Beater Uke..

KenjiBeast

Reaction score
I'm in the market for a ukulele somewhere between "Playable" and "toy". I'm looking for something around 30-40$+shipping, and I'm not sure what my options are. I've used the search button and apparently a lot of folks have nice things to say about the plastic Kala dolphin bridge ukes, but I'm also looking into Rogue and/or mahalo.

Thank you!

I'm in the market for a ukulele somewhere between "Playable" and "toy". I'm looking for something around 30-40$+shipping, and I'm not sure what my options are. I've used the search button and apparently a lot of folks have nice things to say about the plastic Kala dolphin bridge ukes, but I'm also looking into Rogue and/or mahalo.

Thank you!

I have heard nothing but high praise for these.

Thank you!
The Makala Dolphins are great ukes for the money! I got one for each of my grandkids and one came in plastic, the other the older style wood and they both sound very good. Got them from MGM and they are perfectly set up with Aquila's. I highly recomend them as well as the plain wood Makalas, I love my tenor. I've never tried the Rogue or Mahalo.

Alright. So I'm looking at one price bracket higher and at this point I'm seriously considering one of those budget Lanikai ukuleles. I know there can't possibly be that much variation between models, so the dolphins are definitely not out of the running.

That pineapple uke looks to be right up my alley... :)

Another vote for the Makala Dolphin, and don't let the price fool you. It's really a decent 'ukulele for twice the price. The plastic body (Laminate top) makes this literally a beater as in you can beat someone over the head with it without damaging it. Keep it in your car, take it to the beach, no problem. Get it thru MGM fully set up and with a case. ;)

I would say get the Makala too. I do have 2 Lanikais, the Lu-11 and the Lu21 Pineapple and love them both. I'm gonna get a Makala but the woodgrain one.
But first I need to get the kala flametop soprano!
Ernest

I'm also looking into Rogue and/or mahalo.

Thank you!
I've got a cheap Mahalo - it's my only uke (for now). It seems OK for the price, but I'm finding it somewhat unsatisfactory - I'm looking around for something with a better tone (the Mahalo sounds a little cheap, if you know what I mean - it's probably the strings) so I can use the Mahalo as a beater travel uke.

Makala dolphins are great. No disrespect intended to Fuzzy and other Mahalo players, but the Makala is definitely superior to any Mahalo I ever played - and half a dozen of my bandmates have Mahalos of various kinds.

If I were in your shoes I'd already have ordered a Makala from MGM set up with Aquila strings. :)

Makala = :rock:

No disrespect intended to Fuzzy and other Mahalo players, but the Makala is definitely superior to any Mahalo I ever played
No worries - I had never played before and so got a cheap uke (knowing it was a cheap uke)to see if I'd like it. Of course I do, so now I want to upgrade.
The suggestions on this thread are helpful...

I also prefer the Dolphins to the low-end Mahalos.

The Lanikais are nice too, and they have the advantage of looking a bit more "legit". Still, for a fun "beater" uke, I don't think they're worth the extra dough.

If my budget allowed for a $60 Lanikai, I'd just get two $30 Makalas instead. :D

JJ

When I was looking for my Uke a few weeks back I was mainly looking at the Makala Dolphin and the Kohala Lanikai (it's the HU-212 but in a darker stain) and I chose the Lanikai and haven't regretted it. I think there was about £10 difference between the two but I'd heard good things about Lanikai Ukes and personally liked the look of the dark finish so I went with that one.

Top Bottom