String reviews

UkeNinja

Reaction score
The uke review section is great (if some of you lucky b******s will please finally upload some Koaloha tenor reviews), and I would like to suggest a review section in some form for the other big soudn factor: strings.

There is a lot of discussion about what strings, what uke, etc. I think it would be a valuable asset to have that info concentrated in one place. Actually, the same questions keep coming up over and over and people post the same answers time and again.

It could be something like:
- string brand and model
- ukulele you used it on
- description of the sound
- description of the "feel" (tension, smoothness)
- sound compared to... (other strings, same string other uke)
- ukes it didn't work on

Just my $0.02 and a shuriken throwing star...

There are other items that would be nice to see reviews on as well, such as tuners, pickups, etc. Perhaps an 'accessories' review section to encompass all of the non-uke items?

The uke review section is great (if some of you lucky b******s will please finally upload some Koaloha tenor reviews), and I would like to suggest a review section in some form for the other big soudn factor: strings.

There is a lot of discussion about what strings, what uke, etc. I think it would be a valuable asset to have that info concentrated in one place. Actually, the same questions keep coming up over and over and people post the same answers time and again.

It could be something like:
- string brand and model
- ukulele you used it on
- description of the sound
- description of the "feel" (tension, smoothness)
- sound compared to... (other strings, same string other uke)
- ukes it didn't work on

Just my $0.02 and a shuriken throwing star...

I had a Koaloha tenor. Did not like it much personally. The frets are like logs and also, it sounded a bit flat in areas without much projection. Koaloha is known for their concerts. I have one of their super-concerts and I love it and play it all the time.

I currently have a Koaloha Tenor and absolutely love it. I used to play a Leolani Tenor (which got handed down to my son) and they are like night and day in comparison.

The one thing that I found most noticeable about the Koaloha Tenor is the weight. It is SUPER light - due to the way the sound box is constructed, which in turn generates a very pleasing and audible tone.

The only problem (which wasn't much of a problem at all) I had with the Koaloha Tenor is the fact that it came with Hilo Low G strings. First, I don't much care for the sound of Low G. Second, the Hilo Strings are just crap IMHO. The strings sounded like something off a toy ukulele - but once I changed over to Aquila High G (No wound) all Nylgut - the sound seemed to jump out. A HUGE DIFFERENCE!

That's just my $.02. :D

If you want to hear/see a couple of awesome Koaloha Tenors - Click Here!

Last edited:
If you want to hear/see a couple of awesome Koaloha Tenors - Click Here!

YUp I know this video, I'm used listening to it at least once a week.
When I want to show to people what are the possibilities of the ukulele, I show them While my Guitar gently weeps, Let's Dance, and this one ...
These guys are awesome !!

[to mods: sorry for going off-topic, perhaps I should repost the question in another forum here...]

UKESTAR and Poi Dog: thanks for the input. What draws me to the Koaloha is their simple but interesting form, the sleek headstock, and indeed what I found out after fondling one at the store: these things are ultralight!
Unfortunately the less than ideal strings that come with it standard, and the fact that my sample wouldn't tune nicely due to the new strings didn't make it the experience I had hoped for. And add to that seriously jittery fingers and a voice in my head screaming: "Don't drop it!!!" over and over again... exhausting.

The simple look seems to be coming up a bit though, with the Koa Pili Koko tenor looking very sober but sleek as well. A lot cheaper too.

[/off-topic]

Top Bottom