Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Uke Scales - Diagrams

I just wanted to contribute to this thread a bit :3 You guys might have noticed that aside from the minor pentatonic, there seems to be an absence of minor scales like Gm Dm Am and all that fun stuff. Well, they are actually there. Every major key has a relative minor, you find it by taking the 6th note in the scale and make it the first note. So for example, in C, we have C D E F G A B C. It's relative key is Am, and thus, the a minor scale is A B C D E F G A. So if you want to play a solo in Aminor, use the C scale! Tada
    So hidden you need a cheat code

Hey guys, come see me on youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/UnlockableCharacter

Thanks for all your work, grumpy! These charts are great reminders and they're visually appealing to look at.

I also wanted to add to what hidden character said. There are three kinds of minor scales, the natural minor, the harmonic minor, and the melodic minor. The natural minor is explained very well by hidden character. The relative minor of C major is A minor. You use the same notes except you think of A as the main note. In the harmonic minor, you would use G# instead of G. Using harmonic minor can sometimes give something more of a "Gypsy Kings" flavor (for lack of a better word). Finally, there is melodic minor. This one can be a bit weird at first but it's worth knowing. If you playing up the scale of A minor, say from E to A, you would use F# and G#. When you play down the scale you would play the same notes as A natural minor. If you're not playing a scale passage, you can default to A harmonic minor.

Minor scales can greatly add to the flavor of your music. Having said that however, I must confess that I tend to use minor pentatonic, major pentatonic, and major scales for at least 90% of my soloing.

Kala Solid Body U-Bass, Kala Acacia Tenor, Risa Uke-Solid Tenor, Kiwaya K-Wave Les Paul Concert

Youtube | Facebook | Twitter
    Lessons in Ukulele, Singing, Guitar, Piano, and Making Videos. Available on Skype.

"The creation of wealth is certainly not to be despised, but in the long run the only human activities really worthwhile are the search for knowledge, and the creation of beauty." - Arthur C. Clarke.

"Beauty is truth, truth beauty." - John Keats

Thanks Grumpy: As some have said, a lot of work, but much appreciated. A PDF file would be nice I suppose, but what worked for me was to go to edit on tool bar and select all, then to file on tool bar and print, and they all printed out for me. Excellent material for study/reference. I have punched them and placed them in my chord/scale book. Sometimes we need to check out a scale or run and you have provided excellent material. You will be rewarded in Ukulele heaven So much to learn and remember! Happy strumming and picking!! Lozark

A pdf and a word document containing all of GrumpyCoyote's scale diagrams are available for download here. Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by pickletrip View Post
    A pdf and a word document containing all of GrumpyCoyote's scale diagrams are available for download here. Enjoy!
    Thank you! And another thanks for Grumpy for setting it up in the first place.

Kala Solid Body U-Bass, Kala Acacia Tenor, Risa Uke-Solid Tenor, Kiwaya K-Wave Les Paul Concert

Youtube | Facebook | Twitter
    Lessons in Ukulele, Singing, Guitar, Piano, and Making Videos. Available on Skype.

"The creation of wealth is certainly not to be despised, but in the long run the only human activities really worthwhile are the search for knowledge, and the creation of beauty." - Arthur C. Clarke.

"Beauty is truth, truth beauty." - John Keats

Quote Originally Posted by pickletrip View Post
    Thanks amigo... Great job.

Download my music @ ReverbNation
    Shameless plug for my videos.

Wow...thanks for all of the great scales. As a beginner who has been looking for resources on scales, this is the by far the best I've seen. I'm practically drooling...Thanks again!
    Cordoba 25CK
    Kala Acacia Tenor

I've been looking for stuff like this all over the web. Little did I know that it's right here on UU. Thanks loads mate!

Thank you for the scales, I was searching on line yesterday for this, and what I found was OK, but what you've come up with is outstanding...

I think this is the answer to my question... lol I'm learning the uke on my own using the book "Ukulele Method Book 1" and so far it's been clear and simple to follow. Fantastic! It has successfully taught me the basics on the picking the notes and strumming the chords. Also fantastic. But then they put the two together, and I could not wrap my head around how to change the notes while I'm still supposed to be strumming only one chord... I played around with it for a while a tried incorporating the two, which worked for the first song but then the very next song had even more notes changing during the chords!

And so began my journey to find the answer, which has nevertheless lead me here. lol, anyway, so I was hoping that if I explained my situation clear enough to you guys would then be able to help me figure out if this diagram is the answer to how i change notes during chords... or if I'm in the completely wrong area D

Thanks for all the help guys! I'm psyched that I ended up on this website somehow
    If you can choose how you act, why not choose happy?

Thread Information