headstock that make the ukulele it is the player. I own 2 koalohas (one is a sceptre), a pono mango 8 string, a mele solid koa double puka, a kala soprano, and 3 makala dolphins. I think my sceptre sounds the best but all of them sound great to me. even the makalas. I also know that if someone like DeG, specialmike, Captn lovehandles, etc, etc, etc (basically anyone better than me) were to play my ukes they would sound better than when I play them. I have played many "K" brands and I have yet to find one that sounds so much better than others. Some did sound better but was that just my personal preference?????

i had the problem of not being able to try my uke before i bought it, but i kept saying to myself u cant go wrong with a k brand, and i was right, my kanilea saprises me each day, i dont believe your lanakai sounded the same, but the way each individual hears things is different, people say every instrament MGM plays sounds the same also......

since sounding is very subjective, everyone is right.
but i truly think deached ukes are da best. :D

Top Bottom