Where do you keep your thumb while playing?

pad in the centre of the neck is correct but do what feels comfy for you, what is more important is to keep the knuckles at least in line with the fretboard so your fingers are not reaching round the neck for the strings. if in any doubt at all, watch some pro's.

pad in the centre of the neck is correct but do what feels comfy for you, what is more important is to keep the knuckles at least in line with the fretboard so your fingers are not reaching round the neck for the strings. if in any doubt at all, watch some pro's.

yeah with the way im doing it my fingers do't have much reach on the fretboard
only problem is i can't seem to keep a hold of the uke and switch chords when i play with my thumb behind the neck

anybody else have the same problem?

only problem is i can't seem to keep a hold of the uke and switch chords when i play with my thumb behind the neck

That's why I caved and have a strap on my ukes. I just can't hold them and change chords, for some reason.

CountryMouse

Hey i have my thum on top sorta peeking above but ive notcied i havve real trouble playing some chords like Bm (using GCEA tuning) which can be played alot easier withb the thumb on the back of the neck. Im gonna try and adjust my techique

Shoot! There are no rules. Whatever works for you. Look at all the players who are picking with just the thumb, or one finger, or two fingers and they all sound good to me. Hold the ukulele whatever way it works for you and change your thumb position whenever you darn well please. This ain't classical guitar. :)

Shoot! There are no rules. Whatever works for you. Look at all the players who are picking with just the thumb, or one finger, or two fingers and they all sound good to me. Hold the ukulele whatever way it works for you and change your thumb position whenever you darn well please. This ain't classical guitar. :)
:agree:
I love the "no rules" rule! Any time I read about some "proper" technique on the uke that I was unaware of, I'll usually give it a shot just to see how it fits in with all my other "improper" techniques. Sometimes they'll find a way in, but I never abandon anything I've been doing - the "old dog / new trick" syndrome. When my thumb does go behind the neck, it's usually to do bar chords. I do a lot of vibrato & bends, so to have it back there doesn't work for me, plus I use my thumb to mute the G string sometimes as well as to fret some notes - probably a habit I got playing guitar. When I'm soloing, it rarely goes back there.

Shameless plug: Check out some of my YT posts for examples of how not to play!:rolleyes:

Yes I have the same problem. With my thumb behind the neck there are some chord changes that almost have me drop my uke!! :confused: I don't know.....maybe a strap is the way to go :confused:

Yes I have the same problem. With my thumb behind the neck there are some chord changes that almost have me drop my uke!! :confused: I don't know.....maybe a strap is the way to go :confused:

I had the same trouble when I started, but perseverance paid off, and now the ukulele is quite safe. Of course, I have to juggle with it a little when moving my thumb around.

I now officially have straps on all three of my ukuleles. WhenDogsSing put a strap button on the cigar box ukulele he gave me, so now it doesn't feel like it's going to fall. :p

CountryMouse

the proper way to play is with the thumb down on the neck but some chords are just easier to play with your thumb wrapped around.

One of the best books I ever read on ergonomics of playing a string instrument was written for bass players.

For starters, most guitarists are too concerned about wrist/hand and not forearm.

Second, too much force when fretting, too much forearm tension in fretting arm.

Third, the misconception that a much lower action is somehow less "stressful" or a slimmer neck/flatter neck is always less "stressful."

Thumb behind the neck too frequently becomes thumb pressed too hard into the neck whatever you end up doing with it.

With that said, I think more folks could play a soprano much better by being relaxed (forearm esp.) with some arch in a hand/wrist that is arched yet not as tight.

The thumb issue, at least for me, has more to do with how much force/pressure than even where the thumb winds up.

I keep my thumb in my pocket, usually.

j/k, in deed I do as Sebi said. or lets just say: I put my thumb on different places depending on what I do with the rest of the fingers. when I'm playing barred chords, it's a little under the center of the neck, otherwise the neck is just resting in that place between thumb and index. it might need some practice until you get to the point where your uke won't fall down while changing, but it is very relaxing to play like this.

Keeping the thumb behind the neck tends to keep the wrist straighter which allows you to exert more power with less effort. Additionally it will allow your fingers to move more freely and independently. Try this simple test. Curl your wrist by flexing your fist toward your bicep. Now exert as much gripping force as you can. Also examine the range of motion in your fingers. Now try it with a straight wrist. You don't have to worry about keeping the thumb in the same place at all times relative to the center line of the neck. Allow for natural movement but the aim is to exert the right amount of force with the least effort.

Over the years I have learned that good teachers recommend doing fundamental aspects of playing a certain way for a reason. The act of playing the ukulele is a physical discipline just like gymnastics. The movements are complex and must be executed cleanly for the best sound. When you break it down, developing your body to execute movement is a large part of playing. You can enjoy great benefit from practicing the fundamentals like playing position, basic strokes and strums, left hand technique for chords and scale passages.

Of course, if this doesn't matter that's okay too. there are no rules, only suggestions.

I'm new to the ukulele and have used my thumb to play Am and D wrapping it over. Is that acceptable or you think I'm setting myself up for disaster later.

I'm new to the ukulele and have used my thumb to play Am and D wrapping it over. Is that acceptable or you think I'm setting myself up for disaster later.

We're both from NJ so let me answer you bluntly: yes...with "disaster" not the best word.

I've got to say this: there's a reason for proper technique. Was this just something established by a board of control freaks? Or something that over time was reestablished and confirmed in an organic sense?

Organic sense: you are not simply playing Am or D but a chord in the context of other chords...that "occur" in potential, anticipation...even before you play THOSE chords.

I won't say "disaster": limiting.

In short, you are establishing separate contexts for separate chords.

put a strap on. no need for holes or any other invasive techniques, just tie a shoelace around the hole and around the headstock.

then find the position that allows you to play well using as less force as possible.
i tend to keep my thumb on the back of the neck only when necessary. it hurts me to keep it on the back all the time.

that's my opinion.

Top Bottom