Any Ideas What This Chord Might Be?

I am thinking F add #11 may make sense.

Just tried it on UkeMaster iPhone app and it says Fadd#11.
:). Cool.

I was just curious.

Last edited:
It could be called F flatened5th?...

Well, you can't really call it an F(flat5) or any terminological variation thereof. Because that would imply that you've taken the 5th and flattened it. But in this case, a flat-five has been added, but the "normal" five is still there, unchanged. Really, that B note is more like a raised 4 (or #11) because of that.

As far as what "goes" with it, #11 chords suggest the lydian mode (I've even heard them called "lydian" chords sometimes). Since F lydian is the same as C ionion, which is the same as a C major scale, then any chord that's diatonic to the key of C would work with this chord: C, Dm, Em, F (normal), G or G7, Am, Bdim.

JJ

Let's not call it the Mayan apocalypse chord because that suggests the Mayans actually HAD an apocalypse...
The conquistachord?

Not to make light, or get off topic. It's late and that came to mind, so don't beat me up too much.

I've been relishing the conversations on theory in the "Tips" section. The more I read the more I learn, even though most of it goes over my head right now.

Maybe the chord is Greek?!?

Great reference ChamorroDT. Can't wait to read the light/sound wave theory. Tomorrow, after I've had some sleep.

Ah...of course...me dumb...the 5th of the F chord (C) is still being played on the open C string...duh!

So yeah... Fadd#11
Woop...now there's a chord name for showing off with!

Well, you can't really call it an F(flat5) or any terminological variation thereof. Because that would imply that you've taken the 5th and flattened it. But in this case, a flat-five has been added, but the "normal" five is still there, unchanged. Really, that B note is more like a raised 4 (or #11) because of that.

As far as what "goes" with it, #11 chords suggest the lydian mode (I've even heard them called "lydian" chords sometimes). Since F lydian is the same as C ionion, which is the same as a C major scale, then any chord that's diatonic to the key of C would work with this chord: C, Dm, Em, F (normal), G or G7, Am, Bdim.

JJ

I would have to go with an Fadd#11 (or Faddaug11).

Fb5 would be called F diminished fifth, no? Incidentally the diminished 5th is known as the devil's interval - it's the spooky sounding interval right at the start of Danse Macabre. Coincidence that the chord spells out the end of the world? I think not!

I've been tinkering around with 2012 for a while - It's a lovely sounding chord on uke. I like it in the following progression:

Am, Amadd9, F, Fadd#11, C, Cmaj7.

Play the Am and the F with the high C on the A string (2003 and 2013 respectively). A minor with an added 9th is the same as 2012, but with an open E string, i.e. 2002.

Top Bottom