massachusetts ukulele store

Pukulele Pete

Reaction score
does anyone know of a music store in Mass that has a big selection of ukes?
Most stores I've been to might have one uke, thats about it.

there aren't really, sadly.

i've fantasized that if i had the money, i'd open a uke only store in the boston area.

the best we have is music emporium in lexington.

http://www.themusicemporium.com/ukuleles.html

they are mainly high end acoustic guitars, banjos and mandolins, but they have a pretty good uke section.

they used to only carry ponos and fleas, but recently they've expanded into custom builder land and have some moore bettah ukes and some others....
not cheap though...

they also have an excellent luthier who knows his way around a uke, btw....

anyway, that's the best we have unless someone know better.......

The Music Emporium is neat shop, and it's worth visiting because it's a real instrument store. From what I remember... They carry a wide variety of instrument types. While they may not have a huge selection of makes for each instrument, they usually have some good lines aimed at different price points. Their staff knows their way around instruments and they are musicians.

What I mean is that if you want an introductory instrument you may only have one or two choices in brands, but what they have selected to carry will be a good quality instrument for that price range, and it will last. Same for middle and upper ranges.

They also have a classroom facility associated with them (I used to take bluegrass banjo lessons there). It would be interesting to see if anyone offers uke lessons.

I've been to the Music Emporium, it is the best guitar store I've seen. I bought my 1964 Gibson L4-c from them many years ago ( 20?) they were on Mass Ave. Cambridge then. Last time I went there they had a few ukes, a flea , a fluke, Pono ( which sounded great ) but I think that was about it. They had the most fantastic collection of guitars I have ever seen. Maybe I'll take a ride there today and see what they have. My wife says I already have too many guitars and ukes but maybe I can sneek one in. Every uke I have I had to buy without hearing it first. I bought them after reading reviews , thats the only way there is to do it around here I guess. I guess I will have to go to Hawaii some day.

Last edited:
Union Music in Worcester, MA carries a selection of ukes.
Kurlan Music in Worcester carries a full line of Lanikai ukes.

does anyone know of a music store in Mass that has a big selection of ukes?
Most stores I've been to might have one uke, thats about it.

The Music Emporium is an excellent shop. Most of their stuff is pretty high end, like Moore Bettah and Collings, but their staff are really knowledgeable. When I visited whilst seeing my sister I spoke with them for 30 minutes about all things uke. I wouldn't hesitate in buying from them.

Top Bottom